Professional Web Applications Themes

Automated HTML generation? - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

i don't know if this is the right place ffor this question, or if Dreamweaver can do this, but I figured it was close enough. I have a client site the I just built in Flash with a lot of external XML and text files containing the content. Now, purely for the purposes of SEO, I want to generate an individual HTML page for each of the products. Ideally, this would mean I would be able to create one template page that has placeholders for the contents of the different XML nodes (some are text, some are links to PNGs, ...

  1. #1

    Default Automated HTML generation?

    i don't know if this is the right place ffor this question, or if Dreamweaver
    can do this, but I figured it was close enough.

    I have a client site the I just built in Flash with a lot of external XML and
    text files containing the content. Now, purely for the purposes of SEO, I want
    to generate an individual HTML page for each of the products.

    Ideally, this would mean I would be able to create one template page that has
    placeholders for the contents of the different XML nodes (some are text, some
    are links to PNGs, some are A HREFs), then run a script of some sort that would
    run thru the XML files and spit out hundreds of HTML pages, one for each entry,
    with all the links to the external content in place.

    Does such a beast exist or can Dreamweaver do this? I don't need it to do
    anything fancy like load the content dynamically, because I don't want to get
    into a big server-side application, PHP, all that other stuff. I just want it
    to hard-wire the html with links to the location of the graphics, etc., but be
    able to design the template nicely myself. These are just going to be
    standalone static HTML pages that have individual product info and direct
    people to go to the main Flash site.

    Oh yeah, I'm on Mac OSX Tiger. Thought I should mention that!

    Any help appreciated.

    Bentmen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Automated HTML generation?

    Bentmen wrote:

    The scenario you're describing is exactly what PHP (or any other
    server-side language) is for. To answer your question directly: no,
    Dreamweaver can't do what you want. To go a step further: the XSL
    Transformation server behavior in Dreamweaver is ideally suited to
    generating content on the fly from XML files. It requires the XSL
    extension to be enabled on PHP 5 (it also works with PHP 4 and
    Sablotron, but PHP 4 has reached the end of its life, so you should
    really use it with PHP 5).

    --
    David Powers, Adobe Community Expert
    Author, "The Essential Guide to Dreamweaver CS3" (friends of ED)

  3. #3

    Hi David:

    Many thanks for the swift reply.

    The thing is -- the only reason I'm doing this is for SEO, otherwise I
    wouldn't bother. Unless I am making an incorrect assumption, there needs to
    physically be an individual page for each product residing at an SEO-friendly
    URL with SEO-friendly keywords attached.

    The site itself is a single-movie Flash file with deep linking enabled thru
    SWFAdress for the product categories and a slick little interface to bring up
    the individual product info. But they can't bookmark an individual product,
    because that part is pulled in dynamically.

    I don't know what if any version of PHP is on the server (it's in-house, not
    at an ISP) or how savvy thier IT person is with PHP, but another wrinkle in
    this is the final solution has to be easy enough to edit (as products come and
    go) that an in-house non-HTML person can make changes.

    At the moment, I've got it to where all the XML is broken out in an Excel
    spreadsheet and all they have to do is cut 'n' paste rows into a text editor.
    PHP might be way over their (and, frankly, my) head.

    My thanks again.

    Bentmen Guest

  4. #4

    Bentmen wrote:

    Search engines are perfectly capable of dealing with dynamically
    generated pages, and the URL doesn't need to be "SEO-friendly". Do a
    Google search for any book, and the Amazon page will come up. Amazon
    certainly doesn't have a physical for each product.

    It sounds as though you need a content management system where the
    in-house person just enters material in an online form, which saves the
    details to a database. The database can either generate XML on the fly,
    or create HTML using PHP or any other server-side language.

    Creating a content management system takes a little time, but you're
    making an awful lot of unnecessary work for yourself.