Professional Web Applications Themes

Attachment support in MacSOUP - Mac Networking

Hey there, I seem to be having a very annoying problem, whereby PC users who receive mime encoded attachments sent via MacSOUP cannot open them. I'm not sure if this is related to Stuffit Expander not being able to extract some attachments sent to me, that I save as text files and drag and drop onto Expander. Any link? Anyway, sending the exact same mime attachment with other software works fine for the recipients. Just not if I drag and drop it into a MacSOUP message. Why is that? I can provide additional details and sample attachments on request. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Attachment support in MacSOUP

    Hey there,

    I seem to be having a very annoying problem, whereby PC users who
    receive mime encoded attachments sent via MacSOUP cannot open them. I'm
    not sure if this is related to Stuffit Expander not being able to
    extract some attachments sent to me, that I save as text files and drag
    and drop onto Expander. Any link?

    Anyway, sending the exact same mime attachment with other software works
    fine for the recipients. Just not if I drag and drop it into a MacSOUP
    message. Why is that?

    I can provide additional details and sample attachments on request. I am
    using MacSOUP 2.5 on a Rev c iMac running MacOS 8.6.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet
    Jamie Kahn Genet Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Attachment support in MacSOUP

    Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekgslingshot.co.nz> wrote:
    > Hey there,
    >
    > I seem to be having a very annoying problem, whereby PC users who
    > receive mime encoded attachments sent via MacSOUP cannot open them. I'm
    > not sure if this is related to Stuffit Expander not being able to
    > extract some attachments sent to me, that I save as text files and drag
    > and drop onto Expander. Any link?
    >
    > Anyway, sending the exact same mime attachment with other software works
    > fine for the recipients. Just not if I drag and drop it into a MacSOUP
    > message. Why is that?
    >
    > I can provide additional details and sample attachments on request. I am
    > using MacSOUP 2.5 on a Rev c iMac running MacOS 8.6.

    Since MIME attachements require a special header (to denote the MIME
    seperations), I would assume MacSOUP is stripping that header on a
    forward.

    But this is pure speculation on my part.

    I just UUEncode anything I want to attach, and copy-n-paste it into the
    message.

    --
    tim lindner
    [email]tlindnerix.netcom.com[/email] Bright

  3. #3

    Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekgslingshot.co.nz> wrote:
    > I seem to be having a very annoying problem, whereby PC users who
    > receive mime encoded attachments sent via MacSOUP cannot open them.
    How do you send MIME encode attachments with MacSOUP? MacSOUP doesn't
    support this (yet).

    If you encode the files yourself with something like mpack, and then
    drop the encoded file into a MacSOUP message, it's no surprise that it
    doesn't work. MacSOUP labels the message as plain text, so the receiver
    will see all the MIME encoding garbage.

    It's just not possible to send file attachments with MacSOUP, sorry. In
    the rare cases where I need to do it myself, I usually resort to Eudora
    or Mail.

    --
    Stefan Haller
    Berlin, Germany