Professional Web Applications Themes

Auto-launching VLC w/ Safari? - Mac Networking

Apple Strudel wrote: > Lee Phillips <leeleeHYPHENphillips.org.invalid> wrote: > > >>>How do I tell Safari and/or OSX to launch VLC when I'm in Safari and I >>>click on a link to an avi file? Windows Media Player and RealOne Player >>>are able to launch automatically, but not VLC. >> >>Have you tried associating VLC with with avi through the usual >>"Get info" route? > > > Yes, but it only works when double-clicking on a file, not from clicking > on a Safari link. I also installed the PrefPane "More Internet' which > lets you customize associations, but that doesn't ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Auto-launching VLC w/ Safari?

    Apple Strudel wrote:
    > Lee Phillips <leeleeHYPHENphillips.org.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>>How do I tell Safari and/or OSX to launch VLC when I'm in Safari and I
    >>>click on a link to an avi file? Windows Media Player and RealOne Player
    >>>are able to launch automatically, but not VLC.
    >>
    >>Have you tried associating VLC with with avi through the usual
    >>"Get info" route?
    >

    > Yes, but it only works when double-clicking on a file, not from clicking
    > on a Safari link. I also installed the PrefPane "More Internet' which
    > lets you customize associations, but that doesn't work w/ Safari links
    > to avi files either.
    I run Mozilla (ie Netscrape 7.1). I tell it to download the file to my desktop.
    I start VLC and open it through that app.

    HTH

    Elizabot Guest

  2. #2

    In article <3f7e4a59$0$198$75868355news.frii.net>, Elizabot
    <toolittletoolatepoo.com> wrote:
    > Apple Strudel wrote:

    > >>Have you tried associating VLC with with avi through the usual
    > >>"Get info" route?
    > >

    > > Yes, but it only works when double-clicking on a file, not from clicking
    > > on a Safari link. I also installed the PrefPane "More Internet' which
    > > lets you customize associations, but that doesn't work w/ Safari links
    > > to avi files either.
    >
    > I run Mozilla (ie Netscrape 7.1). I tell it to download the file to my
    > desktop.
    > I start VLC and open it through that app.

    Kind of a roundabout variation. Download to a folder that has a Folder
    Action (i.e. AppleScript) attached that automatically opens newly
    deposited files in vlc.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    ----------
    In article <1g29stk.9s0ray146ngjkN%a1fields2not>,
    [email]a1fields2not[/email] (Apple Strudel) wrote:

    > Lee Phillips <leeleeHYPHENphillips.org.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> > How do I tell Safari and/or OSX to launch VLC when I'm in Safari and I
    >> > click on a link to an avi file? Windows Media Player and RealOne Player
    >> > are able to launch automatically, but not VLC.
    >>
    >> Have you tried associating VLC with with avi through the usual
    >> "Get info" route?
    >
    > Yes, but it only works when double-clicking on a file, not from clicking
    > on a Safari link. I also installed the PrefPane "More Internet' which
    > lets you customize associations, but that doesn't work w/ Safari links
    > to avi files either.
    How about if you,
    Find a link in safari that opens Windows Media Player, then
    Locate WMP in your apps folder, disable it (just stuff it and delete the
    original) now click on the link again and see what sort of msg Safari gives
    you, it may give you the option to assosiate VLC or at least it may give a
    clue where it gets its info from, you can always unstuff WMP later!
    Wally Guest

  4. #4

    Perhaps the issue is MIME type: what does the server say the MIME type is,
    and then how does Safari handle that type.

    Internet Explorer allows you to customize what you want to do with MIME
    tupes, but I don't see any way to modify how Safari handles any particular
    MIME type.

    Tim Murray Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bltrg5$6um$1oravannahka.helsinki.fi>,
    l <macusernomail.com.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <041020030710073789%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>,
    > sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > Kind of a roundabout variation. Download to a folder that has a
    > > Folder Action (i.e. AppleScript) attached that automatically opens
    > > newly deposited files in vlc.
    >
    > Have Folder Actions changed so they can do that?
    Yes. This happened in Jaguar. I've got a Folder Action set up to sort
    various types of downloaded files into various folders.
    --
    "First, let me make it very clear, poor people aren't necessarily killers. Just
    because you happen to be not rich doesn't mean you're willing to kill."