Professional Web Applications Themes

Backpacks - any experience with Lowepro Rover? - Photography

Does anyone have any experience with Lowepro's Rover AW backpacks? These are models where camera gear is kept in a lower compartment, and personal items can be carried in the upper portion. This sort of layout seems quite appealing. Here's a link to the item: http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Rover_AW_II.aspx Lowepro also makes a larger version called (sensibly) the Rover Plus AW. It seems nice too, but perhaps a bit too big for my needs. Has anyone given that model a try? Would I regret not having the extra capacity of the bigger model? I can't foresee a need to carry more than one ...

  1. #1

    Default Backpacks - any experience with Lowepro Rover?

    Does anyone have any experience with Lowepro's Rover AW backpacks? These are
    models where camera gear is kept in a lower compartment, and personal items
    can be carried in the upper portion. This sort of layout seems quite
    appealing.

    Here's a link to the item:

    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/allWeather/Rover_AW_II.aspx

    Lowepro also makes a larger version called (sensibly) the Rover Plus AW. It
    seems nice too, but perhaps a bit too big for my needs. Has anyone given
    that model a try? Would I regret not having the extra capacity of the bigger
    model?

    I can't foresee a need to carry more than one camera body and a few lenses.
    I'm interested in backpacks to also tote my tripod and raingear.

    Basic Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Backpacks - any experience with Lowepro Rover?

    Being the outdoorzy type, I gave them a look a couple months ago...

    I find that Lowe seem to use people with short backs as models for their
    backpacks, and the rover I is way too short for me (belt goes above my belly
    button). The Rover II is a bit better that way, being longer, but I didn't
    buy it in the end due to my Laptop not fitting in the top with enough room
    for a padded protector sleeve of some sort...

    I know someone who carries one of the Rovers around with him everywhere,
    with a reasonable sized 20D kit in it though.

    I'm using a toploader and a Lowepro computreker, the toploader zoom
    attaches to the front of all my packs and I use my old mountain hiking pack
    for the kinds of things I usually put in it... the toploader zoom on the
    front with camera/zoom in it.

    Al...

    "Basic Wedge" <ca> wrote in message

    Alan Guest

  3. #3

    Nope, I use a LowePro Mini Trekker AW. It suits my needs of carrying more
    photo gear than normal daysack contents.
    The mini Trekker has the ability to take a couple of bolt-on (velcro
    actually) holders, one on each side and I can easily strap my tripod to the
    back of it. It does have a secondary compartment on the back where I store
    my waterproofs, a minimal first aid kit, compass, GPS when I'm not using it,
    map, water, dry socks, etc. Carrying a quantity of food is a problem,
    especially for weekend treks away from civilisation so I tend not to stray
    too far away from a pub. I have thought about strapping on a webbing belt
    and a couple of pouches for food 'n water but haven't tried it yet. Aspen of
    Hereford ( http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Aspen-of-Hereford-Limited ) have a good
    range of packs especially for users of DSLR cameras (any camera actually,
    just trying to be PC and get back, albeit tenuously, to topic).

    Pete Smith.

    "Basic Wedge" <ca> wrote in message

    Pete Guest

  4. #4

     [/ref]

    I've used one off & on for quite a while - well, it's the original version,
    same style but different colour.
    It's OK size-wise as hold baggage when flying. I normally carry a body, four
    lenses, batteries & CF cards in the bottom.
    Survival gear goes in the top.
    It's not my favourite - it's quite inconvenient dropping the bottom to
    access lenses. In hot climates I won't use it - I prefer to use my Berghaus
    ruckie because it has an air-space frame to stop your back getting clammy.
    (A cut-foam insert takes the lenses and the camera just dangles in the
    elements....)
    For travelling to and from shoots the Lowepro is great.
    On site it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of easy access.

