Professional Web Applications Themes

attaching *email* in OSX mail app - Mac Networking

I'm new to OSX so maybe I'm missing something very obvious. I'm unable to attach actual emails to an outgoing message. We use SpamAssassin on our local mail network. To add spam addys to the database requires ATTACHING the offending emails to an email message directed to our mail server. Forwarding or redirect does not work in SpamAssassin. I am able to attach virtually anything else using the Mail app but I cannot drag individual emails into the attachment window. I'm able to attach a whole mailbox (i.e. "in") but SpamAssassin is not able to differentiate the individual emails this ...

  1. #1

    Default attaching *email* in OSX mail app

    I'm new to OSX so maybe I'm missing something very obvious. I'm unable
    to attach actual emails to an outgoing message. We use SpamAssassin on
    our local mail network. To add spam addys to the database requires
    ATTACHING the offending emails to an email message directed to our mail
    server. Forwarding or redirect does not work in SpamAssassin. I am able
    to attach virtually anything else using the Mail app but I cannot drag
    individual emails into the attachment window. I'm able to attach a whole
    mailbox (i.e. "in") but SpamAssassin is not able to differentiate the
    individual emails this way.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks!

    Mike Kapitan
    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: attaching *email* in OSX mail app

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Mike Kapitan <net> wrote:

    You could try this: Click on the email you want blocked, then Save
    As.... with Raw Message Source format. You can then attach the saved
    file.
    iMeowbot@mac.com Guest

  3. #3

    In article <supernews.com>,
    com wrote:

    > You could try this: Click on the email you want blocked, then Save
    > As.... with Raw Message Source format. You can then attach the saved
    > file.[/ref]

    Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately that method does not work with
    SpamAssassin. It's easy to do in Outlook or OE but not in OSX Mail.
    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Mike Kapitan <net> wrote:

    Not sure I can help with your problem, I'm afraid. But can you confirm
    that whenever you send _any_ attachment, you 'drag to the attachment
    window'?
    I don't seem to have an attachment window, just a paperclip 'attach'
    icon on which I click to open the usual search window. I run version
    1.3.4; is there a later version that you're using?
    If you do have a paperclip icon on your version of Mail (at the top of
    the window of the 'New message' you're composing, why not try searching
    for the e-mail you want to attach, using that?

    Kind regards,
    Devi
    Devi Guest

  5. #5

    In article <server.ntli.net>,
    Devi Jankowicz <com> wrote:

    > Not sure I can help with your problem, I'm afraid. But can you confirm
    > that whenever you send _any_ attachment, you 'drag to the attachment
    > window'?
    > I don't seem to have an attachment window, just a paperclip 'attach'
    > icon on which I click to open the usual search window.[/ref]

    In Mail.app you can attach a file by dragging and dropping it into the
    message body window. That's probably what he means.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  6. #6

    On 2004-04-19, Devi Jankowicz <com> wrote:

    I don't think there's a clean solution.

    Fortunately Mail.app uses standard mbox format, so at least it's
    relatively easy to use unix mail programs on the same data. So as a
    klunky workaround, the OP could run one of the latter, point it at the
    Mail.app mbox file, and send the offending messaage as an attachment
    that way. This is how I send messages as attachments: I run VM in
    emacs, visit the mbox file that contains the message, and use
    vm-forward-message (VM has the good sense to forward via MIME
    attachments).

    He's referring to the main body of a new-message window.

    Because the paperclip icon launches a file browser, and a single
    message isn't a file.

    noman Guest

  7. #7

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Mike Kapitan <net> wrote:

    I'm using Mail 1.3.7. I am able to save a message to my desktop --
    once I do that is is a "file" (no longer a message in a mailbox) and
    as such can be attached to any outgoing mail.

    If your version won't do that, will this work.

    Suppose you create a mailbox named "Spam" just to use for to attach a
    message to a message. Put the spam in the "Spam" mailbox, attach the
    mailbox to the message, send it, then delete the "forwarded" message
    to make ready for the next spam message you want to attach.

    --
    Rod Smith
    Instantiate rodsmith at mac dot com for email

  8. #8

    In article <east.cox.net>,
    Rod Smith <net> wrote:

    > I'm using Mail 1.3.7. I am able to save a message to my desktop --
    > once I do that is is a "file" (no longer a message in a mailbox) and
    > as such can be attached to any outgoing mail.
    >
    > If your version won't do that, will this work.
    >
    > Suppose you create a mailbox named "Spam" just to use for to attach a
    > message to a message. Put the spam in the "Spam" mailbox, attach the
    > mailbox to the message, send it, then delete the "forwarded" message
    > to make ready for the next spam message you want to attach.[/ref]

    I tried that (see above) and it doesn't work. I'm also using mail 1.3.7.
    Saving messages strips them of the needed info (raw source is not
    readable by SpamAssassin). I need the RFC822 protocol used. This was
    SOOOO easy in Outlook Express or Outlook, (just drag *anything* into the
    attachments window).

    Thanks Rod!
    Mike Guest

  9. #9

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Mike Kapitan <net> wrote:

    It's really intended for reporting to spamcop.net, but if you wanted to
    you could take this Mail bundle:

    http://www.subsume.com/cgi-bin/go.pl?k=SpamCop

    And use your local target email address instead of a SpamCop reporting
    address.
    Doc Guest

  10. #10

    On 2004-04-20, Doc O'Leary <com> wrote:

    This action performed by this bundle is _identical_ to using Save As
    to save the raw text of a message and then attaching the resulting
    text file. It definitely does not create an attachment of the kind of
    the OP wants.

    noman Guest

  11. #11

    In article <F08hc.4487$GR.567194attbi_s01>,
    noman <net> wrote:

    Then I guess I'm not understanding what kind of attachment SpamAssassin
    needs. A quick search on Google doesn't turn up any obvious reasons SA
    wants something special. Please explain the difference and I can see
    about adding support.
    Doc Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    noman Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    In article <dsl.bbn.com>,
    noman <net> wrote:

    YES!!

    Mike Kapitan

    PS: Outlook/Outlook Express can attach emails in this manner.
    Now where's that Apple suggestion box? :)
    Mike Guest

  14. #14

    In article <dsl.bbn.com>,
    noman <net> wrote:

    Ah, I see. Cocoa supports NSTextAttachments, which seem only to be
    based on NSFileWrapper objects. I don't think there is any (easy) way
    to coerce them as necessary. Maybe it could be done with an
    AppleScript, but maybe a better solution is to move all SA-intended
    messages to their own mailbox and have something server side feed
    everything in that mbox file to SA.
    Doc Guest

  15. #15

    On 2004-04-21 17:22:55 -0400, Doc O'Leary <com> said:

    > Ah, I see. Cocoa supports NSTextAttachments, which seem only to be
    > based on NSFileWrapper objects. I don't think there is any (easy) way
    > to coerce them as necessary. Maybe it could be done with an
    > AppleScript, but maybe a better solution is to move all SA-intended
    > messages to their own mailbox and have something server side feed
    > everything in that mbox file to SA.[/ref]

    spamassassin can read messages that are in mbox format if you pass the
    --mbox argument to it. so every few days i pass it all the spam it
    didnt catch like this :

    sa-learn --spam --mbox ~/mail/newspam

    of course i should really just setup a cron to run that every day or
    so. maybe you could get in touch with the person who implemented this
    to allow you to send an entire mbox archive since spamassassin supports
    it.

    --
    -justin

    Justin Guest