Professional Web Applications Themes

B&W Photo W/ Color - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am new to the software, and I didn't see this in the manual, but is there anyway to put a B&W filter over a picture, and them remove the filter in a portion of the picture so you can see the color within the B&W picture? Can the software do this? Can the full Photoshop do it?...

  1. #1

    Default B&W Photo W/ Color

    I am new to the software, and I didn't see this in the manual, but is there anyway to put a B&W filter over a picture, and them remove the filter in a portion of the picture so you can see the color within the B&W picture?
    Can the software do this? Can the full Photoshop do it?
    Thomas Rooney Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: B&W Photo W/ Color

    You probably get a TON of suggestions! Mine is a quick and dirty one...not necessarily the best. Add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to the image and bring the saturation all the way down to make it b/w. Then, use the eraser tool on the H/S layer (click on the thumbnail first) and erase where you want color to be.
    Elena Murphy Guest

  3. #3

    Another quick and dirty solution that will do the same thing. Select the portion you want to be in color. Go to Select>Inverse. Go to Enhance>adjust color>remove color. The image will be desaturated except for the one portion that remains in color.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  4. #4

    "Richard Coencas" <rcoencasadobe.com> wrote in message
    > [...] Select the portion you want to be in color.
    > Go to Select>Inverse. Go to Enhance>adjust color>remove color.
    > The image will be desaturated except for the one portion
    > that remains in color.
    Keeping in mind, of course, that "Remove Color" may or may not have the
    effect you want. Per the previous long thread about converting from color
    to black-and-white. :)

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  5. #5

    Pete, to address the concern about black-and-white rendition, a better
    choice would be to add a gradient map adjustment layer (black-to-white) and
    paint with black on the layer mask where you want to color to appear. I
    think we concluded that the gradient map gave a b/w tonality that's closer
    to the grayscale conversion than the remove color or hue/saturation
    adjustment layer....?

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    Thomas,

    Here's another very handy technique, not exactly what you're looking for but this one is for painting away color to leave black & white.

    Open your color image. Duplicate the original layer in the layers palette (always work on a duplicate layer). Set the foreground color to black. Click on the Brush Tool and now switch the 'Blending Mode' (found up in the options bar or at the top of your layers palette) from Normal to Color. Choose the brush size you desire and you'll be able to paint away the color where you choose to black & white.

    Barb
    imacgirl Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you very much for all of the techniques. I am definately going to try them all tonight. Thanks again.

    Tom
    Thomas Rooney Guest

  8. #8

    "Chuck Snyder" <csnyderhouston.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:91069671D40D9C85D9B7BEA611238EA1in.webx.la2e afNXanI...
    > Pete, to address the concern about black-and-white rendition, a better
    > choice would be to add a gradient map adjustment layer (black-to-white)
    and
    > paint with black on the layer mask where you want to color to appear. I
    > think we concluded that the gradient map gave a b/w tonality that's
    closer
    > to the grayscale conversion than the remove color or hue/saturation
    > adjustment layer....?
    Yes, we did. :) I was just pointing out the limitations of the suggested
    technique.

    Of course, the technique of converting to Grayscale mode is the most
    reliable, IMHO, as long as one just wants to simulate what taking the exact
    photo with black and white film would do.

    With respect to the question asked here, the way to do that would be to
    select what one wants to be in black and white (using the technique already
    described), cut it to another layer, use that layer to create a new image,
    convert that new image to Grayscale, then paste the results back into the
    original image (removing, of course, the colored version of the same layer).

    You can, of course, accomplish *almost* the same thing using the gradient
    map, but even that doesn't do exactly the right thing. Cutting/pasting back
    and forth between two images is kind of a pain, but it does do the right
    thing, with no fiddling on the user's part.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  9. #9

    Sometimes it is very nice to use the layer technique with the monochrome image on top (it doesnot always have to be B&W) and erase the top layer with a low setting of the eraser tool. I used this technique recently and started with the eraser tool at 7% and made small circles around the part I wanted to be in colour and I increased the setting the closer I came to the subject. On the subject I applied 100 % This way the colour seems to radiate from the subject.
    Sometimes this is very nice on wedding pictures.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  10. #10

    Leen,

    Doesn't that require a steady hand and accuracy?
    The moment you overlap your brush the 7% becomes 14%(?) thus showing more colour.
    Or am I exaggerating?

    I believe you that the effect is stunning.

    Robert
    Schraven Robert Guest