Professional Web Applications Themes

avoiding flash - Macromedia Dreamweaver

You can do all sorts of eyecandy with JS if you code for IE... they have these cool things called Filters :) I think you can mess about with filters in the CSS creator in DWMX, not sure, but I code my own... Anyway - as to the time swap you can use the window.setTimeuut() method for force a reload with an different image... The only thing I'll add is do a google for the tutorials, they ARE out there :p MX is like a box of chocolates - Someone's usually eaten the good bits already!...

  1. #1

    Default Re:avoiding flash

    Flashjunky webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Louise:

    Kaosweaver and PVII have extensions that will do this. You should be
    concerned about adding weight if your images are heavy.

    And the fading is not going to be cross-browser, and will add javascript to
    the page. I'd elect not to do this.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Louise" <LouiseKennedyNOSPAMNOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > I'd like to have a sequence of different photographs swapped out say at 5
    > second intervals, maybe fading in and out, but not with a mouse over
    > command, I just want it to happen on its own. But I don't want to do it
    with
    > flash. Is there a way to do this? Could I do this in javascript? I'm also
    > worried about adding weight to the page.
    >
    > The photographs would be the eye candy of the page, so it's important that
    > this works smoothly.
    >
    > thank you for any help.
    >
    > Louise

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Louise wrote:
    > I'd like to have a sequence of different photographs swapped out say at 5
    > second intervals, maybe fading in and out, but not with a mouse over
    > command, I just want it to happen on its own. But I don't want to do it with
    > flash. Is there a way to do this? Could I do this in javascript? I'm also
    > worried about adding weight to the page.
    >
    > The photographs would be the eye candy of the page, so it's important that
    > this works smoothly.
    >
    > thank you for any help.
    >
    > Louise

    You could do that by creating e.g. an animated gif of the lot, or I
    think there are a few free and commercial slide show scripts available
    at e.g. [url]www.hotscripts.com[/url] that even ships with faders.

    However, unless your images are small like stamps and simple, I'm pretty
    sure you'll end up with quite some weight. Bear in mind the target size
    of a page, including images, is 40-50Kb.

    So, if you persist, consider Flash, or even to ditch the idea. Eye candy
    is nice, but animations takes over the users attention from the content.

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  4. #4

    Murray, thank you

    The weight is exactly what I'm worried about. It's already heavy with
    scripts, even with them being sent to a js file. The Kaosweaver advanced
    random image would work with a timed delay, but the example it shows is 35kb
    on that page. Add centered drop downs, (not pvii sadly) images, etc.... the
    added weight is prohibitive.

    I'm not familiar with flash so I'm trying not to go there. But do you think
    a simple flash file, such as this one, [url]http://www.innovations.harvard.edu[/url]
    would work instead of a javascript method?

    Louise

    "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > Louise:
    >
    > Kaosweaver and PVII have extensions that will do this. You should be
    > concerned about adding weight if your images are heavy.
    >
    > And the fading is not going to be cross-browser, and will add javascript
    > the page. I'd elect not to do this.
    >
    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET
    > ANSWERS
    > ==================
    > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >
    > "Louise" <LouiseKennedyNOSPAMNOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I'd like to have a sequence of different photographs swapped out say at
    5
    > > second intervals, maybe fading in and out, but not with a mouse over
    > > command, I just want it to happen on its own. But I don't want to do it
    > with
    > > flash. Is there a way to do this? Could I do this in javascript? I'm
    also
    > > worried about adding weight to the page.
    > >
    > > The photographs would be the eye candy of the page, so it's important
    that
    > > this works smoothly.
    > >
    > > thank you for any help.
    > >
    > > Louise

    Louise Guest

  5. #5

    Dan,

    I agree with you. My page is already 33kb without the added image
    manipulation (with images, drop down scripts etc). I don't want this new
    animated method, but the client asked and i promised to find out more. The
    images are 702 pixels wide and about 130 height. I don't want to lose too
    much crispness in the images just to get them changing out. Luckily it would
    only be on the index page and not throughout the site.

    Would flash add a great deal?

    Louise

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote in
    message news:3F0C0980.5090906_the_bottom_of_the_post.com. ..

  6. #6

    Louise:
    > (not pvii sadly)
    Why?
    > But do you think
    > a simple flash file, such as this one,
    That one is 88K.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Murray, thank you

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  7. #7

    Murray, I paesslered it and only got 32.7 kb total image and html. How did
    you read the 88k

    > Louise:
    >
    > > (not pvii sadly)
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > > But do you think
    > > a simple flash file, such as this one,
    >
    > That one is 88K.
    >
    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET
    > ANSWERS
    > ==================
    > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >
    > "Louise" <LouiseKennedyNOSPAMNOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Murray, thank you

    Louise Guest

  8. #8

    Louise:

    The Paessler weight does not include the Flash file which you must locate in
    the browser's cache to measure.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Murray, I paesslered it and only got 32.7 kb total image and html. How did
    > you read the 88k

    > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > > Louise:
    > >
    > > > (not pvii sadly)
    > >
    > > Why?
    > >
    > > > But do you think
    > > > a simple flash file, such as this one,
    > >
    > > That one is 88K.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > > ==================
    > > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO
    GET
    > > ANSWERS
    > > ==================
    > > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > ==================
    > >
    > > "Louise" <LouiseKennedyNOSPAMNOSPAMcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > > > Murray, thank you

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  9. #9

    > I'm not familiar with flash so I'm trying not to go there.

