Professional Web Applications Themes

Attach IP address to MAC address in Airport Extreme - Mac Networking

When I reboot my Airport Extreme my machines get assigned different local addresses. But I want them to always have the same local address while on my networks, when on another network they can be whatever they want to be. I can imagine a function in AE admin to attach a persistent IP address to MAC address but can't find such a feature. Is there even such a thing? -- Gnarlie http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html...

  1. #1

    Default Attach IP address to MAC address in Airport Extreme

    When I reboot my Airport Extreme my machines get assigned different local
    addresses. But I want them to always have the same local address while on my
    networks, when on another network they can be whatever they want to be.

    I can imagine a function in AE admin to attach a persistent IP address to
    MAC address but can't find such a feature.

    Is there even such a thing?

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Cogent/Cogent.html

    Gnarlodious Guest

  2. #2

    In article <BC3499F3.32BAE%invalid.>,
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:

    Use the network location to switch among different networks on the guest
    machines; then set the location for your AE network to use static IP
    address outside the DHCP range assigned to the AE.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    Entity Tom Stiller spoke thus:
     [/ref]

    That's exactly what I DIDN'T want to do. I wonder if there is any router
    that allows you to assign a persistent IP address to a MAC address?

    Gnarlodious Guest

  4. #4

    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > That's exactly what I DIDN'T want to do. I wonder if there is any router
    > that allows you to assign a persistent IP address to a MAC address?[/ref]

    Buffalo WBR-G54
    <http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/products/airstation/WBRG54.html>
    Neill Guest

  5. #5

    In article <BC354F8E.32D79%invalid.>,
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > That's exactly what I DIDN'T want to do. I wonder if there is any router
    > that allows you to assign a persistent IP address to a MAC address?
    >[/ref]

    My NetGear wireless router lets me do this. It's set to assign
    addresses via DHCP. But I've got Panther's Network control panel set to
    assign the IP address "Using DHCP with manual address". Then I chose an
    IP address just above the range specified for DHCP by the router.

    This works for me on my hardware. I have no idea if it would work with
    the Airport.

    Good luck,
    Mike

    --
    Mike Zulauf
    utah.edu

  6. #6

    In article <BC3499F3.32BAE%invalid.>,
    Gnarlodious <invalid.> wrote:

    I've always wondered if the DHCP server would remember who you were if
    you gave your Network setup a "DHCP Client ID" in the TCP/IP network
    prefernces, would the router give you the same IP address as long as the
    router was not restarted?

    I did a little experiment by disabling networking, and then re-enabling,
    and it seemed to work, but that is not the same as hours between
    connections, nor does it test rebooting the Mac.

    I'm also not sure if this is even close to what the original request was
    asking.

    What I've done is what has been suggested by a previous reply. I have
    different Network locations, and I use the Blue Apple Menu -> Location
    entry to switch between locations. I take advantage of the fact that at
    some locations I do not have Airport, so I remove it from the interfaces
    and thus when I switch to that locations, the Airport is automatically
    shut off, saving battery power. Also the locations that are used for
    using the modem and dialing out (like when traveling), are already setup
    with the phone number to dial out from the hotel room. And since I have
    several alternate phone numbers I can dial depending on where I am or
    what is up and what is down at work, I have a separate location for each
    access point. Also the different locations also take into account
    whether I'm behind the firewall at work, and thus need to setup Proxies
    or if I'm on the public internet. It is really not difficult to switch
    locations using the Blue Apple Menu -> Location entry. But I can
    understand you desire for total hands of adapation.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Entity Neill Massello spoke thus:

    Great! Affordable, too:
    <http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=305661&pfp=sr
    ch1>
    CompUSA.com - Product Details: AirStation 54Mbps Wireless Router Base
    Station

    -- Gnarlie

    Gnarlodious Guest