Professional Web Applications Themes

Backup & Permissions Questions - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Brad S wrote: > Does anyone or know of scripts/methods for backing up directories on a > linux machine to a windows machine? Also Is there anyway to have a > file change its status to read only after it hasn't been modified for > x amount of days? > > Thanks Again for All the Great Advice. Transmit a gzipped tarball of the directory in question, or learn to use SMB mounting if you don't care about symbolic links. And yes, you can set a cron job to run the "find" command and detect all such files and modify ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Backup & Permissions Questions

    Brad S wrote:
    > Does anyone or know of scripts/methods for backing up directories on a
    > linux machine to a windows machine? Also Is there anyway to have a
    > file change its status to read only after it hasn't been modified for
    > x amount of days?
    >
    > Thanks Again for All the Great Advice.
    Transmit a gzipped tarball of the directory in question, or learn to use
    SMB mounting if you don't care about symbolic links.

    And yes, you can set a cron job to run the "find" command and detect all
    such files and modify them as needed. A similar task is used to flush
    the /tmp directory.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  2. #2

    In article <d3ed679f.0306261650.3b271c35posting.google.com >, Brad S wrote:
    > Does anyone or know of scripts/methods for backing up directories on a
    > linux machine to a windows machine? Also Is there anyway to have a
    > file change its status to read only after it hasn't been modified for
    > x amount of days?
    Mount the Win filesystem with samba and use tar/cpio/afio/whatever from
    linux to write the backup to the network drive. You want to avoid using a
    Windows backup utility to back up linux filesystems because Windows
    doesn't understand linux filesystem attributes like ownerships,
    permissions, links, etc. Anything restored from such a backup would have
    seriously limited utility.

    --

    -John (John.Thompsonnew.rr.com)
    John Thompson Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:00:49 GMT, John Thompson <johnstarfleet.os2.us> wrote:
    > In article <d3ed679f.0306261650.3b271c35posting.google.com >, Brad S wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone or know of scripts/methods for backing up directories on a
    >> linux machine to a windows machine? Also Is there anyway to have a
    >> file change its status to read only after it hasn't been modified for
    >> x amount of days?
    >
    > Mount the Win filesystem with samba and use tar/cpio/afio/whatever from
    > linux to write the backup to the network drive. You want to avoid using a
    > Windows backup utility to back up linux filesystems because Windows
    > doesn't understand linux filesystem attributes like ownerships,
    > permissions, links, etc. Anything restored from such a backup would have
    > seriously limited utility.

    Forgive if this is a bit off topic or perhaps requires a few additional
    steps; but one could use cygwin on the windows box and use something
    like amanda or rsync or perhaps another tool to do backups like this. I
    believe that amanda exists now on cygwin and one could setup amanda to
    do disk backups (tapeless) for various Linux clients. I have not used
    amanda in cygwin so I don't know how it operates or what it does, but
    cygwin may be an interesting way to go. It also has the advantage of
    giving you a set of tools which I found very useful on my W2kpro box.

    There are perhaps a few other tools as well like rsync that would do
    this. I kinda look at rsync like a swiss army knife and the blade seems
    to remain sharp for whatever task regarding backups or remote synching I
    ask of it. Another interesting one is unison which has some very nice
    functionality. Rsync would require the cygwin environment, but unison
    has both Unix and Win32 clients. I don't know specifically how it
    handles ownership and permissions if backups or file/directory
    operations are conducted on directories on a Linux system.

    --
    Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
    [email]mperrylnxpowered.org[/email] | [url]http://www.lnxpowered.org[/url]