Professional Web Applications Themes

Backing up and restoring system HELP - not a SCO user - SCO

Someone in another department is asking for my help with a 5 year old setup of SCO 5.0.5 release 3.2 running on a pc. I don't work with SCO so I know nothing about it, other than that most Unix commands I know seem to work on it. The problem is this: They have a failover setup, of which one server of two is now dead. They have no tape backups at all. When I go to make a backup of the one still good machine to the tape drive in their system, it tells me the device rStp0 is ...

  1. #1

    Default Backing up and restoring system HELP - not a SCO user

    Someone in another department is asking for my help with a 5 year old
    setup of SCO 5.0.5 release 3.2 running on a pc. I don't work with SCO
    so I know nothing about it, other than that most Unix commands I know
    seem to work on it.

    The problem is this: They have a failover setup, of which one server
    of two is now dead. They have no tape backups at all. When I go to
    make a backup of the one still good machine to the tape drive in their
    system, it tells me the device rStp0 is offline. This system
    supposedly is not to be shutdown for more than 30 seconds a pop, so
    getting another tape drive to replace this one is like a last resort.

    The tape device is an HP surestore T20, which I believe is a scsi
    device. The only tapes we've found are DC2120 but no one is sure that
    they are the right ones although they seem to fit in the drive and
    some green lights come on as I think the tape is being rewound.

    I have tried 'tape reset', 'tape rewind', and other commands like
    this, sometimes specifying the tape device as rStp0, and sometimes not
    but allowing the default tape drive listed in /etc/default/tape to be
    chosen (xct0). Neither one works, and I assume that the tape drive
    doesn't care what type of cartridge it is to do a rewind as long as it
    fits in the drive.

    I ran one unix command to see if there were any hardware conflicts
    (hwconfig -c), and it found none.

    I have thought I can backup to a tape drive remotely on another Unix
    server we have here, but then the problem comes in - how to restore
    from that tape drive when all I have is a SCO root floppy and boot
    floppy I was able to create. Will they work to reconnect the
    server-being-rebuilt to the remote device to do a complete system
    restore? If not, I suppose I could try to reinstall 5.0.5 from their
    media, but I am not sure they even know where that is.

    I have also thought about backing up to a remote filesystem on another
    server, with the same problems as the remote tape drive.

    Do you have any ideas, please? I don't know what to do now. Why O Why
    didn't they do backups before?????
    Thank You Thank You Thank You for any help.

    C. Geier
    St. Paul, MN
    C. Guest

  2. #2

    In article <google.com>,
    C. Geier <edu> wrote:

    Somewhere along the line something is going to have to be shut
    down.

    The SuperTar programs - BackupEdge or LoneTar will do what you
    want.

    I've used one of them to backup a machine that was a headless
    server with no floppies and no tape drives.

    The recovery disks the SuperTars make should let you build from the
    ground up on a new machine - but I've never tried one where the
    entire backup as made to a remote. I can't see why it wont work.

    Tom at MicroLite or Jeff at Cactus could probably comment on that.

    I think you'd be better off backing up to a tape on the remote
    system and then rebuild. If the hardware is identical you'll have
    no problems.

    It's like thining you'll never have fire/earthquake/flood until
    it's too late.

    I only got one client to get backups off site after a huge
    transformer about 20 feet from their front door took most of the
    building it was in up in flames and the 3" metal conduit the
    cables were in melted.

    The building he was in was filled with smoke but the SCO system
    survived that one.

    Bill
    building it was

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    On 23 Oct 2003 14:50:16 -0700, edu (C. Geier) wrote:

    [snip]

    The T20's often go offline for no reason. They also go back online
    (tape status returns ready) for no reason. Sometimes, turning power
    off/on will wake up an offline drive. I've gone as long as four days
    of trying to make a T20 work, only to give up, then come back a few
    days later and try the drive again and have it work! The cartridge can
    also be a player in this game. Try different cartridges. On occasion,
    I've had to try several different brand new cartridges before finding
    one that works. The T20 is a Travan 5 drive. I think it can read a
    Travan 4 tape (possibly others) but can only write to a Travan 5 tape.

    Good luck,

    DDinAZ
    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > The SuperTar programs - BackupEdge or LoneTar will do what you
    > want.
    >
    > I've used one of them to backup a machine that was a headless
    > server with no floppies and no tape drives.
    >
    > The recovery disks the SuperTars make should let you build from the
    > ground up on a new machine - but I've never tried one where the
    > entire backup as made to a remote. I can't see why it wont work.
    >
    > Tom at MicroLite or Jeff at Cactus could probably comment on that.[/ref]

    Remote Backup, Verify, Restore, Fast File Restore and Disaster
    Recovery are all built in to BackupEDGE.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Tom

  5. #5

    "Dave erson" <com> wrote in message

    > The T20's often go offline for no reason. They also go back online
    > (tape status returns ready) for no reason. Sometimes, turning power
    > off/on will wake up an offline drive. I've gone as long as four days
    > of trying to make a T20 work, only to give up, then come back a few
    > days later and try the drive again and have it work! The cartridge can
    > also be a player in this game. Try different cartridges. On occasion,
    > I've had to try several different brand new cartridges before finding
    > one that works. The T20 is a Travan 5 drive. I think it can read a
    > Travan 4 tape (possibly others) but can only write to a Travan 5 tape.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > DDinAZ[/ref]
    DC2120 Tapes are 120MB Colorado tapes for the old floppy based drives. Look
    for TR-xx tapes for the travan drive.

    Rick Guest