Professional Web Applications Themes

auto dial - PERL Beginners

dear all, i want to dial automatically to phone through my PC getting numbers from text/etc. file. how could i do it in PERL. thanks Adam...

  1. #1

    Default auto dial

    dear all,
    i want to dial automatically to phone through my PC getting numbers
    from text/etc. file.
    how could i do it in PERL.
    thanks

    Adam
    Adam Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: auto dial

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Adam Saeed wrote:

    * Perl is the language, perl is the program that implements it.
    PERL is not a word; please do not capitalize it.

    * Questions end in question marks. Easy, right? :-)

    * We need to know about your environment -- what kind of PC (Windows?),
    what kind of phone (cell phone? landline?), how you're connecting to the
    phone (serial communication? Intellisync or similar software?), etc.

    This is an interesting problem, but you need to describe what tools you
    have to work with in order for us to begin to help you. Please write
    back to the list describing in detail what you've got, and especially,
    what you've tried to do so far.

    --
    Chris Devers
    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    Default Compiling and distributing Perl

    Ok, I have a "sane compiler" toolset installed on my development server, but
    NOT on several servers on which I want Perl. (Where the development and
    production servers are the same architecture.)

    Can I build & install Perl on my development server, and then just
    distribute it as a tarball to the production servers?

    What about installation of custom Perl modules? How can these be integrated
    into my custom distribution on the production servers without a compiler
    toolset on the production servers? Can they?

    I hope this wasn't too vague/broad a question. Please interrogate if more
    info is needed.

    Thanks..!

    Karl K.

    Karl Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Compiling and distributing Perl

    From: "Karl Kaufman" <net>

    Yes. If all servers are using the same OS&architecture you should be
    able to do that. It would be better if you told us what architecture
    it is though.

    I can confirm that this does indeed work just fine for al kinds of MS
    Windows in Intel machines.

    To keep things simple you should keep the path to the instalation the
    same on all servers. Otherwise you may have to change some paths in
    Config.pm and maybe a few other places.

    Again ... if the OS & architecture is the same you should be able to
    compile the modules on the dev server and then copy the results to
    the production ones.

    Jenda
    ===== cz === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
    -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery

    Jenda Guest

  5. #5

    thanks Chris, for correcting syntax.
    the scenario is:
    operating system: Linux
    phone line is normal phone we use in our homes.
    I have a list of phone numbers in a spredsheet file(e.g *.xls) pick up
    number from there and automatically dial to that number through phone.
    I am new to Perl thats why i posted it here to know how it could be
    done in Perl.
    which module should be use, is there any program similar to this one
    has been built or not. etc.
    thanks
    Adam,

    On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:32:51 -0400 (EDT), Chris Devers <com> wrote:

    > * Perl is the language, perl is the program that implements it.
    > PERL is not a word; please do not capitalize it.
    >
    > * Questions end in question marks. Easy, right? :-)
    >
    > * We need to know about your environment -- what kind of PC (Windows?),
    > what kind of phone (cell phone? landline?), how you're connecting to the
    > phone (serial communication? Intellisync or similar software?), etc.
    >
    > This is an interesting problem, but you need to describe what tools you
    > have to work with in order for us to begin to help you. Please write
    > back to the list describing in detail what you've got, and especially,
    > what you've tried to do so far.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Devers
    >[/ref]

    -
    Adam Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for the reply, Jenda.

    (OS/arch is Solaris8/Sparc)

    The difficulty will be knowing exactly which files were added by a module
    install -- if I want to distribute per module. Otherwise, I guess I can
    just roll the updated site_perl directory structure. Yes?

    > Yes. If all servers are using the same OS&architecture you should be
    > able to do that. It would be better if you told us what architecture
    > it is though.
    >
    > I can confirm that this does indeed work just fine for al kinds of MS
    > Windows in Intel machines.
    >
    > To keep things simple you should keep the path to the instalation the
    > same on all servers. Otherwise you may have to change some paths in
    > Config.pm and maybe a few other places.

    > Again ... if the OS & architecture is the same you should be able to
    > compile the modules on the dev server and then copy the results to
    > the production ones.
    >
    > Jenda
    > ===== cz === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
    > When it comes to wine, women and song, wizards are allowed
    > -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery
    >

    > --
    > For additional commands, e-mail: org
    > <http://learn.perl.org/> <http://learn.perl.org/first-response>
    >
    >[/ref]

    Karl Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Adam Saeed wrote:

    Okay, we still need to be more concrete here.

