Professional Web Applications Themes

B&W site - looking for comments - Photography

I put together a new site of some of my B&W tree work. I'm just looking for some comments, suggestions, thoughts. Thanks, JASON http://home.earthlink.net/~terveiss/trees/index.html...

  1. #1

    Default B&W site - looking for comments

    I put together a new site of some of my B&W tree work. I'm just looking for
    some comments, suggestions, thoughts.
    Thanks,
    JASON

    http://home.earthlink.net/~terveiss/trees/index.html

    Jasuhn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: B&W site - looking for comments

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:49:38 GMT, "Jasuhn" <net>
    wrote:

    Can I be blunt?

    Those are not very good. The exposures are poor and the compositions
    are lacking. I would also say that the detail is poor, but I'll hold
    back because those are just pics posted on a web page and its
    difficult to tell how much image detail might be in the originals.

    Trees can be pretty boring subjects. It takes something special to
    make them stand out.

    You should take a look at some nature photography by master
    photographers... start with Ansel Adams.

    -- JC
    J Guest

  3. #3

    Just to defend myself, those were taken with a Cannon SureShot, no option to
    correct exposure. This was before I had a manual. Other than that, thanks
    for the opinion.
    JASON

    "J C" <net> wrote in message
    news:HT1mPxZo4YtdgEXVIB=com... [/ref]
    for

    > Can I be blunt?
    >
    > Those are not very good. The exposures are poor and the compositions
    > are lacking. I would also say that the detail is poor, but I'll hold
    > back because those are just pics posted on a web page and its
    > difficult to tell how much image detail might be in the originals.
    >
    > Trees can be pretty boring subjects. It takes something special to
    > make them stand out.
    >
    > You should take a look at some nature photography by master
    > photographers... start with Ansel Adams.
    >

    > -- JC[/ref]

    Jasuhn Guest

  4. #4

    JC,

    I appreciate your honesty, and was hoping for a chave to learn something.

    You mention the exposure is off. As I'v ementioned most of these were shot
    with an automatic
    (Canon Sureshot), so there was no option to change it. This was before I had
    a manual (I now use a Nikon N65). But I'm also wondering why it's not OK,
    acceptable, whatever, to have the outline, the simple shape as the image?
    Many of them I shot to look as they do, like veins.

    I'm familiar with the works of Ansel Adams and appreciate them very much,
    but I'm obviously not trying to be like him, or imitate his work. I'm really
    just trying to show something I think is visually interesting simply for the
    sake of eye candy. Not for reflection upon.

    Lastly, I'm just wondering why you feel the composition is poor? Of all
    things, that's what I'm complimented on most in my work (I'm a videographer
    by trade). I'm just wondering what someone else would have done different as
    something to consider.

    Again, I hope I'm not sounding whiny or anything. I'm just trying to learn
    as I go, get as much information as possible.

    Thanks,
    JASON

    "J C" <net> wrote in message
    news:HT1mPxZo4YtdgEXVIB=com... [/ref]
    for

    > Can I be blunt?
    >
    > Those are not very good. The exposures are poor and the compositions
    > are lacking. I would also say that the detail is poor, but I'll hold
    > back because those are just pics posted on a web page and its
    > difficult to tell how much image detail might be in the originals.
    >
    > Trees can be pretty boring subjects. It takes something special to
    > make them stand out.
    >
    > You should take a look at some nature photography by master
    > photographers... start with Ansel Adams.
    >

    > -- JC[/ref]

    Jasuhn Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    J Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    I agree with JC that making interesting pictures of trees is a master
    achievement. I like the simpleness of tree10 contrasted against the
    grey sky. Sometimes it works trying to make these things as abstract
    as you can.
    It boils down to finding rhyhms or patterns that stand out. Lying in
    the grass and looking up to the trees may be interesting, but on a 3x4
    inch plane one tends to skip ahead.
    But I'm sure there are loads of people who will like them and a
    illustrations etc. they may serve well.
    One comment about the site: it would be nice if the thumbs were thumbs
    and not 250 kb files: now the whole bunch is loading at once and it
    takes quite a while to see all thumbs.

    Main thing: have fun doing the pics!
    Dan Guest

  7. #7

    On 16 Sep 2003 07:08:24 -0700, es (Dan Uneken)
    wrote:

    Take a look at the opening page of this site
    http://www.rongershman.net/ (which is also posted below).

    Now there's a great tree pic.

    I just loaded the site and am about to browse the images.

    -- JC
    J Guest

  8. #8

    As the webmaster for the Ron Gershman site, I wanted to write and say
    thanks for the compliment and the link. I would be interested to know
    your thoughts after viewing the site, both on the B&W photography and
    the others, and I will gladly pass them on to Mr. Gershman.

    Thank you.

    Eric David
    Gold Zeppelin
    http://www.goldzeppelin.com/