Professional Web Applications Themes

Backup of Redhat (Ghost) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am new in Linux. I've just installed a RedHat in my intel PC. I would like to know how to do the backup of the whole system. I usually use 'Ghost' (Symantec product) to make an image on Windows PC. I am wondering whether I can use this method to do the backup and restore on Redhat. Hope someone has the experience on this. Thanks for any input....

  1. #1

    Default Backup of Redhat (Ghost)

    I am new in Linux. I've just installed a RedHat in my intel PC. I would like
    to know how to do the backup of the whole system.

    I usually use 'Ghost' (Symantec product) to make an image on Windows PC. I
    am wondering whether I can use this method to do the backup and restore on
    Redhat. Hope someone has the experience on this. Thanks for any input.

    Rickie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Backup of Redhat (Ghost)

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 at 12:25 GMT, Rickie eloquently wrote:
    > I am new in Linux. I've just installed a RedHat in my intel PC. I would like
    > to know how to do the backup of the whole system.
    >
    > I usually use 'Ghost' (Symantec product) to make an image on Windows PC. I
    > am wondering whether I can use this method to do the backup and restore on
    > Redhat. Hope someone has the experience on this. Thanks for any input.
    See the thread 'Incremental backups' in comp.os.linux.setup.

    HTH.

    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 ([url]http://counter.li.org[/url]) | Please remove
    Certified: 75% , 42% of which is tard. | '.invalid'

  3. #3

    Rickie wrote:
    > I am new in Linux. I've just installed a RedHat in my intel PC. I would like
    > to know how to do the backup of the whole system.
    >
    > I usually use 'Ghost' (Symantec product) to make an image on Windows PC. I
    > am wondering whether I can use this method to do the backup and restore on
    > Redhat. Hope someone has the experience on this. Thanks for any input.

    This gets talked about all the time here. Reading old posts would show
    you how. Many different ways, in fact. It is my impression that most
    people use tar, which makes no sense to me. Bell Labs tried to replace
    tar with cpio in the 1980s or early 1990s because of the many
    limitations of tar.

    Now there are other methods. There once was a program named volcopy that
    would copy a whole file system (warts and all) to another file system
    (presumably on a different medium, such as another hard drive, tape,
    etc). There is a program named dump that I have never bothered with.

    I used to use a combination of find and cpio in a shell script run at
    night by cron. Now I use a proprietary program named BRU. There are
    others. Your biggest problem is probably deciding just what to back up
    and how often.

    I back up EVERYTHING every day on a bunch of tapes named Monday,
    Tuesday, ..., Saturday.
    Once a week I back up EVERYTHING on another bunch of tapes named First
    Sunday, ..., Fifth Sunday.
    Once a month I back up EVERYTHING on another bunch of tapes named
    January, ..., December. I keep all but the most recent monthly tape in
    the safe deposit box at the bank, and the most recent one in a different
    room from the computers.

    Had I so much data that it would not fit on a single tape, I would do
    incremental dumps during the week and full dumps on Sundays.

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey [url]http://counter.li.org[/url]
    ^^-^^ 8:40am up 25 days, 18:05, 2 users, load average: 2.49, 2.25, 2.15

    Jean-David Beyer Guest

  4. #4

    Rickie wrote:
    > I am new in Linux. I've just installed a RedHat in my intel PC. I would like
    > to know how to do the backup of the whole system.
    >
    > I usually use 'Ghost' (Symantec product) to make an image on Windows PC. I
    > am wondering whether I can use this method to do the backup and restore on
    > Redhat. Hope someone has the experience on this. Thanks for any input.

    Yes you can, with your bootable CD.

    -WD

    Will Dormann Guest

  5. #5

    Rickie wrote:
    > I usually use 'Ghost' (Symantec product) to make an image on Windows PC. I
    .... [url]http://www.partimage.org/[/url]

    and STOP X-POSTING to SO MANY GROUPS!!!
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    Death is only a state of mind. Only it doesn't leave you much
    time to think about anything else.

    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    wongrickie>
    wongrickie> I am new in Linux. I've just installed a RedHat in my
    wongrickie> intel PC. I would like to know how to do the backup of the
    wongrickie> whole system.
    wongrickie>
    wongrickie> I usually use 'Ghost' (Symantec product) to make an image
    wongrickie> on Windows PC. I am wondering whether I can use this
    wongrickie> method to do the backup and restore on Redhat. Hope
    wongrickie> someone has the experience on this. Thanks for any input.

    I recommend mondo:

    [url]http://mondorescue.org/[/url]

    There are RedHat rpms, and it works well on RedHat.

    --Rob
    Rob Ristroph Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:49:01 -0400, Jean-David Beyer
    <jdbeyerexit109.com> wrote:
    >Once a month I back up EVERYTHING on another bunch of tapes named
    >January, ..., December. I keep all but the most recent monthly tape in
    >the safe deposit box at the bank, and the most recent one in a different
    >room from the computers.
    Our department was doing this and then decided to limit our
    _liability_ too a few months.

    It sure beats the alternative of someone coming up wanting an email
    from 1996-1997.."I remember there was snow on the ground.. so it was
    sometime in the winter.."

    Steve W Guest

  8. #8

    Steve W wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:49:01 -0400, Jean-David Beyer
    > <jdbeyerexit109.com> wrote:
    >

    >> Once a month I back up EVERYTHING on another bunch of tapes named
    >> January, ..., December. I keep all but the most recent monthly tape
    >> in the safe deposit box at the bank, and the most recent one in a
    >> different room from the computers.
    >

    > Our department was doing this and then decided to limit our
    > _liability_ too a few months.
    OK if your attories permit it. Some entities are required to keep them
    for as long as statute of limitations laws or court orders require. This
    is often for 7 years. (My system only goes back one year; were I
    required to keep files longer, I would need 7 more tapes or so.)

    > It sure beats the alternative of someone coming up wanting an email
    > from 1996-1997.."I remember there was snow on the ground.. so it was
    > sometime in the winter.."

    Think about this problem when someone else was administering a system I
    used. A file of mine got truncated to only the first 512 bytes. It was a
    C source file and the object file was present and it was also in a
    library. So no one noticed the source file was damaged for a year or
    more. When someone wanted a change in the file, I found it only had the
    first few lines. I requested it be restored from backup. But they had
    backups for only a month or so, so it could not be recovered.
    Disassembling the binary was N.G. because the symbol table (needed for
    any meaningful disassembly) was at the end of the file. Too bad.

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey [url]http://counter.li.org[/url]
    ^^-^^ 3:00pm up 26 days, 25 min, 2 users, load average: 4.12, 4.03, 4.00

    Jean-David Beyer Guest