Professional Web Applications Themes

Background...go away! - Adobe Photoshop Elements

When I make my background transparent by using the magic eraser, I still have a "white box" surrounding the graphic when I place it into another program on a colored background. How do I get this to go away? Thank you!...

  1. #1

    Default Background...go away!

    Erica_D_Emery@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Background...go away!

    I just figured out the answer to my own question! After you save your graphic, a message box pops up asking if you wish to compress, yadda yadda yadda. I never paid any attention to the bottom of the box, which says "Save Transparency"...after I checked that box, my problem was gone!
    Erica_D_Emery@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick_Smith@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    For some reason I cannot figure out how to delete the background from my photos on Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 . I'm sure there's a simple way to do it but I haven't found it. I just want a solid white or other color background no print or designs. I thought the layer palette was supposed to show all layers in the photo including the background then all I would have to do is paint over the background but can't get it to work like that. I have the book that goes with the program but still can't make heads or tails out from it. I would really appreciate any suggestions or help regarding this! Thanks in advance for any help!
    CAROLYN_HOLDREN@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Carolyn, please tell us a little about your project, and I'm sure someone will be able to give you some direction.

    As far as the layers pallet goes, you'll only get the layers if the image you're viewing was created using them and they were not flattened or merged at the time of the final save. If you import an image from a camera or scanner, everything will be on one layer until you add more through editing of some kind.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Carolyn,

    It is pretty common for someone to read about layers and open pictures and
    expect to see the picture automatically divided into layers. Sadly this is
    not how it works.

    If you have a picture of a person on a beach and want to replace a sky that
    is not quite as attractive as you would like; first you must "select" the
    sky by using one of the "selection tools" and then create a new layer from
    that selection. Or you can "delete" the selected sky and make a new layer
    of solid blue color and add clouds with the cloud brush.

    There are many things you can do with layers but they are all created by
    you. That is why Beth asked the nature of your project; so tips and
    directions specific to your project can be given. There are a lot of people
    here to offer assistance for what you are doing :)

    Pete

    Pete_D@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    These are photos taken by my digital camera that I edit in Adobe Photo Deluxe then export to Photoshop Elements 2.0 to try to take the background out to replace by solid color. These are photos of objects, not people. I've always taken the background out before by a long drawn-out way in Photo Deluxe but was hoping to find a faster easier way.
    CAROLYN_HOLDREN@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Carolyn, if you use one of the selection tools (selection brush, lasso,
    tool, etc.) to carefully surround what you want to keep, then invert the
    selection (Select<Inverse), then add a Color Fill Layer (Layer<New Fill
    Layer<Solid Color), you should be able to achieve the desired effect. If
    you want more details on that method, please write back.

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Chuck....Thank you very much for your help. I also tried the magic wand tool and clicked outside the object I wanted to keep and held the shift key down until I had all the background done then clicked New Fill Layer > solid color and it did great! Thanks again!
    CAROLYN_HOLDREN@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Carolyn, that's a better approach than mine - glad you found it! With the
    Fill layer, it has a mask attached; you can 'paint' on that mask with black
    to hide more of the background or with white to expand what shows through.
    So if your initial selection with the magic wand needs any touchup, you have
    that option so long as you keep that Fill layer intact.