Professional Web Applications Themes

backup mysql from Linux to Windows? - MySQL

Hi I've got a Linux server with a mysql database which is growing too big. I want to back up my database, empty it before doing various changes and then import some of the data again. The smartest would probably be to export the data with mysqldump - unfortunately my space left on the server is not enough, so I need to export the data to another computer. Here the question is, can I export it to my windows pc? It seems mysqldump can connect to a host (--host) so would it work if I set up an ftp-server at ...

  1. #1

    Default backup mysql from Linux to Windows?

    Hi

    I've got a Linux server with a mysql database which is growing too big.
    I want to back up my database, empty it before doing various changes and
    then import some of the data again.

    The smartest would probably be to export the data with mysqldump -
    unfortunately my space left on the server is not enough, so I need to
    export the data to another computer. Here the question is, can I export
    it to my windows pc? It seems mysqldump can connect to a host (--host)
    so would it work if I set up an ftp-server at my local pc? Another
    possibilty might be, I have a ssh connection to the linux server, maybe
    its possible to use this? Or can mysqldump pipe onto a shared windows
    folder?

    If you have experiences or ideas with the above I'd really like to hear
    from you :)

    Thanx

    ps. I'm talking about 6GB of data - how mutch that will be on a dump I
    don't know.
    Ask Josephsen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: backup mysql from Linux to Windows?

    Ask Josephsen wrote:
    > The smartest would probably be to export the data with mysqldump -
    > unfortunately my space left on the server is not enough, so I need to
    > export the data to another computer. Here the question is, can I export
    > it to my windows pc? It seems mysqldump can connect to a host (--host)
    > so would it work if I set up an ftp-server at my local pc?
    No need to use an ftp server on the PC.

    What I'd do is run the mysqldump utility on Windows, and specify the
    hostname of your Linux server with the --host option. Then the output
    of the mysqldump command can be written very easily on the Windows drive.

    You might also reduce the volume of data going over the network, by
    using mysqldump's --compress option.
    > Another
    > possibilty might be, I have a ssh connection to the linux server, maybe
    > its possible to use this? Or can mysqldump pipe onto a shared windows
    > folder?
    You can use smbmount on the Linux box to mount a Windows share (similar
    to what called "mapping a drive" on Windows). Then you could run
    mysqldump on Linux and write its output to the Windows share via the
    network.

    But I'd still prefer the solution above, since SMB is a notoriously
    inefficient protocol.

    Regards,
    Bill K.
    Bill Karwin Guest

  3. #3

    You can install the client utilities on your Windows PC and run
    mysqldump from there, writing to a local (PC) file. No FTP or file
    shares are required. Just connect to the database host using the
    --host option as you noted.

    You might want to try in on a subset of your 6GB database to get a feel
    for the volume.

    Bob Lanteigne

    Bob Lanteigne Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:58:23 +0200, Ask Josephsen
    <ask_remrem_minreklame.dk> wrote:
    >The smartest would probably be to export the data with mysqldump -
    >unfortunately my space left on the server is not enough, so I need to
    >export the data to another computer. Here the question is, can I export
    >it to my windows pc?
    > It seems mysqldump can connect to a host (--host)
    Yes, run mysqldump on your MSWindows PC and use the --host to
    connect it to the database sever.
    Its output can be piped into any local file on the MSWindows PC
    >so would it work if I set up an ftp-server at my local pc?
    Not needed.
    >Another
    >possibilty might be, I have a ssh connection to the linux server, maybe
    >its possible to use this? Or can mysqldump pipe onto a shared windows
    >folder?
    Not impossible, but running mysqldump on your MSWindows PC is
    much easier.

    HTH
    --
    ( Kees
    )

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ask Josephsen Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ask Josephsen Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ask Josephsen Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bill Karwin Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Kees Nuyt Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ask Josephsen Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 18:41:03 +0200, Ask Josephsen
    <ask_remrem_minreklame.dk> wrote:

    >Anywayz a friend of mine is stopping by to help me out. Linux is not as
    >easy when you are used to windows :)
    >
    >Thanks alot for your time, you got me quite far...
    You're welcome.
    Good luck, troubleshooting can be fun,
    when you find the cause of the problem ;)
    --
    ( Kees
    )