Professional Web Applications Themes

BAD NEWS WITH VISTA/DIRECTOR - Macromedia Director 3D

First off let me say I'm VERY unimpressed with Microsoft. What a stinking pile Vista is. Many, many install issues. As far as Director is concerned, it does run but runs very slow. The app I'm created has a lot of moving text sprites on the screen with a 3D window up above. Currently, in authoring or runtime, the game is not playable any longer. Far too slow. On XP I was getting 30+ fps, and now am getting 3-5fps. Even some of the 2d screen fades are slow. Furthermore, my 3D scene is garbled with lots of z-sorting errors. ...

  1. #1

    Default BAD NEWS WITH VISTA/DIRECTOR

    First off let me say I'm VERY unimpressed with Microsoft. What a stinking pile
    Vista is. Many, many install issues.

    As far as Director is concerned, it does run but runs very slow. The app I'm
    created has a lot of moving text sprites on the screen with a 3D window up
    above. Currently, in authoring or runtime, the game is not playable any
    longer. Far too slow. On XP I was getting 30+ fps, and now am getting 3-5fps.
    Even some of the 2d screen fades are slow.

    Furthermore, my 3D scene is garbled with lots of z-sorting errors. (polys
    fighting to be drawn regardless of their distance to the camera). It looks
    like a mess.

    Seems like a video driver problem for the most part, although my hard disk is
    constantly chugging which is really annoying.

    My system. Dell Dimension 9100 with 2GB RAM, 3GHZ Intel dual core, Nvidia
    7800GT video, etc...

    Most of this post is information but I do have a question. Any other people
    have this massive slow down with their director apps? Any one else have
    z-sorting errors in their 3D models that were not there before VIsta?

    Any thoughts on fixing these problems?

    cratica Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: BAD NEWS WITH VISTA/DIRECTOR

    I've unfortunately determined what the problem is. Director MX2004 with the
    latest update does not support hardware rendering because it doesn't support
    anything greater than DirectX 7.0 apparently. Windows Vista doesn't support
    DirectX 7.0. I tried to force the renderer to use DirectX 7.0 under Vista and
    it was not pretty. 1 fps and nothing drew properly.

    The only supported renderer right now is #software. That explains the
    z-sorting errors and the slow frame rate I was getting.

    So.... I'm in a world of hurt. I upgraded my development system to Vista
    only to find out that Director MX's 3D "engine" does not currently support
    Vista.

    Does anyone know when a patch will be released to make Director MX directX
    9/Vista compatible?

    I'm in a bad situation now as I have a demo of our product due out next week
    and development has been ground to a halt because of this. Any help would be
    appreciated. Apple, u listening????

    cratica Guest

  3. #3

    I figure we'll just have to wait until Adobe releases version 11 for the fix:

    http://www.adobe.com/products/director/special/crossproduct/faq.html
    mockworld Guest

  4. #4

    If Apple waits until a new version (more $$ and 6 more months) then they will lose me as a customer. They simply need to provide a patch that lets us use directX capabilities on Vista.
    cratica Guest

  5. #5

    Besides this also means that the shockwave 3D viewer also only supports
    software on Vista. There are hundreds of thousands of people this will effect.

    I'm looking at the Shockwave 3D viewer utility right now and only let's me use
    a software renderer, so it's not just Director that needs patching.

    cratica Guest

  6. #6

    I'm just going to change my code to detect either #directx7_0 or #opengl. It's
    something that should be done in any project anyway. If neither is present,
    then shunt the user to a screen that says "Program won't run... here's probable
    reasons... Windows Vista... multiple monitors..." etc. "Go find a friend with
    XP or a Macintosh..."

    Looks like that's all you can do.

    tedalde2 Guest

  7. #7

    Wow, this is staggeringly bad news...

    I had no idea this might be the case (I'm still just running XP).

    Can you tell us if director's 2D performance is affected under Vista please?

    Thanks

    Richard Smith
    www.funpods.com

    Richard Guest

  8. #8

    Yes, this is incredibly bad news.

    Unfortunately "Go find a friend with XP or a mac" is not sufficient in the
    professional world.

    We need to get a fix for this ASAP Apple.

