Professional Web Applications Themes

Back to resolution????!!! - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Chuck, I did what you sugested, I unchecked the resample check box, and then resized the image by entering 7" into the 24" spot. I wound up with a 7' X 4.665" pic at a little more then 219 dpi. All the pics from this developer, including the pro res where at this res. (I will be going to get a refund). I had also tried this company for thier expert res, the pics looked the sh--ts on screen. But when I resized them as you suggested I wound up with a 400+ dpi pic. I have saved all the ...

  1. #1

    Default Back to resolution????!!!

    Chuck,

    I did what you sugested, I unchecked the resample check box, and then resized the image by entering 7" into the 24" spot. I wound up with a 7' X 4.665" pic at a little more then 219 dpi. All the pics from this developer, including the pro res where at this res. (I will be going to get a refund).

    I had also tried this company for thier expert res, the pics looked the sh--ts on screen. But when I resized them as you suggested I wound up with a 400+ dpi pic. I have saved all the resized photos in PSD format so I can work on them later.

    Now another question, after looking at my photos on screen, (especialy the stage show ones) I was not pleased with the framing (it s). I have tried to crop the background out (to many distractions) but of course I lose resolution (pixels). How do I fix this ?

    Emeril

    ps: I have been off line for a day or two, my computer got hit by a nasty virus. My hard drive started to disolve (lossing blocks). I don't know where it came from but check your systems. Mine had gotten so bad I had to do a low level format (write all blocks with "0's") and reload everything from the orige disks.
    Emeril_Darose@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Back to resolution????!!!

    Emeril, sorry to hear bout the virus problem. As you may have noted, many
    of us have been attacked this week and it hasn't ended yet.

    Sounds like the expert resolution will give you plenty of pixels for the big
    prints - and for those shots that you have to crop substantially to get the
    content you want. You're right, though - the more you crop from the
    original image, the more pixels are gone and the remaining ones have to be
    stretched over a larger length and width - therefore less pixels per inch.
    If the ppi gets much below 200 (some would say 150), you'll really begin to
    notice it in your prints (pixels will start to become visible to the naked
    eye as squares).

    One solution is to make judicious use of resampling (upsampling in this
    case) via the Image<Resize<Image Size dialog. First, with the resample box
    unchecked, get the Doent Size you want, as you did before; the resolution
    will be calculated for you. Let's say it calculates out to150 ppi and we've
    decided we really want to be at 200 ppm. The suggested method for
    upsampling is to increase the ppi by 10% per resample. In this case, I
    would first check, the resample box, then increase the resolution to 165 ppi
    (150 +10%) then hit OK, which will change the ppi and close the dialog.
    Then go back into the Image<Resize<Image Size dialog and increase the ppi
    again - this time to 182 (165+10%, more or less). Hit OK. Then do it once
    more: Image<Resize<Image Size and increase ppi to 200 (182+10%). Hit OK,
    then print. There's another way to accomplish the same thing without having
    to do the math; you can change the pixel dimensions units to percent and
    keep putting in 110% in each of the steps above instead of changing the ppi.
    Whichever works easier for you.

    Keep in mind that any upsampling is adding calculated pixels which may
    soften the image and change some colors slightly; you may want to sharpen
    the image after upsampling as a last step before printing.

    Hope this helps!

    Chuck

    p.s. Leen and Nancy - hope I did this right...

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Emeril,

    In the doent size section (Image>Resize>Image Size, in version 1 this is how you get there)

    with Resample & Constrain checked, you need change only the Doent Width number. Use drop down to get units in Percentage, and change the 100 to 110. This is a 10% increase. Repeat as necessary. It is the best way I have found to enlarge when you don't have too many pixels. Use unsharp mask just before printing.

    Nancy
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest