Professional Web Applications Themes

BAD NEWS WITH VISTA/DIRECTOR - Macromedia Director 3D

[q] Originally posted by: cratica the only option available is software when using "putrenderingservices()renderedeviceList" on my system as well. [/q] it surprises, that you get anything other than a script error from that line. :-P [q] Originally posted by: cratica I can force it to directx7 from within the movie property panel but as I posted earlier, the system comes to it's knees AND strange things happen to the polys. Some objects do not draw at all while others don't draw with textures, stretched polys, pretty much a mess. A mess at about 1/2 frame per second. This stinks, we ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: BAD NEWS WITH VISTA/DIRECTOR

    [q]Originally posted by: cratica
    the only option available is software when using
    "putrenderingservices()renderedeviceList" on my system as well.
    [/q]

    it surprises, that you get anything other than a script error from that line.
    :-P

    [q]Originally posted by: cratica
    I can force it to directx7 from within the movie property panel but as I
    posted earlier, the system comes to it's knees AND strange things happen to the
    polys. Some objects do not draw at all while others don't draw with textures,
    stretched polys, pretty much a mess. A mess at about 1/2 frame per second.

    This stinks, we have to have a solution ADOBE!!

    I still have not heard back from support on this issue. Will keep everyone
    posted.[/q]

    just out of interest have you tried the newest version of shockwave ?
    they just released version 10.1.4.020 some days ago.

    does that change anything to the better ?

    a?ex Guest

  2. #22

    Oh, and running that same benchmark file using the OpenGL renderer, not so
    good: ~190 fps. Same results in IE and Firefox.

    "shandar" <com> wrote in message

    shandar Guest

  3. #23

    "a?ex" <com> wrote in message

    Yes

    No

    shandar Guest

  4. #24

    It's been 2 1/2 days since my inquiry to customer service/support and I have
    heard ZERO from them. They state on their website when you fill the form out
    that I would be contacted within 24 hours.

    So I guess once you pay them $1200 big ones for their software, they turn a
    deaf ear? Where is ADOBE support at? Should it take 2 1/2 days to provide an
    answer?

    I will continue to keep people updated.

    cratica Guest

  5. #25

    "cratica" <rr.com> wrote in message

    Hmmm that's not good enough is it?

    I am trying to see if my contacts at shockwave.com can get an answer from
    them any quicker. I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

    Richard Smith

    Richard Guest

  6. #26

    My partner evaluates a copy of the new release of discreet 3dsmax9. Guess
    what, doesn't have a w3d exporter, from one version (8) to the next one (9)
    they removed the exporter plugin. Further explanations from discreet point to
    an incompatibility issue, "that will be solved in the next service pack
    (3dsmax)".

    I donīt understand something, who provides the APIS, compression algorithms,
    formats, data model for the exporter works?. The exporter used since 3dsmax6 to
    8 was the same, what about now?. About this topic and other issues related to
    this, i think there is two possibilities:

    1)People from adobe are working in a new plugin, obviously more powerful and
    according to the new capabilities of the new sw3d engine (which we donīt know
    nothing). This plugin will allow us to export more rich 3d content (pixel
    shaders, rt shadows, bump, procedural textures, etc. And this 3d content will
    be scriptable with new 3d lingo (maybe 2.0?) and finally this content will be
    rendered with DX3D10 in WV.

    2)People from adobe are sleeping.

    ensamblador Guest

  7. #27

    Hi again,

    Would the people who gave feedback about shockwave3D on Vista be kind enough
    to indicate whether they are using the 32Bit or 64Bit versions of both Vista
    and IE. (from what I've read you can use a 32bit IE on 64bit Vista to avoid
    plugin issues, can anyone confirm????)

    Especially Shadar, as the only member so far who has no performance hit.

    This may help to show up any patterns. Thanks!

    Richard Smith

    Richard Guest

  8. #28

    "Richard" <com> wrote

    32 bit version of Vista.

    I just installed the latest ATI Catalyst driver, released yesterday (2/21).
    OpenGL performance is much better - frame rates are around 85% of DirectX7
    frame rates. Director is still only detecting the software renderer, though.

    shandar Guest

  9. #29

    32 bit version here as well. I'm sticking with 32-bit since my understanding
    is that there are even more issues with the 64 bit version.

