Professional Web Applications Themes

Back-up to DVD? (but not Retrospect) - Mac Applications & Software

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:03:18 GMT, [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara Garland) chose to bless us with the following wisdom: >Hi there, I am looking for a recommendation for a back-up util that will >let me perform back-ups across multiple Superdrive disks, around 35GB >right now. Without getting into specifics I do not like Retrospect so I >am looking for a solid app with a good UI, costing up to US $75. Thanks. Damn! I had a great app in mind that would be perfect for you but it costs $75.50. 8) -- "Whoever is advising them [Democrats] on gun control should ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Back-up to DVD? (but not Retrospect)

    --

    "Whoever is advising them [Democrats] on gun control
    should be shot."

    Blaine Rummel, spokesman for the Coalition to
    Stop Gun Violence.
    Mayor of R'lyeh Guest

  2. #2

    Garland) wrote:
    >Hi there, I am looking for a recommendation for a back-up util that will
    >let me perform back-ups across multiple Superdrive disks, around 35GB
    >right now. Without getting into specifics I do not like Retrospect so I
    >am looking for a solid app with a good UI, costing up to US $75. Thanks.
    A 160GB FW HDD won't do it? 160G is $99 these days, and a FW unit
    might run $50....... easy, fast, simple....
    foo Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:05:45 GMT, [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara
    Garland) wrote:
    >foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    >
    >> >Hi there, I am looking for a recommendation for a back-up util that will
    >> >let me perform back-ups across multiple Superdrive disks, around 35GB
    >> >right now. Without getting into specifics I do not like Retrospect so I
    >> >am looking for a solid app with a good UI, costing up to US $75. Thanks.
    >>
    >> A 160GB FW HDD won't do it? 160G is $99 these days, and a FW unit
    >> might run $50....... easy, fast, simple....
    >
    >Hi there, I am looking for a recommendation for a BACK-UP UTIL that will
    >let me perform back-ups across multiple Superdrive disks.
    CRON and that 160GB drive could do what you want.
    foo Guest

  4. #4

    In article <1fybfku.17i5pl0hpwejuN%twixter3030nospamhotmail. com>,
    [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara Garland) wrote:
    > Alan Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    >
    > > > Hi there, I am looking for a recommendation for a back-up util that will
    > > > let me perform back-ups across multiple Superdrive disks, around 35GB
    > > > right now. Without getting into specifics I do not like Retrospect so I
    > > > am looking for a solid app with a good UI, costing up to US $75. Thanks.
    > >
    > > If you don't my my asking:
    >
    > Actually, I'd rather get some recommendations first. So far, besides
    > your question my only replies have been a joke and someone who decided
    > that I don't need software. <sigh>
    OK. But perhaps your objections to Retrospect are based on
    misconceptions. I've used it very successfully and really like it.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia

  5. #5

    Sara Garland <twixter3030nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    >Alan Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    >
    >> > Hi there, I am looking for a recommendation for a back-up util that will
    >> > let me perform back-ups across multiple Superdrive disks, around 35GB
    >> > right now. Without getting into specifics I do not like Retrospect so I
    >> > am looking for a solid app with a good UI, costing up to US $75. Thanks.
    >>
    >> If you don't my my asking:
    >
    >Actually, I'd rather get some recommendations first. So far, besides
    >your question my only replies have been a joke and someone who decided
    >that I don't need software. <sigh>
    Hello

    I have the same need for backup software,
    so if anyone is listening, count this as
    a "Me Too" :&).

    Specifically,though, I am unhappy that I spent
    good money on a bundle of useless software:
    Norton AV & other stuff including Retrospect,
    which _saw_ the Superdrive in my PB, but
    didn't recognize it as writable.
    I deinstalled all of it, eventually and am
    disappointed that I couldnt get a refund.

    Till I find suitable BU software I've been
    cloning to an external with Carbon Copy Cloner.

    That sorta eases the empty feeling of no backup...

