Professional Web Applications Themes

Autosave/autobackup feature in ID??? - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

Hi, this may have been asked before on this forum, but my design team are asking whether ID has an autosave feature, for those moments when a file gets overwritten accidentally etc... This was a feature in Quark Xpress (dare I mention its name on this forum?!) that allowed auto backups to run in the background, saving doents in shared directories that everyone could access if they needed to. I would be glad of any feedback on this. Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Autosave/autobackup feature in ID???

    bilbo_bagginz@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Autosave/autobackup feature in ID???

    in short, NO
    But you can experiment with save a version, you might even assign a shortcut so you can access it very fast thriugh the keyboard.
    Marco_A_SantaMaria@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    ID doesn't have an autosave since it doesn't really need one. It's
    autorecovery system is amazing.

    You can actually work on a file for hours without saving it. If ID or
    the computer crashes, the next time you open ID the file will open with
    it, right where you left off.

    Bob
    Bob Levine Guest

  4. #4

    InDesign auto-recovery is amazing. The way I have seen it work it is more like a buffer, where the page will be saved in its temp file when you move to a diferent locations in your doent, zoom in or out—at least form what I remember, haven't had too many crashes on InDesign lately.
    Marco_A_SantaMaria@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Crashing is extremely rare for me in InDesign.

    But I do like to show the auto-recovery features to my students. When demoing some files, I will create a file which I don't save, then I'll perform a Force Quit. They're quite amazed to see all the open files—including the one never saved—open back on my screen when I reopen InDesign!
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    This script copies the doent to a backup folder (which you specify in the first line) before saving.
    When you assign cmd-S as shortcut for the script you get a backup with every save.

    Remember to empty that folder occasionally ;)
    Remember also to frequently do a save as (has nothing to do with this script, but is a very good idea in all cases)

    tell application "Finder" to set backupPath to folder "Macintosh HD:doents:backup files"

    tell application "Adobe InDesign CS2"
    try
    set myFilePath to file path of active doent
    set myFile to full name of active doent
    set cd to current date
    set nuName to name of active doent
    set nuName to nuName & "-" & ((year of cd) & (month of cd) & (day of cd) as string)
    set nuName to nuName & "-" & (time of cd) as string
    tell application "Finder"
    set backupFile to duplicate myFile to backupPath
    set name of backupFile to nuName
    end tell
    save active doent
    on error
    save active doent
    end try
    end tell

    I'd be glad to hear if this works for you

    Gerald
    Gerald_Singelmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks Gerald I'll give it a whirl, and let you know if it works.

    seems like I'm resorting to scripts again to overcome the features we had in dear old Quarky!
    bilbo_bagginz@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    > seems like I'm resorting to scripts again to overcome the features we had

    You may have overlooked the part where all this saving stuff isn't
    necessary...I can imagine situations where you may want lots of versions of
    files because you modify them constantly, but as file safety and reliability
    is concerned you just don't need what Quark had.

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    That script has sorted out the problem we had. Thanks Gerald.
    bilbo_bagginz@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I can imagine situations where you may want lots of versions of files
    because you modify them constantly

    If I understood the OP correctly they want the safety of versioning, comparable to what version cue does but without the added hassle of working against a project.

    That files rarely go corrupt is one thing.
    That a human saves when he/she shouldn't is another thing.

    seems like I'm resorting to scripts again to overcome the features we
    had in dear old Quarky

    The amazing scripting capabilities of InDesign to me are the number one reason why this application rocks. I would estimate that about 80% of customer's requests that usually would get the answer "No, can't do that" are solvable by script. How cool is that?

  11. #11

    How do you:

    assign cmd-S as shortcut for the script
    Harry_Redknapp@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Open the Shortcuts settings from the Edit menu and then under the Pull down menu select File and then Save from the list
    Marco_A_SantaMaria@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I am referring to a shortcut for the script that Gerald Singelmann mentioned:

  14. #14

    I'm not sure command-S can be altered. Isn't that a hard wired command for save in all applications?
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Nope. In fact I changed it to sentence case when the text tool is active.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  16. #16

    Thanks for the script, Gerald. :) :)

    doc
    doc_bud@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    JohnO said:

    "...but as file safety and reliability is concerned you just don't need what Quark had."

    I believe in better safe than sorry. 'Cuz you never know...

  18. #18

    is anyone able to answer my initial question - on assigning the shortcut for the script itself?
    Harry_Redknapp@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    Edit>keyboard shortcuts>scripts.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  20. #20

    Edit>keyboard shortcuts>Windows Menu>Scripts...

    Ok nearly there ..... I have the script in the presets folder amd the script appears in the palette, on the keyboard assigment i can only see how to bring up the script palette with a shortcut.

    But how do you actually assign a shortcut to the script itself
    Harry_Redknapp@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast