Professional Web Applications Themes

BAD NEWS WITH VISTA/DIRECTOR - Macromedia Director 3D

[q] Originally posted by: Ritesh Banglani Still here, guys. I cannot give an exact release date for the next version, but it will likely be towards the end of the year rather than the middle. The Shockwave Vista release (with DirectX 7) will be out sooner - in 6 weeks or so. We will NOT upgrade the 3D feature set in the forthcoming Director release. Requirements like new platform support, performance and text engine enhancements are very urgent, and we don't want to delay this release beyond 2007. However, we are committed to maintaining Shockwave as the leading 3D format ...

  1. #41

    Default Re: BAD NEWS WITH VISTA/DIRECTOR

    [q]Originally posted by: Ritesh Banglani
    Still here, guys. I cannot give an exact release date for the next version,
    but it will likely be towards the end of the year rather than the middle. The
    Shockwave Vista release (with DirectX 7) will be out sooner - in 6 weeks or so.

    We will NOT upgrade the 3D feature set in the forthcoming Director release.
    Requirements like new platform support, performance and text engine
    enhancements are very urgent, and we don't want to delay this release beyond
    2007. However, we are committed to maintaining Shockwave as the leading 3D
    format on the web, and you WILL see 3D enhancements in a subsequent release.
    The move to DirectX 9 is a signal of our long term commitment to Shockwave
    3D.[/q]

    Is the move to directX9 an upgrade to the 3D feature set, which will "NOT
    happen in the next release of director" (D11) or is it part of the "new
    platform support", which is scheduled for D11 ?

    In your first posting it seemed to me, that the directX 9 port will be part of
    the next release (D11)
    reading your second posting I am unsure about when we'll see directX9 support.
    wouldn't directX9 support mean a HUGE feature set enhancement.

    zzzorro Guest

  2. #42

    Sorry if I was not clear. The move to DirectX 9 is scheduled for the year-end release.
    Ritesh Guest

  3. #43

    [q]Originally posted by: Ritesh Banglani
    The move to DirectX 9 is scheduled for the year-end release.[/q]

    Fair enough.
    I don't think Windows Vista is a viable option until its first Service Pack.
    And the Vista SP1 is scheduled in the second half of this year ...

    Meanwhile you have to solve the completely wrong lighting on DirectX
    7
    in case of the latest NVIDIA drivers (and Vcards).
    Also, there're many other bugs related to SW 10.1.4.20 but I'm sure you
    already have them on your "to do" list.

    cheers

    necromanthus Guest

  4. #44

    Hi Shandar,

    Adobe post double bill! Unheard of... never before seen... etc...

    It is liberating, and supremely easy to use (especially compared to my many
    failed attempts to use the mess of WinAPI C++and DirectX), and yet, the 3D
    engine is also restricting and feels so dated with a lot of frustrating bugs
    that make some features unusable. Overall, I am a big fan, and would hate to
    see it die out. Luckily Ritesh has made me relax about it's long term future
    at least.

    Are you a game maker too? I'm based in the UK by the way.

    Cheers

    Richard

    Richard Guest

  5. #45

    Yes please, bug fixes before features!!!

    Hi Necro, telling it how it is as ever... :)

    Richard

    Richard Guest

  6. #46

    [q]Originally posted by: Ritesh Banglani
    Sorry if I was not clear. The move to DirectX 9 is scheduled for the year-end
    release.[/q]

    Well, I think this is very good news. Even if there are no feature
    enhancements, I imagine using a DirectX 9 renderer will greatly improve
    performance over DX 7, and maybe fix a few bugs along the way. Please just make
    sure it works so we don't have to issue endless caveats to customers...

    Random feature request: How difficult is it to enable get/set for hardware
    settings? #hardwareAntialiasing [#2x, #4x, #8xS...] or #anistropicFiltering
    [#2x, #4x...] or #stereoEnabled TRUE FALSE or (my favorite) #verticalSync TRUE
    FALSE...

    Ted

    tedalde2 Guest

  7. #47

    Ritesh, concerning the following from the FAQ:

    "Some of the features being planned include multiuser support..."

    Does this mean a revamped/reintroduced MultiUser Server and Xtra?

    Thanks!

