Professional Web Applications Themes

Autostart files - FreeBSD

Hi people I am learning in the use of cvs for sync my src and ports i use this command line and works perfectly #cvs -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co src but this line update my source tree with the current version 6.0 but i don't want this version then i do this #cvs -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -rRELENG_5 src and get this error cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied What can i do? How can i obtain the src tree of 5-STABLE and the ports tree via cvs "i can not use cvsup"?...

  1. #1

    Default cvs question?

    Hi people

    I am learning in the use of cvs for sync my src and ports i use this
    command line and works perfectly

    #cvs -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co src

    but this line update my source tree with the current version 6.0 but i
    don't want this version then i do this

    #cvs -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -rRELENG_5 src

    and get this error
    cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags:
    Permission denied

    What can i do? How can i obtain the src tree of 5-STABLE and the ports
    tree via cvs "i can not use cvsup"?



    Osmany Guest

  2. #2

    Default Autostart files

    Hello,

    I recently installed the ftp port "wu-ftpd" from /usr/ports/ftp/wu-ftpd.
    However I cant find out how to start this, I want to add this to the
    autostart by adding a line to my rc.conf but am unsure what line to add.
    I tried wu-ftpd_enable="yes" but this didnt work, can someone help me
    out and tell me what line to add?

    Thanks in advance
    Roeland Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Autostart files

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On 2005-03-24, Roeland Hemsteede scribbled these
    curious markings: 

    You need to create your own startup script in order to make wu-ftpd
    work. I suggest following an example from another port.

    And, although normally I wouldn't do this, I can't send this reply in
    good conscience without warning you about wu-ftpd's horrid security
    record. People have even coined a phrase about Wu-FTPd's security
    record: "Providing remote root since at least 1994." ProFTPD isn't much
    better, either. I strongly recommend you either use the FTP daemon that
    ships with FreeBSD or install something with a better record, like
    PureFTPD.

    Best Regards,
    Christopher Nehren
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.0 (FreeBSD)

    iD8DBQFCQxpmk/lo7zvzJioRAoyoAJ0Q2+GzTQ9u0JsXxzdP6fxk7GXCTQCfW7zi
    L51drHIqCIitRqJmajvZpU4=
    =npUj
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    --
    I abhor a system designed for the "user", if that word is a coded
    pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated". -- Ken Thompson
    If you ask the wrong questions, you get answers like "42" and "God".
    Unix is user friendly. However, it isn't idiot friendly.

    Christopher Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Autostart files

    Christopher Nehren wrote:
     
    >
    >You need to create your own startup script in order to make wu-ftpd
    >work. I suggest following an example from another port.
    >
    >
    >[/ref]

    However, a startup script _could_ be as simple as whatever command
    you would issue at the CLI to start the program, on a single line,
    saved as "uniquefilename.sh" and placed under /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.

    It is also quite possible to instruct cron to start this server
    via root's crontab:

    reboot /usr/local/bin/someprogram -c /home/me/myconfig 2>&1

    However, a more complex script allows easy stopping or
    restarting of the daemon, eliminating the need to look up
    PID's and/or call kill(1), etc.

    Kevin Kinsey

    PS > I can't comment on wu-ftpd's security, but it sure looks
    like Christopher's warning deserves serious attention, at least
    up to the point of making further inquiries via BuqTraq, a
    search engine, etc...

     

    Kevin Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: cvs question?

    On 2005-03-24 17:00, Osmany Guirola Cruz <edu.cu> wrote: 

    True.
     

    Use the -R option of cvs (read-only repository):

    # CVSROOT='FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs'
    # export CVSROOT
    # cvs -R co -rRELENG_5 src

    Giorgos Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: cvs question?

    At 5:00 PM +0000 3/24/05, Osmany Guirola Cruz wrote: 

    I do not know for sure, but try:

    #cvs -R -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -rRELENG_5 src

    --
    Garance Alistair Drosehn = netel.rpi.edu
    Senior Systems Programmer or org
    Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute or edu
    Garance Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: cvs question?

    Hi again

    The option -R does not work :-(
    i do this
    #setenv CVSROOT FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs
    #cvs -R co -rRELENG_5 src
    and get this
    cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags:
    Permission denied
    and if i do
    #socksify cvs -R co src
    WORKS PERFECTLY

    What can i do?