    Tumbleweed Guest

  5. #5

    "Basic Wedge" <ca> writes:

    I have the Photo Trekker Classic at
    http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/classic/Photo_Trekker_Classic.aspx

    This does not have the different compartments which you find appealing, but
    it appears to be a similar size, based on the photo of the guy with the
    tripod strapped to the Rover.

    As another poster has said, the pack is made for someone with a short
    back. The 'lumbar support' hits me well above my lumbar. However, for
    carrying gear to and from a site, it is better than a 'regular' camera bag
    that you hang over one shoulder -- much better for my back. Getting to the
    gear then becomes the problem, as the bag will not sit up with the bag
    unzipped unless there is something to lean it against.

    If you want a backpack for transporting gear, I recommend them. If you want
    the backpack so that you can work out of it at a shooting scene, the
    Trekker (and presumably the Rover)is likely not to be your cuppa tea. Your
    mileage will vary.

    My suggestion is to find one at a store and see if you can work with it on
    the floor or counter top. I also suggest trying it on to see if it fits
    your back.
    Phil Guest

  6. #6

    I also have a Mini Trekker AW. As others have said it seems to be made for
    shorter people, and I'm only 5'10". It's a great way to carry your gear,
    but you have to remember you can't really work out of it. You must take it
    off to get to anything inside it, which is somewhat of a pain. It does have
    a novel way to carry a tripod, and your hands and arms are left free to do
    other things, like actually take photos and not worry about a bag falling
    off your shoulder. I normally carry one DSLR and a few lenses. If I leave
    the 500mm lens at home, I can get another camera and lens in there.

    BTW, when loaded up it's pretty damn heavy. For short trips or when you
    don't need much a belt pack/fanny pack would be nice. You could bring it
    around to work out of, then swing it back to get it out of the way.

    "Pete Smith" <com> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    Sheldon Guest

  7. #7

    Phil Stripling wrote:

    > I have the Photo Trekker Classic at
    > http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/classic/Photo_Trekker_Classic.aspx
    >
    > This does not have the different compartments which you find
    > appealing, but it appears to be a similar size, based on the photo of
    > the guy with the tripod strapped to the Rover.
    >
    > As another poster has said, the pack is made for someone with a short
    > back. The 'lumbar support' hits me well above my lumbar. However, for
    > carrying gear to and from a site, it is better than a 'regular'
    > camera bag that you hang over one shoulder -- much better for my
    > back. Getting to the gear then becomes the problem, as the bag will
    > not sit up with the bag unzipped unless there is something to lean it
    > against.
    >
    > If you want a backpack for transporting gear, I recommend them. If
    > you want the backpack so that you can work out of it at a shooting
    > scene, the
    > Trekker (and presumably the Rover)is likely not to be your cuppa tea.
    > Your mileage will vary.
    >
    > My suggestion is to find one at a store and see if you can work with
    > it on the floor or counter top. I also suggest trying it on to see if
    > it fits
    > your back.[/ref]

    Domke sells a harness strap that allows their "regular" shoulder bags to
    be carried like backpacks. I suppose if you have a working bag you like,
    theirs or one like it could be adapted.

    My backpack search resulted in buying the "Outpack" from Focus Camera.
    It has true backpack characteristics (aluminum frame, fully balanceable
    harness, lumbar-thing, etc.) and "casette drawer" compartments for easy
    access.

    With a fast connection or patience you can see the literature and a few
    snapshots of this very pleasing ancillary:
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/4CFBE219E9CC8C1

    No real provision for clothing or food, but my tentative arrangement
    till leave the top compartment free for a few such items, while the
    pretty-big waistpack (Tamrac 707?) hung in front will accommodate a
    couple lenses and backup camera, in addition to the principal camera
    (20D).

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:36:57 GMT, "Basic Wedge" <ca>
    wrote:

    I have one but don't like it much. Doesn't carry enough in the
    protected lower compartment and it's awkward to open up.

    Ron

    com
    http://borealphotography.com
    Ron Guest