Professional Web Applications Themes

Basic Questions - Adobe Indesign Windows

lallous <lallouslgwm.org> wrote: >Hello, >I have a list of basic questions and I hope someone can help me out. >1)Is there is a native simple hexviewer utility in SCO5 ? od -cx and hd >2)what is /dev/u Possibly nothing at all, probably where /u or some other is mounted. Type "mount" or "df -v" to see. >and why when I run mountall does the /home gets inhabited See /etc/defaults/filesys >3)what is the "Shift-PageUp" / "-PageDown" equivalent in SCO as in Linux >to scroll up to previous pages of text in console ? That's a function of the shell you are ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Basic questions

    lallous <lallouslgwm.org> wrote:
    >Hello,
    >I have a list of basic questions and I hope someone can help me out.
    >1)Is there is a native simple hexviewer utility in SCO5 ?
    od -cx and hd
    >2)what is /dev/u
    Possibly nothing at all, probably where /u or some other is mounted.
    Type "mount" or "df -v" to see.
    >and why when I run mountall does the /home gets inhabited
    See /etc/defaults/filesys
    >3)what is the "Shift-PageUp" / "-PageDown" equivalent in SCO as in Linux
    >to scroll up to previous pages of text in console ?
    That's a function of the shell you are using, not Unix.

    Though supposedly something in 5.0.7 is someday going to
    do something like that, see the part of
    [url]http://aplawrence.com/Reviews/osr507.html[/url] that talks about SCROLLSZ
    >4)how can I abort a program? CTRL+C is not working ?
    DELETE or change your interrupt. See the FAQ:
    [url]http://aplawrence.com/SCOFAQ/scotec6.html#delkey[/url]
    >5)how can I suspend a program? ctrl+z works in RedHat and I then type "bg"
    >to send to background
    Again, a function of the shell, not Unix or Linux. Use bash or Ksh.
    See [url]http://aplawrence.com/newtosco.html[/url] and go get bash from
    Skunkware.
    See [url]http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/gui.html[/url]

    >7)how can I increase the delay in the "boot" prompt ? it is currently 1
    >second.
    Edit /etc/default/boot

    See [url]http://aplawrence.com/Boot/[/url]

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]

    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  2. #2

    In article <bggqvp$7jf$2pcls4.std.com>, <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote:
    >lallous <lallouslgwm.org> wrote:
    >>Hello,
    >
    >>I have a list of basic questions and I hope someone can help me out.
    >>3)what is the "Shift-PageUp" / "-PageDown" equivalent in
    >>SCO as in Linux to scroll up to previous pages of text in
    >>console ?
    >That's a function of the shell you are using, not Unix.
    Just as a heads-up for those who use still other platforms -
    in FBSD - there is functionality for this built into the kernel.
    I set my SC_HISTORY_SIZE to 400. That permits me to scroll back
    16 screens using 'scroll-lock' and then page-up/page-down.

    Since it is at kernel level on the console screen you can scroll
    through all messages after the BIOS messages - eg everything
    generated from the point of 'boot:' through login.
    >Though supposedly something in 5.0.7 is someday going to
    >do something like that, see the part of
    >[url]http://aplawrence.com/Reviews/osr507.html[/url] that talks about SCROLLSZ
    Hm. I see your note on that and that you are going to 'throw a
    brick at them' if one more Linux users tells you about
    SHIFT-PAGEUP.

    I will say tha having the Scroll-lock then page-up/down
    functionality is wonderful. I don't have on 5.0.7 to try this on
    so maybe scroll-lock might work.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion Guest

  3. #3

    I was going to comment to Tony that the shift+pageup/down works way
    before any shell, but Bill added.

    I just tried the scrolllock+shift+pageup/down and it didn't work in
    SCO5.

    Thanks alot guys!

    I have more questions:

    1)I login in single user mode for maintenance...now as I log in, I can
    press Alt+F1 to switch to console 1 (what is correct naming?), but
    Alt+F2, alt+Fx are not avail...how can I run different consoles on
    different screens so that Alt+Fx works?

    2)In 'man x' when I reach the end how can I go to top again? w/o
    having to quit and run 'man' again ?

    Regards,
    Elias
    lallous Guest

  4. #4

    lallous typed (on Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 01:24:15PM -0700):

    | I have more questions:

    General advice: please post one problem at a time, not two or more quite
    different things like termianl access and reading man pages. And then
    also please pick a more meaningful Subject than "Basic questions". If
    you don't do that, and compose a bouillabaisse message, the thread
    becomes a mess, and some of your questions might never be answered.

    | 1)I login in single user mode for maintenance...now as I log in, I can
    | press Alt+F1 to switch to console 1 (what is correct naming?), but
    | Alt+F2, alt+Fx are not avail...how can I run different consoles on
    | different screens so that Alt+Fx works?

    In single-user mode, no getty processes are running on the other 11
    virtual terminals. Alt+F1 is actually doing nothing at all, any more
    than Alt-F2. In maintenance (AKA single-user) mode, you get just one
    screen.

    | 2)In 'man x' when I reach the end how can I go to top again? w/o
    | having to quit and run 'man' again ?

