Professional Web Applications Themes

Automatic Form Submit - PHP Development

I have to develop an application sounds like this:- User is allow to access a form (is actually a test/quiz) within a specific time frame, let say 45 minutes. After this 45 minutes, if the user has not yet click the submit button to submit the form, the system need to automatically submit it. So, can anyone teach me how to check the time out as well as how to make the form submit automatically? Thank you very much....

  1. #1

    Default Automatic Form Submit

    I have to develop an application sounds like this:-
    User is allow to access a form (is actually a test/quiz) within a
    specific time frame, let say 45 minutes. After this 45 minutes, if the
    user has not yet click the submit button to submit the form, the
    system need to automatically submit it.

    So, can anyone teach me how to check the time out as well as how to
    make the form submit automatically? Thank you very much.
    shake Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Automatic Form Submit

    [email]shiek_wei[/email] (shake) wrote in message news:<71008909.0306301841.4a9c919fposting.google. com>...
    > I have to develop an application sounds like this:-
    > User is allow to access a form (is actually a test/quiz) within a
    > specific time frame, let say 45 minutes. After this 45 minutes, if the
    > user has not yet click the submit button to submit the form, the
    > system need to automatically submit it.
    >
    > So, can anyone teach me how to check the time out as well as how to
    > make the form submit automatically? Thank you very much.
    PHP is server side, i.e. once its given the page to the client, its
    done with and is no longer running. The only way you can do this is
    with JavaScript but that's easily hacked to stop the auto-submit
    firing.

    I'd approach the problem differently. Put a countdown clock on the
    page, using JavaScript or Flash and tell them if they don't submit by
    the end their results will be disqualified. You can still have the
    auto-submit feature, if you like.

    However, when the page is delivered you need to make a note, store the
    current time, make a MD5 hash uniquely and embed this in the quiz.
    When they submit, compare the hash against the time the form was
    submitted and do as necessary.

    Ensuring that they haven't cheated is another complex issue though but
    depends on how unique your quiz is and if you can identify your
    quiztakers uniquely.
    Paul Liversidge Guest

  3. #3

    Alternatively, you could have each question on its own page, storing
    each answer every time the page is submitted. Additionally, you could
    calculate how long a person has taken to do the quiz by working out the
    time between the first question being served and now. If it is more than
    45 minutes then you can reject the answer and the quiz is over.

    --
    MeerKat

    MeerKat Guest