    Removed by Administrator
    Bob Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    Default Re: Base Station Setup

    In article <cac.cpqcorp.net>,
    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    My original Graphite base station can be setup via ethernet with the
    AirPort Admin Utility; I assume that later models retain this capability.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    Bob Harris wrote:

    > Resetting the base station generally involves pressing the reset button
    > (this may be a paperclip sized hole) and then plugging in the power
    > cable while holding in the reset button.[/ref]

    I found the hole. The setup instructions say to do some other stuff
    first, like set up the TCP/IP control panel first.

    Maybe I'll just try sticking a paperclip in the hole.

    Hello, Bob,

    I really appreciate your help. I feel encouraged, and know more than I
    did before.

    I'm still stuck on a basic question though.

    Why don't I see the "airport" item on the "Connect via:" popup botton on
    my TCP/IP control panel?

    Do you mean to say that item won't appear until the base station senses
    a remote machine with an airport card?

    Anyone else? Please feel free to jump in.

    Cheers,

    Tim
    (different screen name, still me)

    Timothy Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    Because a non AirPort equipped computer won't be connection via Airport;
    it will be connecting via Ethernet. It will, in fact connect to the
    AirPort base station which will then connect to the internet by whatever
    means you specified when configuring the base station.

    No, the item won't appear until an AirPort card is installed in the
    computer, whether or not there's a base station in the vicinity.

  6. #6

    Tom Stiller wrote: [/ref]
    senses

    > No, the item won't appear until an AirPort card is installed in the
    > computer, whether or not there's a base station in the vicinity.
    >[/ref]

    I'm almost there, but I'm not getting it.

    My laptop did pick up a signal from the base station. I found out that
    the default password for the base station is "guest." I have reset the
    base station.

    Now, when I plug in the cables and try to run "airport admin utility"
    the base station tries to connect to my ISP. That's a good sign.

    I have a dialup and a DSL. If I set up the dialup, the base station
    dials the right phone number, but it isn't getting a dial tone. I
    can't find "airport base station dialup modem" in the "modem" control
    panel. (Maybe I shoulda left the dialup phone line plugged into the
    machine, instead of the base station.)

    I think I'm configuring the TCP/IP control panel right, but I'm not
    sure.

    If I try the DSL remote access setup, the base station senses it's a
    PPoE DSL connection, and seems to be getting all the right connection
    data, but it reports it can't get a dsl carrier signal.

    Presumably the base station isn't configured correctly.

    When I try to run "airport setup assistant" on the machine the base
    station is plugged into, it refuses to run. It can't find the right
    hardware. It appears to be looking for an airport card. It's
    apparently only intended for the remote machine.

    I've tried to run airport setup assistant from the remote machine. It
    won't accept any password, and suggests I need to configure my base
    station.

    If I try to run "airport admin utility" from the remote machine, it
    goes thru the same futile attempts to connect to my ISP.

    Time is money. I'm stressin. I've got tons of other totally important
    stuff to do. This thing has gotta start working pretty soon.

    I'm ready to pay somebody a reasonable hourly consultation rate (one
    hour minimum) to walk me thru this over the phone. I'll pay you by
    paypal, or send you a cashier's check, or something.

    Who's interested?

    Meanwhile, if my problem is obvious, please speak up. I feel like I'm
    becoming a pest, though.

    The original Murphy's law was "If there is a right way and a wrong way
    to do something, it's only a matter of time before someone will do it
    the wrong way."

    Call me Murphy.

    Thanks,

    Tim Miller
    Timothy Guest

  7. #7

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > My original Graphite base station can be setup via ethernet with the
    > AirPort Admin Utility; I assume that later models retain this capability.[/ref]

    I agree that the current firmware does allow ethernet configuration. I
    too have a graphite Airport base station as well as an Airport Extreme
    base station.

    But I seem to recall that when I first got the graphite at Christmas
    2000, I had to use my Pismo to configure it. Along the way, there were
    several rounds of firmware updates, and I think along the way, it got
    ethernet configurability.

    But that is 3 years ago, and I have difficulty remembering what I had
    for lunch, let alone the specifics of configuring my graphite Airport
    Base Station 3 years ago :-)

    Now the original post has a "Snow" Airport base station, and I don't
    know if it was released with ethernet configurability or if it too
    needed a firmware update to allow ethernet configurablity.

    The only reason I mentioned it was just in case some of the original
    posts problems were a requirement for an Airport equiped Mac.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>,
    Timothy Miller <com> wrote:

    > > Resetting the base station generally involves pressing the reset button
    > > (this may be a paperclip sized hole) and then plugging in the power
    > > cable while holding in the reset button.[/ref]
    >
    > I found the hole. The setup instructions say to do some other stuff
    > first, like set up the TCP/IP control panel first.
    >
    > Maybe I'll just try sticking a paperclip in the hole.

    > Hello, Bob,
    >
    > I really appreciate your help. I feel encouraged, and know more than I
    > did before.
    >
    > I'm still stuck on a basic question though.
    >
    > Why don't I see the "airport" item on the "Connect via:" popup botton on
    > my TCP/IP control panel?[/ref]

    Terminology confusion. As someone else has mentioned, your ethernet
    connected G4 would have TCP/IP set in the "Connect via:" popup.

