Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default Bad Typesetting

    Now using CS. I have ed about this since 1.0 and it still is not
    fixed.

    When an em-dash or en-dash occurs in text -- like in this sentence,
    and the dash occurs at the end of the line, InDesign does its
    damnedest to move it to the start of the next line, even leaving a big
    empty space at the end of the line.

    Everyone knows that starting a line with an em-dash or an en-dash (for
    those who follow Bringhurst) is bad form. Why does InDesign continue
    to do this? I'm getting tired of having to scan through the doent
    manually do a manual No Break every time I see a dash in the left edge
    of the text block.

    --
    Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
    Marek Williams Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Bad Typesetting

    Marek Williams wrote:
    >When an em-dash or en-dash occurs in text -- like in this sentence,
    >and the dash occurs at the end of the line, InDesign does its
    >damnedest to move it to the start of the next line, even leaving a big
    >empty space at the end of the line.
    >
    >Everyone knows that starting a line with an em-dash or an en-dash (for
    >those who follow Bringhurst) is bad form. Why does InDesign continue
    >to do this? I'm getting tired of having to scan through the doent
    >manually do a manual No Break every time I see a dash in the left edge
    >of the text block.
    The problem is that you're using the em-dash incorrectly. A proper
    em-dash does NOT have a space before or after it. If you remove the
    spaces before and after your em-dash, you'll see that InDesign won't
    allow an em-dash to either end a line or begin it; it rearranges the
    layout so that the dash is surrounded by text on both sides.

    If, however, you insist on space/em-dash/space, instead of scanning
    the text visually and then manually entering your No Breaks, you can
    simply do this find-and-replace:

    Find what: ^_
    Change to: ^_^s

    This changes the space following your em-dash to a non-breaking space
    throughout your story or doent.

    ..:. Craig
    Craig Smith Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:03:28 GMT, Craig Smith <craig@smithcraft.org>
    dijo:
    >The problem is that you're using the em-dash incorrectly. A proper
    >em-dash does NOT have a space before or after it. If you remove the
    >spaces before and after your em-dash, you'll see that InDesign won't
    >allow an em-dash to either end a line or begin it; it rearranges the
    >layout so that the dash is surrounded by text on both sides.
    Well, actually, I use the en-dash, not the em-dash. And I follow
    Bringhurst 95% of the time, and he disagrees with you. I keep me copy
    on the shelf behind me, and he uses nothing but en-dash with spaces. I
    do realize that newspapers and magazines in the U.S. use the em-dash,
    not the en-dash, and leave out the spaces. But most books use spaces,
    and I do books, not magazines. And with the en-dash spaces definitely
    look better.

    And besides, it is clear that someone at Adobe deliberately programmed
    InDesign to move the en-dash to the next line whenever at all
    possible. That is just plain wrong.
    >If, however, you insist on space/em-dash/space, instead of scanning
    >the text visually and then manually entering your No Breaks, you can
    >simply do this find-and-replace:
    >
    >Find what: ^_
    >Change to: ^_^s
    >
    >This changes the space following your em-dash to a non-breaking space
    >throughout your story or doent.
    Ah! Had to change it for the en-dash, and you had the ^s at the end
    when it needed to be at the front, but after figuring it out, it works
    great. Thanks for the idea!