    Use the right tool for the problem. In this case, Flash would most likely be
    the lowest-weight, most cross-browser compliant way to do it. It's also
    incredibly easy to do in flash.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  10. #10

    do you know of a good tutorial for this. I don't want to dive into flash
    this week.....

    "darrel" <darrel.austincourts.state.mn.us> wrote in message
    > > I'm not familiar with flash so I'm trying not to go there.
    >
    > Use the right tool for the problem. In this case, Flash would most likely
    be
    > the lowest-weight, most cross-browser compliant way to do it. It's also
    > incredibly easy to do in flash.
    >
    > -Darrel

    Louise Guest

  11. #11

    > But being concerned with page weight already, and having a page that is
    > topping 35-40K before adding Flash, won't the tweened approach push her
    well
    > over the acceptible target? As I recall, any tweening begins to escalate
    > Flash file sizes rapidly, no?
    No. Tweening is just mathematical manipulation of the images, so it
    certainly wouldn't be as weighty as a GIF animation, which has to render
    each and every frame of the fade.

    It'll most likely weigh about the same as the individual images.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  12. #12

    darrel:

    I was thinking of it in terms of frames, hence my erroneous conclusing.
    Thanks for a clarification.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > > But being concerned with page weight already, and having a page that is
    > > topping 35-40K before adding Flash, won't the tweened approach push her
    > well
    > > over the acceptible target? As I recall, any tweening begins to
    escalate
    > > Flash file sizes rapidly, no?
    >
    > No. Tweening is just mathematical manipulation of the images, so it
    > certainly wouldn't be as weighty as a GIF animation, which has to render
    > each and every frame of the fade.
    >
    > It'll most likely weigh about the same as the individual images.
    >
    > -Darrel

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  13. #13

    > I was thinking of it in terms of frames, hence my erroneous conclusing.
    > Thanks for a clarification.
    It is a bit confusing at first. Flash *is* a frame-based animation tool at
    its foundation. However, the big advantage (in terms of animation) is that
    you can tween. Tweening takes frame 1 and let's say frame 50 and looks at
    the differences. It then will animate the frames in between on-the-fly, so
    the only thing you actually need to download is frame 1 and frame 50, and
    your computer (namely the Flash Player PlugIn) will create the other 48
    frames for you. In addition, you can use symbols and actionscript to add
    more motion/interactivity/objects without actually increasing download size.

    However, if you are making a true framed-based animation...what you'd
    typically see in traditional animation, then, yes, you'd have to download
    each frame.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  14. #14

    listening in this is all very helpful. I'll spend the day in flash
    tutorials.

    > > I was thinking of it in terms of frames, hence my erroneous conclusing.
    > > Thanks for a clarification.
    >
    > It is a bit confusing at first. Flash *is* a frame-based animation tool at
    > its foundation. However, the big advantage (in terms of animation) is that
    > you can tween. Tweening takes frame 1 and let's say frame 50 and looks at
    > the differences. It then will animate the frames in between on-the-fly, so
    > the only thing you actually need to download is frame 1 and frame 50, and
    > your computer (namely the Flash Player PlugIn) will create the other 48
    > frames for you. In addition, you can use symbols and actionscript to add
    > more motion/interactivity/objects without actually increasing download
    size.

    > However, if you are making a true framed-based animation...what you'd
    > typically see in traditional animation, then, yes, you'd have to download
    > each frame.
    >
    > -Darrel

    Louise Guest

  15. #15

    Louise wrote:
    > Dan,
    >
    > I agree with you. My page is already 33kb without the added image
    > manipulation (with images, drop down scripts etc). I don't want this new
    > animated method, but the client asked and i promised to find out more. The
    > images are 702 pixels wide and about 130 height. I don't want to lose too
    > much crispness in the images just to get them changing out. Luckily it would
    > only be on the index page and not throughout the site.
    >
    > Would flash add a great deal?
    Since we don't know how many images, what they look like (the more
    complex, the "worse"), etc, it's impossible to say how heavy various
    solutions would be. But my guess is that even a flash with such
    dimensions will easily exceed a couple of hundred Kb.

    You'll need to educate your client. Give him a demonstration of bad,
    heavy flash implementaion by giving him a tour at e.g. the Dreamweaver
    Exchange at the Macromedia site.

  16. #16

    ;)

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote in
    message news:3F0C490F.20109_the_bottom_of_the_post.com...

  17. #17

    I don't understand why you're all worrying about the size of a flash movie...

    Surely that's what a preloader is for?

    Load page, load flash, flash says loading whilst loading... where's the issue????

    Also, if you use actionscript to modify the _alpha you can fade in and out on 1 frame :p