    Lorax

    Lorax2003 Guest

  8. #48

    I don?t thik so, maybe a client implementation of DirectPlay.

    ensamblador Guest

  9. #49

    I dont understand why everyone is waiting for director when there is other web
    based real time 3d software, that is up to date with everything thats being
    listed on the forum, already implemented. companies and authors are not waiting
    for director, you can always come back to director or use other software in
    conjunction with it. but director may not ever be as up to date or as
    competitive as other real time programs currently out. currently it has to
    catch up, until that point why not use other software. you have anark, dx
    studio , strata, each of these is getting it done and they come out with
    upgrades on a regular basis

    tyree_2 Guest

  10. #50

    Hi Tyree_2,

    If we are seasoned Director developers familiar with the software, wanting
    CD ROM .exe and/or Web based releases on PC and Mac with a huge user plugin
    base, why should it be unreasonable to look forward to our software being
    updated?

    Cheers

    Richard Smith
    www.funpods.com
    www.shockwave.com

    Richard Guest

  11. #51

    anark, dx studio , strata?

    would you point me an url to see that please?
    ensamblador Guest

  12. #52

    www.google.com
    Mike Guest

  13. #53

    [q]Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

    www.google.com
    [/q]

    would you mind to give me the search string?

    ensamblador Guest

  14. #54

    At the risk of sounding crass...

    To look up 'Anark' for instance, you would go to www.google.com and type
    in "anark".

    To look up strata, you would type in "strata"

    To look up dx studio, try "dx studio".

    In each of these cases, the 1st thing that comes up is the site of the
    manufacturer of the software in question.
    Mike Guest

  15. #55

    > www.google.com

    How about "anark" or "dx studio" or "strata" ;-)
    Sean Guest

  16. #56

    [q]Originally posted by: Sean Wilson
    How about "anark" or "dx studio" or "strata" ;-)[/q]
    [q]Originally posted by: Mike Blaustein
    To look up 'Anark' for instance, you would go to www.google.com and type
    in "anark".

    To look up strata, you would type in "strata"

    To look up dx studio, try "dx studio".[/q]

    Guys. ensamblador is NOT a moron!
    He was trying to say "how can you compare Director Shockwave (58-62% plugin
    popularity) with some apps unable to reach 5% ?"

    necromanthus Guest

  17. #57

    There are really a lot of 3D technologies on the market. It's not wrong to ask
    where to find examples on the web that are not only existing on the products
    homepage.

    Let me say a few things about the mentioned 3D technologies:
    _anark:
    Online/Offline:
    Windows only, InternetExplorer only

    Seems to be the choice when you only have to deliver products in "Windows
    only" world. I think a lot of clients could use this to develop simulations for
    inhouse presentations. At the moment i have no idea how much you have to pay
    for it, but i have the feeling it is a bit more expensive then director.

    _Strata:
    Online, Java3D

    Seems to be the perfect solution when you want to rotate products on a
    webpage, pdf or flash (not sure how it works with flash...)

    _dx studio:
    online/offline:
    Windows only (directx9), InternetExplorer only

    Seems to be interesting, but not for developing 3D online content.

    -----

    Is there something comparable to director and shockwave3D out there at the
    moment - no.

    I would like to see the Havok-Xtra and the Multiuser-Xtra back in place. There
    was something about Multiuser comming back in the FAQ, but nothing about Havok
    :(

    hondo3000 Guest

  18. #58

    I think its good that Adobe will fix this sometime but its bad that they havent
    released a working version when Vista was released.

    Another bad thing is how Adobe (and Macromedia before that) has a very bad
    customer relation.
    When you post a Bug to them you dont hear from them. Its like they dont care.
    Why cant they have a open conversation with all developers out here and ask
    us what we want. I think we know whats needed for a good release and only we
    know what we wants!

    I work with Director making games nine hours a day and i know all the bad
    thinks with director and i would be very happy to tell them if they only
    listened.

    I say open a Director/shockwave forum for bugs and feat.req. and let the
    developers talk to us.

    ADOBE MAKE US HAPPY!

    the Guest

  19. #59

    The response by Adobe is completely unacceptable. Windows Vista has been out
    for over 2 years now in some form or another with the Microsoft Developer
    Network. For them to say they will support Vista nearly a year AFTER it's
    public release and approximately 3 years after it's alpha release is completely
    unacceptable.

    Adobe, put some resources on this now and get us a patch that supports Vista
    please. Show us that we (Director user base) are a reasonable priority and not
    a last priority. We shouldn't even have to ask for this, it should have
    already been available imho.

    cratica Guest

  20. #60

    Hi all,

    I tried one of my projects on a Laptop with windows vista, and i must say,
    that I had a maximum of 25 FPS, on the same laptop with windows vista i had
    aprox. 90 FPS, i tried all renderer : Sofrware, openGL , directX5 and directX7
    and it worked best with directX5, aprox 25 FPS, the other renderer i had no
    more then 10 FPS.
    It's very sad.

    Daniel.

    danieloizo Guest