    Richard, Directdraw (2D) is also part of DirectX so everything is effected.
    2D is not nearly as effected as 3D however.

    cratica Guest

  9. #9

    Cheers for the update on the 2D, I had hoped shockwave used it's own sprite
    engine that didn't rely on DirectX.

    Director 11 is pencilled for second half of 07 according to Adobe's site.

    Surely they wouldn't release a version of Director where the 3D Xtra can't
    run on Vista? But even if they do fix it, that's an awful long wait where
    anyone with a new PC can't play our games. :(

    Thanks for alerting us.

    Richard Smith

    Richard Guest

  10. #10

    Yes this is very very bad news....

    In this link
    http://www.adobe.com/products/director/special/crossproduct/faq.html it says
    that next major release will assumed to be in second half of 2007 and there
    is nothing mentioning about 3d enhancements.

    I was 27 years old when we first start to write our wishes about shockwave3d
    engine in this forum and now I'm 33 .

    Adobe please do something about this old 3D engine....

    Ege Karaosmano?gu
    www.shockland.com

    shockland.com Guest

  11. #11

    Yes, this initially seems like a very bad thing indeed, but there could be a
    silver lining here. This may be the impetus Adobe needs to make Shockwave
    DirectX 9.x compatible. We may finally get some vertex and pixel shaders and if
    the Z-sorting errors cratica writes of are endemic to the Shockwave/Vista
    environment, then maybe Adobe will give Shockwave a decent Z-buffer and solve
    some of the transparency and decal issues. HELLO ADOBE...!!! ARE YOU
    LISTENING??!!

    Grampa Guest

  12. #12

    What I don't understand is this. Director 2004 has been out a couple of years,
    yet it only supports ancient DirectX7? They have had MORE than enough time to
    get this product up to speed with say, DirectX8 or 9. (both of which I believe
    Vista is backwards compatible with). My point is, if Adobe(Macromedia) had
    been paying any attention to the product, this would be a non-issue.

    I'm far less concerned with asking for additional features and enhancements as
    I am with getting this thing to work with Vista period.

    HELP ADOBE HELP

    cratica Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks to Cratica for raising this issue.

    Is this problem inherent in .exe's, as I distribute all of my content (2d and 3d) on CD's.
    Nickname Guest

  14. #14

    It appears the problem would show with any Director 3D using the #directx7_0
    renderer playing on Vista. It would show in all runtime environments,
    Authoring, Projector, or Shockwave.

    I don't have Vista and can't test/see this yet. Can someone verify that OpenGL
    rendering still works with Vista? When testing for OpenGL, be sure you only
    have one display monitor enabled as Director will not show #opengl as an option
    otherwise.

    tedalde2 Guest

  15. #15

    "tedalde2" <com> wrote in message

    Doesn't look like it.

    Dell Dimension 9200
    Vista Business
    ATI X1300
    One monitor

    put getRendererServices().rendererDeviceList
    -- [#software]

    shandar Guest

  16. #16

    Yikes. A bad situation is worse. No openGL, no directx.

    What about it, Adobe?
    tedalde2 Guest

  17. #17

    the only option available is software when using
    "putrenderingservices()renderedeviceList" on my system as well.

    I can force it to directx7 from within the movie property panel but as I
    posted earlier, the system comes to it's knees AND strange things happen to the
    polys. Some objects do not draw at all while others don't draw with textures,
    stretched polys, pretty much a mess. A mess at about 1/2 frame per second.

    This stinks, we have to have a solution ADOBE!!

    I still have not heard back from support on this issue. Will keep everyone
    posted.

    cratica Guest

  18. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    raschko Guest
    Moderated Post

  19. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    shandar Guest
    Moderated Post

  20. #20

    Hmm. Yeah, I can force the browser plugin to use DirectX7, but I'm not
    seeing any performance problem.

    I tested one of my benchmark shockwave files, and the frame rate increased
    from 108 fps (using the software renderer) to 760 fps.

    I do get a warning message, though, about the dangers of changing the 3D
    Renderer setting from Obey Content Settings. Whatever.

    "cratica" <rr.com> wrote in message

    shandar Guest

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast