Professional Web Applications Themes

Auto Download/Install components/objects from ASP (IIS) - ASP Components

Good Morning !!! I am hosting an intranet server on IIS (W2K) using ASP. My clients (W95 & W98 with varying HW/SW configurations) can access the site over the LAN. My problem is, if I have used any components(objects) which is not registered / installed on the client machine in the , the site is not working. Say for example If I am using an ADODB connection in a javascript to validate the inputs in the ASP page or I am using a Calendar control to enter the date and which is not registered in the clients machine, site is ...

  1. #1

    Default Auto Download/Install components/objects from ASP (IIS)

    Good Morning !!!

    I am hosting an intranet server on IIS (W2K) using ASP. My
    clients (W95 & W98 with varying HW/SW configurations) can
    access the site over the LAN.

    My problem is, if I have used any components(objects)
    which is not registered / installed on the client machine
    in the , the site is not working. Say for example If I am
    using an ADODB connection in a javascript to validate the
    inputs in the ASP page or I am using a Calendar control to
    enter the date and which is not registered in the clients
    machine, site is showing error messages/ my data is not
    saving.

    If I register the component on the client site is working
    properly. It is very difficult to install the components
    each time as we have more than 50 machines in the network

    My question is,
    1)Is it possible to host all the required components in
    the IIS server itself and client can use the components as
    they use asp pages etc. If yes How ?

    2)Is it possible to host the components in the IIS server
    and client can download and register the required
    components as and when it is required from the server. If
    yes how?

    Thanks in advance

    BijuThomas Guest

  2. #2

    "BijuThomas" <thomasbijueth.net> wrote in message
    > Good Morning !!!
    >
    > I am hosting an intranet server on IIS (W2K) using ASP. My
    > clients (W95 & W98 with varying HW/SW configurations) can
    > access the site over the LAN.
    >
    > My problem is, if I have used any components(objects)
    > which is not registered / installed on the client machine
    > in the , the site is not working. Say for example If I am
    > using an ADODB connection in a javascript to validate the
    > inputs in the ASP page or I am using a Calendar control to
    > enter the date and which is not registered in the clients
    > machine, site is showing error messages/ my data is not
    > saving.
    >
    > If I register the component on the client site is working
    > properly. It is very difficult to install the components
    > each time as we have more than 50 machines in the network
    >
    > My question is,
    > 1)Is it possible to host all the required components in
    > the IIS server itself and client can use the components as
    > they use asp pages etc. If yes How ?
    >
    > 2)Is it possible to host the components in the IIS server
    > and client can download and register the required
    > components as and when it is required from the server. If
    > yes how?
    It's all possible. You need to use the CODEBASE property to point to a
    binary file that the client and automatically download and register from the
    web page:
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/components/activex/packaging.asp[/url]

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP