Professional Web Applications Themes

Bash script for full install - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Has anyone already created a bash script to install Linux, many other apps (X, Gnome, Mozilla, OpenOffice...) and all config files (AntiAliasing config, TrueType fonts, etc...) automatically? I need to install Linux on several computers that have exactly the same hardware. I want to elaborate a bash script to run and install everything needed during the night, and the day after, the PCs are all set and ready for use, otherwise it would be very time and effort-consuming... Any experience doing this? Thanks, -- Charles. Fatal error for /usr/bin/laden...

  1. #1

    Default Bash script for full install

    --

    Charles.

    Fatal error for /usr/bin/laden

    Charles Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Bash script for full install

    Charles wrote:

    How about making one installation by hand and duplicating it
    with mondo <http://www.mondorescue.com/>?

    HTH

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio iki fi

    Tauno Guest

  3. #3

    "Tauno Voipio" <fi.NOSPAM.invalid> escreveu na mensagem
    : How about making one installation by hand and duplicating it
    : with mondo <http://www.mondorescue.com/>?

    Good idea, I didn't know about this system. I could also dd the original HDD, but still, it would be
    better to have a customizable script where you only have to change for instance refresh rate and so
    forth, the next time I am in the same situation (several similar architectures). Moreover, this
    would prevent me from spending time on the 1st computer to install...

  4. #4

    Charles <com> wrote:

    If you're installing Slackware, my script
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=bop1nb$1fm23u$news.uni-berlin.de
    will install totally non-interactively. What you get in the end is the
    same "fresh" system that you would get by installing from CD manually
    and going through all the dialog menus.

    If it's different distro, then install on one machine, and then copy
    over the net.

    --
    William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <ca>
    William Guest

  5. #5

    If you duplicate or image the disk, you probably needc to be sure that your
    machines are virtually identical - ie the same Hardware Abstraction Layer
    (HAL). My knowledge of this is in a Windows environment but I think it
    still holds true.

    I reckon that differences like disk drives and video would probably be
    picked up through kudzu, as long as the OS can access the installation
    files it needs - perhaps over a network or packaged onto the installation
    CD as I think you want to do.

    Cheers
    Mike
    Mike Guest