Professional Web Applications Themes

B+W 093 Infra Red Filter in UK? - Photography

I would be grateful if anyone could give me a pointer about where I could get a B+W 093 filter (Infra Red) (49mm) in the UK. Thanks for any help, Robert....

  1. #1

    Default B+W 093 Infra Red Filter in UK?

    I would be grateful if anyone could give me a pointer about where I could
    get a B+W 093 filter (Infra Red) (49mm) in the UK.

    Thanks for any help,
    Robert.

    Robert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: B+W 093 Infra Red Filter in UK?

    In article <net>,
    Robert Austin <com> wrote:

    I can't really do that, as I don't live there.

    However, I feel that I should ask whether you know that your
    sensor and camera system is actually *sensitive* in the IR. I know that
    on early digital conversions to SLRs, it was necessary to put a filter
    on the lens to block the IR (near IR, at least -- the IR used for the
    kind of shots which were shown during the Gulf war, and the later even
    in Iraq is a much longer wavelength of IR.

    I believe that modern digital SLRs filter the IR out at the
    focal plane, just before the light reaches the CCD.

    And -- since you posted to the digital-slr newsgroup, it is
    reasonable to assume that you are not asking about the filter for a film
    camera.

    Best of luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
    DoN. Guest

  3. #3

    "DoN. Nichols" <com> wrote in message >
    Hi DoN,
    Thanks for the post. I use a DSLR for most of my photography, however this
    is for an old Canon G1 I use for IR work. I am currently using a Hoya
    near-IR filter but am looking for a B+W093 to cut all but IR light.

    So I have been caught out, it is not really and DSLR question but as a DSLR
    user I find that there is a better class of response on this newsgroup ;-)

    Cheers,
    Robert.

    Robert Guest

  4. #4

    DoN. Nichols <com> wrote:

    All (normal) digital cameras have an IR-blocking filter in front of the
    sensor, because they are very sensitive to IR. However, they are of
    varying effectiveness, and most let IR through to some degree. Nikons
    in particular let through more than you'd expect.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  5. #5

    > I can't really do that, as I don't live there.
    >
    > However, I feel that I should ask whether you know that your
    > sensor and camera system is actually *sensitive* in the IR. I know that
    > on early digital conversions to SLRs, it was necessary to put a filter
    > on the lens to block the IR (near IR, at least -- the IR used for the
    > kind of shots which were shown during the Gulf war, and the later even
    > in Iraq is a much longer wavelength of IR.
    >
    > I believe that modern digital SLRs filter the IR out at the
    > focal plane, just before the light reaches the CCD.
    >
    > And -- since you posted to the digital-slr newsgroup, it is
    > reasonable to assume that you are not asking about the filter for a film
    > camera.
    >
    > Best of luck,
    > DoN.
    >[/ref]

    Check this out:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=12159728
    He shows a couple of images shot with a 20D and an R72 Hoya filter. Pretty
    good, for digital.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  6. #6

    In article <PJbPd.30544$xt.6176fed1read07>,
    Skip M <net> wrote:

    >> I can't really do that, as I don't live there.
    >>
    >> However, I feel that I should ask whether you know that your
    >> sensor and camera system is actually *sensitive* in the IR. I know that[/ref][/ref]

    [ ... ]

    >Check this out:
    >http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=12159728
    >He shows a couple of images shot with a 20D and an R72 Hoya filter. Pretty
    >good, for digital.[/ref]

    I have to agree. I am interested to see what my D70 will do --
    once we get back to the season where the green leaves are present again.

    And this suggests that I should keep using the "HOT" filter when
    I don't want IR, I guess.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

  7. #7

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Jeremy Nixon <com> wrote:

    >All (normal) digital cameras have an IR-blocking filter in front of the
    >sensor, because they are very sensitive to IR. However, they are of
    >varying effectiveness, and most let IR through to some degree. Nikons
    >in particular let through more than you'd expect.[/ref]

    In which case I probably should stick with the "HOT" filter
    which I used with the lens on a Nikon N90s converted by Kodak to Digital
    (as the NC2000e/c) for the AP. The manual for that conversion strongly
    suggested that filter.

    Thanks,
    DoN.

  8. #8

    In article <net>,
    Robert Austin <com> wrote: [/ref]

    [ ... ]

    >Hi DoN,
    >Thanks for the post. I use a DSLR for most of my photography, however this
    >is for an old Canon G1 I use for IR work. I am currently using a Hoya
    >near-IR filter but am looking for a B+W093 to cut all but IR light.[/ref]

    O.K. That makes more sense to me. However, based on the other
    for the digital to be used for the purpose.

    Note that not only are the sensors different for the far IR
    (they even need to be cooled to near liquid nitrogen temperatures to
    have sufficiently low noise), but the lenses used don't pass visible
    light. They are typically made of germanium or sometimes silicon, and
    are quite opaque to visible light.

    O.K. I have not been following the other rec.photo.*
    newsgroups, though recently I have noticed some rather offensive and
    provocative articles posted to rec.crafts.metalworking with followups
    set only to a couple of the photo groups. At least one contained
    attacks on someone who I have seen mentioned in similar attacks on this
    newsgroup. And one was forged to claim to be *from* him, asking a
    fairly reasonable question for rec.crafts.metalworking, but again with
    followups to a couple of the rec.photo.* newsgroups, presumably intended
    to stir up even more controversy.

    I hope that someone here is able to point you to a UK source for
    the filter you wish.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

  9. #9

    com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

    Depends on the camera. I'm getting very nice IR exposures with a Hoya R72
    IR filter on my D70.

    Bubbabob Guest