    That depends on which version of the OS you're using. If it's rs506
    + rs506A or later, the pager is really 'less', so UpArrow and PgUp
    work. If it's an earlier release, change from 'more' to 'pg' in
    /etc/default/man, or install 'less' and switch /etc/default/man to use
    that instead.

    Or use Help under X-Window.

    --
    JP
    Jean-Pierre Radley Guest

  5. #5

    In article <3bf2b2cf.0308041224.413db4c8posting.google.com >,
    lallous <lallouslgwm.org> wrote:
    >1)I login in single user mode for maintenance...now as I log in, I can
    >press Alt+F1 to switch to console 1 (what is correct naming?)
    tty01
    > but Alt+F2, alt+Fx are not avail...how can I run different consoles on
    >different screens so that Alt+Fx works?
    You can go to init state 4 by doing "init 4". This leaves all of the console
    ttys enabled for login, while not running the rc2 scripts that start up remote
    services. Note that after the init state transition you won't be logged in
    anywhere; you will need to log in on each screen that you want to use. Also,
    if you have any serial/modem lines that are enabled for login, you should
    remove the "4" from the 2nd field of their inittab lines in /etc/inittab and
    the appropriate file under /etc/conf/init.d, so that noone will be able to log
    in on those lines while you're in init state 4. When you want to go multiuser,
    first go back to init state 1 (single-user mode) with "init 1"; then go
    multiuser (state 2). If you try going straight from state 4 to state 2, some
    rc scripts are liable to be confused.

    John
    --
    John DuBois [email]spcecdtarmory.com[/email] KC6QKZ/AE [url]http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/[/url]
    John DuBois Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:57:12 -0400, Jack A wrote:

    DATABASE databasename; -- Semi-colon is end of statement.

    or you can use the connect statement:

    CONNECT TO 'databasenameservername';

    Method 2:

    select * from databasename:tablename;

    Actually the full syntax is:

    SELECT "owner".<table_or_alias>.<column>
    FROM "owner".<database>server:"owner".<table> ...;

    Art S. Kagel

    > How do i specify the database name in a sql script ? For example, are
    > there equivalents of the following ...
    >
    > use databasename
    > go ------- > Means end of batch select * from tablename go
    >

    > Method 2: Here I do not say which databse to use but put it in the Sql
    > statement
    >
    > select * from databasename..tablename
    Art S. Kagel Guest

  8. #8

    dbaccess <database> <script.sql>

    or

    -------------------
    database X;
    select * from table;
    -------------------

    or

    -------------------
    select * from <database><server>.table
    -------------------

    "Jack A" <InformixMail> wrote in message
    news:ce0e3c22.0308181257.3a4004dbposting.google.c om...
    > How do i specify the database name in a sql script ? For example, are
    > there equivalents of the following ...
    >
    > use databasename
    > go ------- > Means end of batch
    > select * from tablename
    > go
    >

    > Method 2: Here I do not say which databse to use but put it in the Sql
    > statement
    >
    > select * from databasename..tablename

    Madison Pruet Guest

  9. #9

    Hi!

    --
    Regards,
    Vladislav mailto:vbukreyevpisem.net

    JA> How do i specify the database name in a sql script ? For example, are
    JA> there equivalents of the following ...

    JA> use databasename
    JA> go ------- > Means end of batch
    JA> select * from tablename
    JA> go
    to connect to database use:

    database <db_name>

    JA> Method 2: Here I do not say which databse to use but put it in the Sql
    JA> statement

    JA> select * from databasename..tablename

    select * from [servernamedatabasename:]tablename

    sending to informix-list
    Vladislav Bukreyev Guest

  10. #10

    Hi!

    --
    Regards,
    Vladislav mailto:vbukreyevpisem.net

    JA> How do i specify the database name in a sql script ? For example, are
    JA> there equivalents of the following ...

    JA> use databasename
    JA> go ------- > Means end of batch
    JA> select * from tablename
    JA> go
    to connect to database use:

    database <db_name>

  11. #11

    Hi, im new using indesign and i have the CS 3.0 edit.

    1st question- How can I apply the text frame to all pages? I want all pages with text frame according the master page. is it possible? if yes, how?

    Ill post more questions soon...

    Ps: anyone know where i can find an good tutorial or a guide to download?
    Thanks
    Rk_Nascimento@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Why?

    Do you want these frames to be threaded (i.e., all contain a single story)? Or are they independent frames each with its own story?

    How are you populating them? By typing? By importing?

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Ill use to make an little newspaper. but id like it were like a single story. its not a "formal" newspaper, so, theres no need to the news topic to be at the top of the pages.

    Rk
    Rk_Nascimento@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    You didn't answer the key question about how text is going to get into these frames. Are you importing or typing the text?

    If you're importing it, you don't need to create frames in advance, just import the text and InDesign will create the frames for you if you choose the autoflow feature (by holding down the Shift key when you click the loaded trigger on the page).

  15. #15

    sorry, i was a little bit in hurry, but now ill answer.
    Ill both importing and typing the text.
    this autoflow only works if im typing?
    so, it means that i dont need to create a text frame in the master pages?
    Rk_Nascimento@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Autoflow works for importing text. It is not necessary to have text frames on the master page for running text. Use it for things like running heads and page numbers.