Professional Web Applications Themes

Bad modem? - Mac Networking

I have a Starmax with OS 8.6. For years I've been running an external GV Teleport upgraded to V90. It almost always negotiates a speed above 50k. In the last week or so, I have often lost connections as I logged on, or I log on at a low speed. If the negotiated speed is low, I know I'll lose the connection in a minute or so. If I have trouble and keep redialing, I will be able to log on at 50k or better. If I do that. I'll be able to stay on indefinitely with no dropped connection ...

  1. #1

    Default Bad modem?

    I have a Starmax with OS 8.6. For years I've been running an external
    GV Teleport upgraded to V90. It almost always negotiates a speed above
    50k.

    In the last week or so, I have often lost connections as I logged on, or
    I log on at a low speed. If the negotiated speed is low, I know I'll
    lose the connection in a minute or so.

    If I have trouble and keep redialing, I will be able to log on at 50k or
    better. If I do that. I'll be able to stay on indefinitely with no
    dropped connection or loss of speed.

    I wonder if my ISP has a bad modem. They say my modem is bad. If my
    modem or phone line were bad, could I get such solid, fast connections
    by redialing?
    Homer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Bad modem?

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Homer Brewer <comm> wrote:

    It's difficult for you to tell in this situation whether it's your modem
    or the phone line. It's likely not the ISP's modem as that changes
    every time you connect. Unless the ISP has a lot of bad modems which
    would be unlikely you would only intermittently experience a problem.

    First step is to simply listen on the phone line (computer not logged
    in). Press a button on the phone to get rid of the dial tone. If it's
    noisy then that at least is a problem, but not necessarily the only one.

    Most new or upgraded phone connections (in the US) have a demarc
    (demarcation) box where the phone line comes into the house. One
    feature of this box is a phone jack with a cable plugged into it. If
    you unplug this cable it disconnects the house wiring. You can then
    plug a phone into it to test the connection. If problems go away with
    this test the problem is in the house. If they persist (and the phone
    is good) then the problem is with the phone line and the phone company
    has to deal with it. Try connecting the computer at this demarc box if
    there is one.

    The best thing you could do is to get another modem and try it on your
    line. Alternatively try connecting on another line.

    And if you haven't done it already make sure you power cycle the modem
    (turn it off, wait 5 seconds and then turn it on again).

    --
    Clark Martin

    Clark Guest

  3. #3

    In article <supernews.com>,
    comm says...
    Do you have an extension? Maybe it is too long!
    Do you own an answering machine? If so it could be the answer. Perhaps
    you've recently changed your answering message. That could make a world
    of difference!
    Unplug all your extras.
    Don't leave a hands free near the modem.

    Minnie
    Minnie Guest

  4. #4

    In article <individual.net>,
    Minnie <com> wrote:

    > Do you have an extension? Maybe it is too long!
    > Do you own an answering machine? If so it could be the answer. Perhaps
    > you've recently changed your answering message. That could make a world
    > of difference!
    > Unplug all your extras.
    > Don't leave a hands free near the modem.
    >
    > Minnie[/ref]

    Yes, it could be the wiring. Years go when I was still on dial-up, my
    50k Apple internal modem's speed slowed down to 39k. I got some good,
    twisted pair phone wiring from Radio Shack and hooked it directly into
    the jack coming into the house. The modem shot back up to 44-49k. The
    old wiring had been literally baking because some of it ran from the
    jack along the side of the house and into the basement window.
    nosredna Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Minnie Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    In article <sonic.net>,
    Clark Martin <net> wrote:

    > It's difficult for you to tell in this situation whether it's your modem
    > or the phone line. It's likely not the ISP's modem as that changes
    > every time you connect. Unless the ISP has a lot of bad modems which
    > would be unlikely you would only intermittently experience a problem.[/ref]

    Occasionally in the past I have gotten busy signals at certain times,
    such as lunch hour, 4 PM, and early evening. That suggests to me that
    the modem bank is near capacity at peak times. It's at peak times that
    I have been experiencing trouble. It could be at peak times that only
    the bad modem is available, unless I keep dialing until a good one is
    free.

    The problem disappeared a few days ago. I think the ISP replaced the
    bad modem.

    It's quiet. I prefer to talk with a headset, which means I would
    probably notice intermittent noise.

    There's no jack, but uning the wires allows me to check voltage and
    current from the phone company as well as resistance and leakage of my
    own wiring.

    I wish I had a spare 56k modem. Mine is the obsolete kind that plugs
    into a serial port. As redialing would get me a good connection, I
    didn't hunt for my 28k modem.

    Thanks.
    Homer Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Homer Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    In article <supernews.com>,
    comm says... [/ref]

    As your BIL is not so capable as you he may be better off with a wireless
    phone jack system.

    Ah gardening!

     [/ref]

    sugar..... you got it!

    It's always bad news when you're last in the queue and get the left
    overs.
    Don't upset your ISP or they may keep that bad one just for you!
    Glad you got sorted Homer.
    Minnie
    Minnie Guest