    Do you actually mean an Excel spreadsheet .xls file, or something else?
    If the data you need is in an Excel file, you need to use the CPAN
    module Spreadsheet::PExcel to get the data out:

    <http://search.cpan.org/~kwitknr/Spreadsheet-PExcel-0.2603/PExcel.pm>

    If it's a simple CSV file, you could get away with parsing the file
    manually, but Excel is too complicated to bother with manually.

    It looks like Modem::Vgetty may be able to interact with a voice modem,
    but the most recent version was 1998, so I'm not sure how well it'll
    work. Still, that seems to be about the only option, so you might as
    well start there:

    <http://search.cpan.org/~yenya/Modem-Vgetty-0.03/Vgetty.pm>

    Setting aside Perl for a moment, what tools do you have that have
    actually gotten you anywhere with this project? Are you able to get your
    contact info out of the file it lives in, or do you need help there? Are
    you able to get the computer to dial a number, or talk to the modem &/or
    phone, or does that need to be sorted out?

    Please describe in some detail what you have so far. Also, be aware that
    this list isn't a script writing service -- we can point you towards
    good doentation and we can answer concrete questions, but we cannot
    help without first knowing what you've tried so far and what did and did
    not work the way you were expecting.

    --
    Chris Devers
    Chris Guest

  8. #8

    thanks again for quick reply Chris,
    I want to built a opensource utility for telemarketers. i.e they have
    a list of hundreds of numbers they have to dail, for windows there
    exists a commercial software, but for linux i do not know any, so i
    want to built it for linux so that linux users could also enjoy it.
    I did'nt mean to get script from here, i posted here to get initial
    ideas to be purified and sharpened so problem statement and algo, must
    become clear..... i.e a way should be seen to do this.
    Thanks again
    Adam

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:45:52 -0400 (EDT), Chris Devers <com> wrote:

    > Okay, we still need to be more concrete here.
    >
    > Do you actually mean an Excel spreadsheet .xls file, or something else?
    > If the data you need is in an Excel file, you need to use the CPAN
    > module Spreadsheet::PExcel to get the data out:
    >
    > <http://search.cpan.org/~kwitknr/Spreadsheet-PExcel-0.2603/PExcel.pm>
    >
    > If it's a simple CSV file, you could get away with parsing the file
    > manually, but Excel is too complicated to bother with manually.
    >
    > It looks like Modem::Vgetty may be able to interact with a voice modem,
    > but the most recent version was 1998, so I'm not sure how well it'll
    > work. Still, that seems to be about the only option, so you might as
    > well start there:
    >
    > <http://search.cpan.org/~yenya/Modem-Vgetty-0.03/Vgetty.pm>
    >
    > Setting aside Perl for a moment, what tools do you have that have
    > actually gotten you anywhere with this project? Are you able to get your
    > contact info out of the file it lives in, or do you need help there? Are
    > you able to get the computer to dial a number, or talk to the modem &/or
    > phone, or does that need to be sorted out?
    >
    > Please describe in some detail what you have so far. Also, be aware that
    > this list isn't a script writing service -- we can point you towards
    > good doentation and we can answer concrete questions, but we cannot
    > help without first knowing what you've tried so far and what did and did
    > not work the way you were expecting.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Devers
    >
    > --
    > For additional commands, e-mail: org
    > <http://learn.perl.org/> <http://learn.perl.org/first-response>

    Allah Hafiz
    O! God Thy sea is so great and my boat is so small.
    Adam
    Adam Guest

  9. #9

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Adam Saeed wrote:

    Ahh, I see.

    Well, I'm fresh out of ideas in that case.

    Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :-)

    --
    Chris Devers
    Chris Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:52:14 -0400 (EDT), Chris Devers <com> wrote:

    > Ahh, I see.
    >
    > Well, I'm fresh out of ideas in that case.
    >
    > Good luck, and let us know how it goes! :-)
    >

    > --
    > Chris Devers
    >[/ref]

    Wait!

    Why don't you give us your home telephone number and We'll call you
    (probably everyday) with our ideas to help you (probably when you are
    eating or trying to go to sleep). Won't that be nice?

    --Errin
    Errin Guest

  11. #11

  12. #12

    On 10/7/2004 2:43 PM, Karl Kaufman wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    I think that there are configure and MakeMaker options to explicitly
    support what you are trying to do. This is what the package maintainers
    like dep and rpm use. But I've never really looked into it myself and
    I'm on a Windows box right now, so I can't easily check. Have you looked
    at all the options?

    Randy.

    Randy Guest