    Shadar does have a performance hit, so it does effect everyone. He indicated
    that his computer as well only supports software shader. Sure, if someone is
    moving one sprite across the screen and they are getting 100fps, it wouldn['t
    matter if they run software or hardware. For those of us using a lof of 3D or
    even a lot of 2d sprite movement, the hit is HUGE. Plus, software rendering
    will not render many things properly as there is no z-buffer.

    ADOBE???????

    cratica Guest

  10. #30

    Yep, don't worry, I realize nobody has it working properly on Vista, I
    passed all that on via shockwave.com. So 64bit is definitely not the causal
    factor anyway.

    By the way, appologies for the typo with Shandar's user name.

    Richard Smith

    Richard Guest

  11. #31

    Hi,

    I am the product manager for Director and Shockwave at Adobe. We are very much
    aware of this issue, and have a two-step plan to address the performance issue
    on Vista.

    1. In the very short term, we will release a Vista-compliant version of the
    Shockwave player, which will force the movie to use DirectX 7. While the
    performance is still likely to be poorer than on XP, it will be better than
    what you see today (with software rendering).

    2. With the next release of Director, we plan to move to DirectX 9.x.

    I appreciate the problems developers are facing, and assure you that the team
    is working very hard to fix these performance issues.

    -Ritesh

    Ritesh Guest

  12. #32

    Thanks Ritesh for sharing that information directly with us.

    Could you indicate when the next version of Director is due (rather than the
    vague second half of 2007 on the website) as we really need to know when the
    performance issue will be fixed on Vista to satisfy client expectations.

    Can you say if the DirectX9.x based 3D engine will be a straight port of the
    existing feature set, or will it add functionality like hardware T&L or
    pixel shaders?

    Also will it fix the various z buffer issues with alpha mapped polys or
    allow the .w3D format to retain multiple UV maps for pain free light
    mapping?

    Thank you for your time

    Richard Smith

    Richard Guest

  13. #33

    Careful there, Richard. You might scare him off. 8)

    Well, I just installed Win XP on my Vista machine - too many compatibility
    problems with Vista. In an earlier post, I listed frame rates for a
    benchmark shockwave 3d file. With Vista, I was getting 780 fps under DX7.
    With XP, I'm getting 800 fps. The ATI driver is the same version.

    shandar Guest

  14. #34

    > Careful there, Richard. You might scare him off. 8)

    Worth a try though eh? ;)

    Richard

    Richard Guest

  15. #35

    > Worth a try though eh? ;)

    Ooh, he's gone.

    It was rather exciting while it lasted, though. Like seeing Halley's Comet,
    or watching one of those flowers that blooms once every 97 years.

    shandar Guest

  16. #36

    Damn, it was that question about alpha maps wasn't it? I feel so responsible
    for ruining our one single point of contact, like a message from another
    planet, and I just jogged the receiver dish.

    At least we can say 'we were there'. Maybe I should get some T-shirts
    printed.

    Cheers ;)

    Richard

    Richard Guest

  17. #37

    Still here, guys. I cannot give an exact release date for the next version, but
    it will likely be towards the end of the year rather than the middle. The
    Shockwave Vista release (with DirectX 7) will be out sooner - in 6 weeks or so.

    We will NOT upgrade the 3D feature set in the forthcoming Director release.
    Requirements like new platform support, performance and text engine
    enhancements are very urgent, and we don't want to delay this release beyond
    2007. However, we are committed to maintaining Shockwave as the leading 3D
    format on the web, and you WILL see 3D enhancements in a subsequent release.
    The move to DirectX 9 is a signal of our long term commitment to Shockwave 3D.

    I know this is not the answer many of you are looking for. I appreciate your
    patience, and hope to keep the channels of communications open!

    -Ritesh
    com

    Ritesh Guest

  18. #38

    Hi Ritesh,

    Wow, thanks for the further info! That is genuinely useful in terms of
    managing client expectations, and the first concrete info I've seen about
    new 3D features, even if they are two versions away. The fact that the
    engine is being updated at all is superb news.

    Thanks for taking the time to communicate with us from Planet Adobe.

    Looks like the dish is still working, even after I kicked it.

    Cheers

    Richard Smith

    Richard Guest

  19. #39

    Look at Ritesh, going all chatty on us! :)

    So what do you think of Director?

    shandar Guest

  20. #40

    "Richard" wrote in message