    Your Pismo, (assuming you have installed an Airport card under the
    keyboard), is the one that would have the ability to "Connect via:
    Airport".

    Since the Airport base station is a router. If it is setup correctly,
    it will offer DHCP and NAT services to your G4 and Pismo.

    Than means you should select DHCP as the way to get your IP address.

    I am unsure whether the Snow Airport base station would allow it to be
    configured via the Airport Admin Utility from a Mac connected via
    ethernet (your G4), or if it required a Mac with an Airport card (your
    Pismo).

    But if you launch the Airport Admin Utility, if the Mac (G4 or Pismo)
    can see your Airport base station, then it will display the base
    stations it sees and hopefully either your G4 or Pismo will allow you to
    configure the base station.

    Setting up your Airport base station via Airport Admin Utility should
    allow you to make the following settings:

    Under the Airport Tab: You can give your base station a name
    you can give your base station an admin password
    you can give your base station an Airport Network name (SSID)
    you can specify a closed network (does not advertise net name)
    you can specify a WEP password (use no WEP password for testing)
    Add WEP password after you have everything working
    your Pismo would be the one that would have to use
    a WEP password to connect to the wireless network
    you can choose a channel, or let the base station choose
    Under the internet tab:
    Choose your internet connection method
    PPPoE if you connect your WAN (WLAN) port to your
    DSL modem
    Modem if you are connecting via the phone line
    depending on the connection method, the rest of the fields will
    change. For PPPoE, you will have a field for your DSL account
    name, and pasword.

    If your ISP has given your DNS name server IP addresses, you can
    enter them on this tab as well.
    Under the network tab:
    you can setup the DHCP server (Distribute IP Addresses)
    Share a single IP address (using DHCP and NAT)
    Ignore the Port Mapping Tab:
    Unless you have a web server on one of your Macs that you
    want to have visible on the internet, leave this tab alone
    Access Control tab:
    If you want to restrict the use of the Airport base station
    to specific Macs, you can enter the ethernet MAC address or the
    Airport MAC addresses in this tab. A MAC address is a hardware
    address that looks something like: 01:23:45:67:89:ab
    I would leave this alone until after you have things working the
    the way you want it. And only set this if you are concerned your
    neighbors or someone in the parking lot are going to use your
    network for free.

    Everything about setting up the Airport Base Station is done via the
    Airport Admin Utility.

    The TCP/IP control panel and the Modem Control panel are only used to
    setup specific network features on your individual Macs. Since you are
    going to be letting the Airport base station handle connecting to the
    internet, you will not need the Modem control panel.

    The TCP/IP control panel should be set to Ethernet for the G4 and
    Airport for the Pismo. Both the G4 and Pismo TCP/IP control panels
    should specify DHCP as the way to get your IP address.

    Once you get everything working, your TCP/IP control panel should show
    the IP address you were assigned by DHCP (most likely 10.0.1.2,
    10.0.1.3, or something along those lines.

    Your router should be 10.0.1.1.

    The DHCP setup should also automatically provide the DNS server IP
    addresses. If they are not shown in the TCP/IP control panel at the
    same time the 10.0.1.1 router address shows up, then you can manually
    enter them from what your ISP specified.

    I can't think of anything else at the moment.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    In article <cac.cpqcorp.net>,
    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    > > My original Graphite base station can be setup via ethernet with the
    > > AirPort Admin Utility; I assume that later models retain this capability.[/ref]
    >
    > I agree that the current firmware does allow ethernet configuration. I
    > too have a graphite Airport base station as well as an Airport Extreme
    > base station.
    >
    > But I seem to recall that when I first got the graphite at Christmas
    > 2000, I had to use my Pismo to configure it. Along the way, there were
    > several rounds of firmware updates, and I think along the way, it got
    > ethernet configurability.[/ref]

    Your experience is different from mine. When I bought my wife's iBook,
    Airport card, and(Graphite) base station, the AirPort card was
    backordered. I set up the base station using mu ethernet connected
    PPC4400 so that when the card arrived, all I had to do was install it
    and she was on the air.

    I set up my daughter's Graphite base station the same way since it was
    used in an Ethernet only, dial-up network with one iMac and two PCs.
    That station never saw a wireless connection until she replaced her
    333MHz iMac with an iBook.

    I don't know either; I still have only the Graphite base station

  10. #10

    Timothy Miller wrote:

    --snip--

    Hey, I'm serious about paying a professional fee for a consultation, for
    someone to walk me through this setup process over the telephone. I'll
    pay for an hour minimum even if it takes five minutes. I'll pay in advance.

    Anyone?

    If not, where does one obtain for-free assistance for stuff like this?
    Does Apple do it for a dollar a minute or whatever?

    If you want to reply privately, don't use my address.

    reply to... hmmm... must fool spammers...

    tDEATHmillerTO at ALLlodinetdotSPAMMERScom

    I think that can be unencrypted wtithout too much difficulty. Remove the
    spacess, the capital letters, replace "at" with the symbol and "dot"
    with the dot symbol.

    Thanks.

    Tim Miller

    Timothy Guest