    Claude

    claudel Guest

  6. #6

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:28:10 GMT, [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara
    Garland) wrote:

    >> >Hi there, I am looking for a recommendation for a BACK-UP UTIL that will
    >> >let me perform back-ups across multiple Superdrive disks.
    >>
    >> CRON and that 160GB drive could do what you want.
    >
    >As much as you may think that you're helping, you aren't. (Unless you
    >intended to simply troll, in which case you've done a moderately
    >successful job and will probably be killfiled soon.)
    Rather than a smarmy reply, how about telling us why a hard drive
    backup (which is massively faster and easier - not to mention won't
    require flipping DVDs) won't work.
    foo Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bfaeps$qbd$1bolt.sonic.net>,
    [email]claudelbolt.sonic.net[/email] (claudel) wrote:
    > In article <1fybfku.17i5pl0hpwejuN%twixter3030nospamhotmail. com>,
    > Sara Garland <twixter3030nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

    > >> If you don't my my asking:
    > >
    > >Actually, I'd rather get some recommendations first. So far, besides
    > >your question my only replies have been a joke and someone who decided
    > >that I don't need software. <sigh>
    >
    > Hello
    >
    > I have the same need for backup software,
    > so if anyone is listening, count this as
    > a "Me Too" :&).
    >
    > Specifically,though, I am unhappy that I spent
    > good money on a bundle of useless software:
    > Norton AV & other stuff including Retrospect,
    > which _saw_ the Superdrive in my PB, but
    > didn't recognize it as writable.
    > I deinstalled all of it, eventually and am
    > disappointed that I couldnt get a refund.
    What version of Retrospect and which drive?

    Because:

    [url]http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=858 6[/url]

    and

    [url]http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=816 5[/url]

    and

    [url]http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=858 7[/url]

    and

    [url]http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=894 8[/url]

  8. #8

    In article <pkghhvgi4arb42f1rj6d8d77pba69mohb24ax.com>,
    foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:28:10 GMT, [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara
    > Garland) wrote:

    > >> CRON and that 160GB drive could do what you want.
    > >
    > >As much as you may think that you're helping, you aren't. (Unless you
    > >intended to simply troll, in which case you've done a moderately
    > >successful job and will probably be killfiled soon.)
    >
    > Rather than a smarmy reply, how about telling us why a hard drive
    > backup (which is massively faster and easier - not to mention won't
    > require flipping DVDs) won't work.
    How do you both have the hard drive available to do that back *and* keep
    the backup offsite?

  9. #9

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 04:04:53 GMT, Alan Baker <alangbakertelus.net>
    wrote:
    >In article <pkghhvgi4arb42f1rj6d8d77pba69mohb24ax.com>,
    > foo <foobar.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 03:28:10 GMT, [email]twixter3030nospamhotmail.com[/email] (Sara
    >> Garland) wrote:

    >> >As much as you may think that you're helping, you aren't. (Unless you
    >> >intended to simply troll, in which case you've done a moderately
    >> >successful job and will probably be killfiled soon.)
    >>
    >> Rather than a smarmy reply, how about telling us why a hard drive
    >> backup (which is massively faster and easier - not to mention won't
    >> require flipping DVDs) won't work.
    >
    >How do you both have the hard drive available to do that back *and* keep
    >the backup offsite?
    Buy two. :)
    foo Guest

  10. #10

    In article <1fyb67e.1ltbikiu37zicN%twixter3030nospamhotmail. com>, Sara
    Garland <twixter3030nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi there, I am looking for a recommendation for a back-up util that will
    > let me perform back-ups across multiple Superdrive disks, around 35GB
    > right now. Without getting into specifics I do not like Retrospect so I
    > am looking for a solid app with a good UI, costing up to US $75. Thanks.
    I've been happy with the .Mac backup utility. But so far I've only done
    a full backup, so I don't know how well it handles incremental backups.
    If you're willing to spend $75 for backup software alone, and the other
    ..Mac features would be useful to you, it's worth a look.

    --
    The idea of going completely crazy on laughing gas in the middle of
    a DAs' drug conference had a definite warped appeal. But not on the

  11. #11

    In article <alangbaker-E8817C.21045618072003news.telus.net>, Alan
    Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    > How do you both have the hard drive available to do that back *and* keep
    > the backup offsite?
    When did the OP say she wanted to store the backups off-site?
    jemmy ducks Guest

  12. #12

    In article <180720032248031118%jdinvalid.invalid>,
    jemmy ducks <jdinvalid.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <alangbaker-E8817C.21045618072003news.telus.net>, Alan
    > Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    >
    > > How do you both have the hard drive available to do that back *and* keep
    > > the backup offsite?
    >
    > When did the OP say she wanted to store the backups off-site?
    Anyone who does backups should store them offsite. Period.

  13. #13

    In article <180720032248021061%jdinvalid.invalid>,
    jemmy ducks <jdinvalid.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <1fybfqh.1l7i4xc873amrN%twixter3030nospamhotmail. com>, Sara
    > Garland <twixter3030nospamhotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > As much as you may think that you're helping, you aren't. (Unless you
    > > intended to simply troll, in which case you've done a moderately
    > > successful job and will probably be killfiled soon.)
    >
    > He's not trolling. He's giving you good advice. Backing up to DVD will
    > be painfully slow. Get yourself an external firewire drive and you will
    > be ever so much happier.
    That would depend upon how much data actually *needs* backing up,
    wouldn't you say?

  14. #14

    In article <alangbaker-7DC7AB.22564018072003news.telus.net>, Alan
    Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    > Anyone who does backups should store them offsite. Period.
    Want to take a bet on whether she intends to store the disks off-site?
    jemmy ducks Guest

  15. #15

    In article <180720032324382816%jdinvalid.invalid>,
    jemmy ducks <jdinvalid.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <alangbaker-7DC7AB.22564018072003news.telus.net>, Alan
    > Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone who does backups should store them offsite. Period.
    >
    > Want to take a bet on whether she intends to store the disks off-site?
    No. But the comment to which I replied asked why a hard drive backup
    might not work, so it really doesn't matter.

    And anyone who does backups (and almost everyone should do backups)
    should store them offsite.

    Period.

  16. #16

    In article <180720032328367047%jdinvalid.invalid>,
    jemmy ducks <jdinvalid.invalid> wrote:
    > In article <alangbaker-B85902.22571718072003news.telus.net>, Alan
    > Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    >
    > > That would depend upon how much data actually *needs* backing up,
    > > wouldn't you say?
    >
    > 35 GB. Pay attention.
    So the initial backkup takes a little while...

    But how much does the data *change* week to week?

  17. #17

    In article <alangbaker-22CD0D.21001418072003news.telus.net>,
    Alan Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    >In article <bfaeps$qbd$1bolt.sonic.net>,
    > [email]claudelbolt.sonic.net[/email] (claudel) wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1fybfku.17i5pl0hpwejuN%twixter3030nospamhotmail. com>,
    >> Sara Garland <twixter3030nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

    >> >Actually, I'd rather get some recommendations first. So far, besides
    >> >your question my only replies have been a joke and someone who decided
    >> >that I don't need software. <sigh>
    >>
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I have the same need for backup software,
    >> so if anyone is listening, count this as
    >> a "Me Too" :&).
    >>
    >> Specifically,though, I am unhappy that I spent
    >> good money on a bundle of useless software:
    >> Norton AV & other stuff including Retrospect,
    >> which _saw_ the Superdrive in my PB, but
    >> didn't recognize it as writable.
    >> I deinstalled all of it, eventually and am
    >> disappointed that I couldnt get a refund.
    >
    >What version of Retrospect and which drive?
    >
    >Because:
    >
    >[url]http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=858 6[/url]
    >
    >and
    >
    >[url]http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=816 5[/url]
    >
    >and
    >
    >[url]http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=858 7[/url]
    >
    >and
    >
    >[url]http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list_detail&id=894 8[/url]

    Mata DVD-R UJ-815, according to Toast.

    Don't know exactly which Retrospect.

    I uninstalled it, and the disc is packed away.

    Not much more than 6 months old...

    I haven't really paid attention to upgrades/drivers since I canned it.

    As far as a backup program...

    I want something that isn't sensitive to different drive models
    and I would like the filesystem on the DVDs to allow easy browsing
    and quick file retrieval, preferably an uncompressed native Mac OS X
    format. First ( or last ) disc of the set should be bootable and
    have the capability to support a full or partial system restore.

    A spiffy GUI and a simple database of the backups in a non-proprietary
    format would be a nice bonus.

    I realize that I _could_ make an image, chop it up, save the pieces, etc.
    but I don't think that a good backup system should be that complicated.

    I just want to fire off the backup, have it ask for new media when it
    needs it, let me know when it is done, and keep a easily accessible
    record of what it puts where. Capability to do incrementals after a
    complete backup would save on blanks. Oh yeah, I have to have 99.99999%
    certainty that if I ever need a file off a backup set it'll be there
    and not be corrupted or encrypted with a missing key or anything silly
    like that. :^)

    Claude

    claudel Guest

  18. #18

    In article <alangbaker-480903.23290218072003news.telus.net>, Alan
    Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    > No. But the comment to which I replied asked why a hard drive backup
    > might not work, so it really doesn't matter.
    >
    > And anyone who does backups (and almost everyone should do backups)
    > should store them offsite.
    >
    > Period.
    I agree that there are some things that really ought to be stored
    off-site (source files, for example). However, most people do not store
    their backups off-site. I, for example, only store a few megs of
    essential files on my iDisk, and everything else goes to an external HD
    (via Retrospect, by the way). Were it not for the iDisk, I would
    certainly store those few files on a CD at work. But most files are not
    all that critical. If the OP loses her whole mp3 collection in a fire,
    then the insurance money will allow her to replace (even enhance) her
    whole collection at the iTunes store.

    If our OP really wants a convenient and fast backup strategy, an
    external HD (or two if you want to be really super secure and store all
    your .mp3s and home movies in a Nevada salt mine) is the only way to
    go.

    By the way, ending everything you say with an emphatic "Period." is not
    the strongest of rhetorical devices (although it sometimes works with
    small children if you're their parent and combine "Period" with a
    significant look in the eye).
    jemmy ducks Guest

  19. #19

    In article <alangbaker-7DC7AB.22564018072003news.telus.net>,
    Alan Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    > In article <180720032248031118%jdinvalid.invalid>,
    > jemmy ducks <jdinvalid.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <alangbaker-E8817C.21045618072003news.telus.net>, Alan
    > > Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > > How do you both have the hard drive available to do that back *and* keep
    > > > the backup offsite?
    > >
    > > When did the OP say she wanted to store the backups off-site?
    >
    > Anyone who does backups should store them offsite. Period.
    And chances are Aunt Barb and Uncle Bill arent going to store it
    offsite. Remember the mac is for the consumer
    no Guest

  20. #20

    In article <no-2DFFB7.01410519072003newssvr14-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
    no <nono.com> wrote:
    > In article <alangbaker-7DC7AB.22564018072003news.telus.net>,
    > Alan Baker <alangbakertelus.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <180720032248031118%jdinvalid.invalid>,
    > > jemmy ducks <jdinvalid.invalid> wrote:

    > > > When did the OP say she wanted to store the backups off-site?
    > >
    > > Anyone who does backups should store them offsite. Period.
    >
    > And chances are Aunt Barb and Uncle Bill arent going to store it
    > offsite. Remember the mac is for the consumer
    Then that's their mistake. But a common mistake doesn't make for
    sensible practice.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia