Professional Web Applications Themes

Auto-numbering figures and tables - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hello everyone, I'm trying to use InDesign CS to write a scientific paper--I just love its freeform layout capabilities. But there's no native support for adding figure and table numbers and for referencing them. There are some plugins, of course, notably the Virginia Systems Sonar Bookends stuff, which cost $195 or more each package. Now as a student I got InDesign CS myself for $200, so it makes no sense to get a plugin for the same price. Is there any free or cheaper plugin out there that does auto-numbering and auto-references for figures and tables? I was thinking of ...

  1. #1

    Default Auto-numbering figures and tables

    Hello everyone,

    I'm trying to use InDesign CS to write a scientific paper--I just love its freeform layout capabilities. But there's no native support for adding figure and table numbers and for referencing them. There are some plugins, of course, notably the Virginia Systems Sonar Bookends stuff, which cost $195 or more each package. Now as a student I got InDesign CS myself for $200, so it makes no sense to get a plugin for the same price.

    Is there any free or cheaper plugin out there that does auto-numbering and auto-references for figures and tables?

    I was thinking of writing some scripts, too, so if you happen to have some tips, please share!

    Many thanks!

    David
    david_francois_huynh@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Auto-numbering figures and tables

    David,

    I know of no other plug-ins for this so I think a script could be the best solution for you. A script will not dynamically update the numbering like a plug-in would but it would be easy to create.

    Phil Redman
    pjredman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Phil,

    Thanks for your reply! Do you know of any resource (books, online help) that would help me do this?

    I am thinking of putting XML tag (e.g., <my:figure id="aCoolFigure">caption here</my:figure>) on each figure's caption and then have the script iterate over all <my:figure> tags and generate the figure label or something like that... Am I on the right track?

    Thanks again!

  4. #4

    Why not check the scripting forum?

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Good idea! :) Silly me... Thanks!

  6. #6

    > Am I on the right track?

    I would prefer the usage of char styles that doesn't change everything to
    mark the area where the script will insert the chapter numbering. Is easier
    to handle during the creation of the text. I wrote a script for the PC
    version some time ago to handle this five levels deep, but only for chapter
    counting, not yet figure numbering. The only disadvantage is that it has to
    be triggered manually to work on the doent.

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest

  7. #7

    That sounds very relevant. Would you mind sharing the code? Thanks!

  8. #8

    > That sounds very relevant. Would you mind sharing the code? Thanks!

    As I'm at work and the programms are at home, please write me a mail to
    [email]jenstrickbetrueger.org[/email] (with a good subject so my spam filter will not
    trash your mail) and tell me which InDesign windows version you will use,
    because there are different executables for ID2 and IDCS needed because of
    slightly changes in the object modell. The programm is coded in Visual Basic
    6.

    Jens

    Jens Schulze Guest