Professional Web Applications Themes

Basic newbie question (should not take long to answer) - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am ver new to linux (coming from a Windows world). The basic question that I have is that I am quickly noticing the differences with windows vs linux. The issue that currently has me stumped is how to install simple programs. Can someone walk me through the process (step by step) on how to install downloaded software (for example, I just downloaded Opera and Mozilla and I have the files sitting on my computer and I do not know what to do next) Again, I stress the fact that I am a newbie which means that I kindly ask ...

  1. #1

    Default Basic newbie question (should not take long to answer)

    I am ver new to linux (coming from a Windows world). The basic question that
    I have is that I am quickly noticing the differences with windows vs linux.
    The issue that currently has me stumped is how to install simple programs.
    Can someone walk me through the process (step by step) on how to install
    downloaded software (for example, I just downloaded Opera and Mozilla and I
    have the files sitting on my computer and I do not know what to do next)

    Again, I stress the fact that I am a newbie which means that I kindly ask if
    you would not foward me a web link that covers the information that I am
    requestion, but it is written for people who have some years of experience
    in linux.

    Again thank you for your help in this matter!

    dsterling1 Guest

  2. #2

    dsterling1 <com> wrote:

    that depends on your distro.

    on rpm based systems (suse, rh, mdk)

    as root in a shell type this:
    rpm -i opera_static-blah-version.rpm

    on debian:
    apt-get install opera-static or
    dpkg -i opera-static_blah_version.deb

    if you downloaded a .tgz or .tar.gz or .tbz2 or .tar.bz2 file

    use tar xvzf opera_static-blah-version.tgz or
    tar xvjf opera_static-blah-version.tbz2

    to extract the package to the current directory and look for a README on
    how to install it.

    for more specific help you must provide a more specific question :)

    hth, armin

    --

    my life, my universe, my everything
    http://www.dtch.org

    armin Guest

  3. #3

    dsterling1 wrote:

    You need to give a little more information since there are many
    Linux distro's available, some use RPM's while others use ".deb"
    or ".tgz" packages. So which distro are you running?

    Also there are different packages available. The ones ending with
    the extensions below would be source code and would have to be
    compiled before being used.

    "tar.gz" "tar.bz2" "src.rpm"

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

  4. #4

    David <net> wrote:

    not necessarily, i.e. opera also comes as tgz file but is binary.
    well, exceptions prove the rule :)

    rgds, armin

  5. #5

    dsterling1 wrote:

    Depends on which distro you've got. For example, if it's Red Hat or
    Mandrake, you've hopefully/probably downloaded some rpm files, and the
    installation is done using the rpm command in a terminal window. First
    you need to become root with the 'su' command.

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/130765

    Cloud Guest

  6. #6

    armin walland wrote:

    > not necessarily, i.e. opera also comes as tgz file but is binary.
    > well, exceptions prove the rule :)[/ref]

    I didn't see a ".tgz" in my list but I realize that it is
    compressed using the same tools as a "tar.gz" package though in
    most cases a ".tgz" would be binary.

  7. #7

    In article <wj_Jb.57976$xX.338400attbi_s02>, David wrote:

    Why would a file named with a .tgz extension contain a binary distribution
    of a program more probably than one with a .tar.gz extension? Aren't they
    quite meaningless after all? The only way to know is to look inside,
    methinks.

    --
    Juha Siltala
    http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala/

  8. #8

    Juha Siltala wrote:

    It doesn't determine between binary and source but you will find
    that the ".tgz" contains binary more often than source code. It
    all depends on what the person who made the package used to
    compress it. You could also compress "tar.bz2" using the same
    extension scheme ".tbz2" if you wanted to. You could probably
    make a "src.rpm" binary if you really wanted to.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.23 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    Uptime: 17 days, 5:42, 2 users, load average: 1.17, 1.13, 1.3
    David Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Richard Guest