    Osmany



    Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
     
    >
    >True.
    >
    >

    >
    >Use the -R option of cvs (read-only repository):
    >
    > # CVSROOT='FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs'
    > # export CVSROOT
    > # cvs -R co -rRELENG_5 src
    >
    >
    >
    >[/ref]


    Osmany Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: cvs question?

    Ok i probed this

    %setenv CVSROOT fr.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs
    % cvs -R co -r RELENG_5 src
    cvs server: warning: cannot open /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags read/write:
    Read-only file system
    cvs server: Updating src
    etc etc etc
    ....................................
    WORKS perfectly with this server "now i have the src-tree from 5-stable
    :-)"

    and i tested(paranoia :-) ) with RELENG_4 and works :-) ..the problem
    is with anoncvs.FreeBSD.org server

    Thanks for your help

    Osmany




    Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
     
    >
    >% Not sure. I tried using a tag too and it fails to work :-(
    >%
    >% $ cvs -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -l -r RELENG_5 src/bin/cat
    >% cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
    >%
    >% $ cvs -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -r RELENG_5 src/bin/cat
    >% cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
    >%
    >% $ cvs -R -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -r RELENG_5 src/bin/cat
    >% cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
    >%
    >% $ cvs -R -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co src/bin/cat
    >% U src/bin/cat/Makefile
    >% U src/bin/cat/cat.1
    >% U src/bin/cat/cat.c
    >%
    >% $ cd src/bin/cat
    >% $ cvs -R -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs up -APd -r RELENG_5
    >% cvs [update aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
    >
    >I vaguely remember a problem report about val-tags, so I checked the history
    >of the CVS version we have in the tree. Dag-Erling Smorgrav has fixed a bug
    >related to this in revision 1.2 of the file: src/contrib/cvs/src/tag.c.
    >
    >This seems to be a server issue. If the server running at anoncvs.freebsd.org
    >doesn't have the fix of DES, you can try a different server I guess. I'll let
    >DES know about this and see if the fix has been backported to non-CURRENT
    >FreeBSD versions.
    >
    >- Giorgos
    >
    >
    >
    >[/ref]


    Osmany Guest

  9. #9

    Default Re: cvs question?

    On 2005-03-25 09:07, Osmany Guirola Cruz <edu.cu> wrote: 

    % Not sure. I tried using a tag too and it fails to work :-(
    %
    % $ cvs -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -l -r RELENG_5 src/bin/cat
    % cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
    %
    % $ cvs -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -r RELENG_5 src/bin/cat
    % cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
    %
    % $ cvs -R -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co -r RELENG_5 src/bin/cat
    % cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied
    %
    % $ cvs -R -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co src/bin/cat
    % U src/bin/cat/Makefile
    % U src/bin/cat/cat.1
    % U src/bin/cat/cat.c
    %
    % $ cd src/bin/cat
    % $ cvs -R -d FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs up -APd -r RELENG_5
    % cvs [update aborted]: cannot write /home/ncvs/CVSROOT/val-tags: Permission denied

    I vaguely remember a problem report about val-tags, so I checked the history
    of the CVS version we have in the tree. Dag-Erling Smorgrav has fixed a bug
    related to this in revision 1.2 of the file: src/contrib/cvs/src/tag.c.

    This seems to be a server issue. If the server running at anoncvs.freebsd.org
    doesn't have the fix of DES, you can try a different server I guess. I'll let
    DES know about this and see if the fix has been backported to non-CURRENT
    FreeBSD versions.

    - Giorgos

    Giorgos Guest

Similar Threads

  1. OT - USB drive autostart?
    By magnax in forum Macromedia Director Lingo
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 17th, 11:08 AM
  2. DAS autostart glitch
    By Lamimi02 in forum IBM DB2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 4th, 01:37 AM
  3. ~/.kde/Autostart/.directory
    By armin walland in forum Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 23rd, 02:52 PM
  4. autostart
    By Mike Soriano in forum Macromedia Director Basics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 13th, 06:35 PM
  5. OpenSSH & autostart
    By Piotr Szumny in forum AIX
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 5th, 03:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139