Professional Web Applications Themes

Audio Stream distorted when passing audio streams to/from mac andpc - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

We are having the oddest problem. We have a video conference room of sorts, where a main moderator has video/audio to all other users. All other users can press a button and use an audio stream to talk with the moderator and others. This works perfectly when using pc to pc. But if we have the moderator as a mac, or users as macs, the audio stream becomes distorted when recieved by the mac. It sounds as if the sample rate is being changed on the mac to a lower sample rate (as if "satan" is talking back to you). ...

  1. #1

    Default Audio Stream distorted when passing audio streams to/from mac andpc

    We are having the oddest problem. We have a video conference room of
    sorts, where a main moderator has video/audio to all other users. All
    other users can press a button and use an audio stream to talk with the
    moderator and others. This works perfectly when using pc to pc. But if
    we have the moderator as a mac, or users as macs, the audio stream
    becomes distorted when recieved by the mac.

    It sounds as if the sample rate is being changed on the mac to a lower
    sample rate (as if "satan" is talking back to you).

    Has anyone every encountered this?

    We are using FCS 1.5, Flash 8, no components, just a normal netstream
    publish.

    So:
    PC to PC = fine
    Mac to PC = the devil
    PC to Mac = the devil

    Thanks,

    BackBayChef
    [url]www.how2dance.com[/url]
    [url]www.cultureshocked.net[/url]
    BackBayChef Guest

  2. #2

    Macs have a problem with the default audio rate, 8 I believe. Use setRate() on
    the microphone to change the rate. Just bump it to 11 for example. You'll use
    a little more bandwidth but will have better audio quality and no distortion on
    the macs.

    cmowers Guest

  3. #3

    cmowers wrote:
    > Macs have a problem with the default audio rate, 8 I believe. Use setRate() on
    > the microphone to change the rate. Just bump it to 11 for example. You'll use
    > a little more bandwidth but will have better audio quality and no distortion on
    > the macs.

    would this account for why their stream comes in sounding weird when
    they are on a pc sending audio to the mac? I mean wouldn't their audio
    sound normal then?

    Thanks again,

  4. #4

    This is a known bug in Flash Player 8 on the mac. cmowers is correct, use setRate(5) or setRate(11) and that should clear things up.

    Cheers,
    FlashTastic
    FlashTastic Guest

  5. #5

    Hi there, I've been having exactly the same problem. The only problem now....
    How do I implement your solution? Where do I change the setRate() for
    the microphone? Is it in a component? I'm new to this!
    Thanks... Ronnie

    Ronnie Johnston Guest

  6. #6

    Are you having exactly the same problem?
    >>using FCS 1.5, Flash 8, no components, just a normal netstream
    >>publish.
    Normally, when creating a communications app without using components, you'd
    have some lines of code to set up the microphone, camera, etc. and that's where
    you'd implement this solution.

    //get the microphone
    var user_mic:Microphone = Microphone.get()
    //set the audio transmission to 11khz
    user_mic.setRate(11)

    Cheers,
    FlashTastic

    FlashTastic Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for that, You're right! Slightly different scenario. Flash media
    server2, and a video chat app using components, but the results between PC's
    and macs exactly as described. Since I posted, a friend has fixed the app
    although I don't know how he did it. Thanks for you help.

    Ronnie

    Ronnie Johnston Guest