Professional Web Applications Themes

Basics of setting up a simple 2 computer + dsl network - Mac Networking

I'm setting up a very basic network and need some information on how to proceed. Basically, its going to be a G4/466 and a Dell Dimension 4600 which use a KVM switch to share a common keyboard and monitor. Network-wise, they'll have an ethernet connection to each other, but also need to share a DSL line and peripherals such as a printer. Will I need to purchase a seperate router or hub to do this? Also, if anybody could recommend a good introductory book or website on networking - preferably one that includes info about networking both macs and pcs ...

  1. #1

    Default Basics of setting up a simple 2 computer + dsl network

    I'm setting up a very basic network and need some information on how
    to proceed. Basically, its going to be a G4/466 and a Dell Dimension
    4600 which use a KVM switch to share a common keyboard and monitor.
    Network-wise, they'll have an ethernet connection to each other, but
    also need to share a DSL line and peripherals such as a printer.

    Will I need to purchase a seperate router or hub to do this?

    Also, if anybody could recommend a good introductory book or website
    on networking - preferably one that includes info about networking
    both macs and pcs - that would be great.

    Thanks,
    Peter
    Peter Werner Guest

  2. #2

    [email]pgwerner1966[/email] (Peter Werner) wrote in message news:<13378f69.0309222146.3a8bbebdposting.google. com>...
    Hi Peter,
    > I'm setting up a very basic network
    > G4/466 and a Dell Dimension
    > 4600 which use a KVM switch
    > an ethernet connection to each other
    > need to share a DSL line and peripherals such as a printer.
    1. Which equipment do you have?
    - An external DSL adapter or a PCI card?
    - Does your printer has built-in ethernet?
    > Will I need to purchase a seperate router or hub to do this?
    I'll say yes and no.
    Perhaps your KVM switch can handle the printer. Then the only problem
    would be DSL. If you don't mind un/plugging the cables all the time,
    you're fine.
    Otherwise:
    Buy a router with a printer port.
    Not that expensive. $/ 40+.
    Simple and effective.
    No plugging, no fuss and a firewall.
    But I don't know if you still can use the direct ethernet connection
    of both computers. I thin it should work.

    Greets, Bernd
    Bernd Wuensche Guest

  3. #3

    [email]b.wuenschefiremail.de[/email] (Bernd Wuensche) wrote :
    > > I'm setting up a very basic network
    > > G4/466 and a Dell Dimension
    > > 4600 which use a KVM switch
    > > an ethernet connection to each other
    > > need to share a DSL line and peripherals such as a printer.
    > 1. Which equipment do you have?
    > - An external DSL adapter or a PCI card?
    Both the Mac and the Dell have built-in ethernet.
    > - Does your printer has built-in ethernet?
    I haven't bought the new printer yet - built-in ethernet is a feature
    I should look for then?
    > Buy a router with a printer port.
    > Not that expensive. $/? 40+.
    > Simple and effective.
    > No plugging, no fuss and a firewall.
    Thanks for the advice. Do I need a seperate piece of hardware for a
    firewall, or is a firewall a program that I can install on each
    computer?

    Peter
    Peter Werner Guest

  4. #4

    In article <13378f69.0309222146.3a8bbebdposting.google.com >,
    [email]pgwerner1966[/email] (Peter Werner) wrote:
    > I'm setting up a very basic network and need some information on how
    > to proceed. Basically, its going to be a G4/466 and a Dell Dimension
    > 4600 which use a KVM switch to share a common keyboard and monitor.
    > Network-wise, they'll have an ethernet connection to each other, but
    > also need to share a DSL line and peripherals such as a printer.
    >
    > Will I need to purchase a seperate router or hub to do this?
    >
    > Also, if anybody could recommend a good introductory book or website
    > on networking - preferably one that includes info about networking
    > both macs and pcs - that would be great.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Peter
    Get a Cable/DSL Router (search <dealmac.com> and you should be able to
    find some inexpensive ones).

    The Cable/DSL router will provide NAT services. Basically it allows the
    router to get an IP address from your DSL provider and NAT allows the
    router to share the IP address with all the computers in your home.

    In addition, the router acts as a firewall because any attempt to
    connect to one of your computers will need to address an IP port, but
    because they are sharing the single IP address assigned to the router,
    there are no incoming ports on your computers for the routers to send
    the request to. This is because the request was directed at the router
    and since there are several computers on the other side, the router can
    not choose which one should get the request, so it is dropped.

    You can configure the router to pass ports if you wish, but by default
    the outside world can only get to you via email virus/worms that you
    fetch.

    The printer. Some routers have either a USB or Parallel port for
    attaching a printer. If you have a printer that can attach to that port
    you may be able to use the router as a print server. A word of caution.
    Some fun and games may be necessary to get both the Mac and the PC to
    see the printer. For the Mac, look to GIMP-PRINT drivers as a way to
    maybe gain access from MacOSX. The other option is to just get an
    etherenet based printer where the manufacture provides drivers for both
    the Mac and the PC (more expensive, but it might be worth it). And a
    printer that supports networking and postscript will most likely live
    for a long time over may generations of equipment changes.

    ------

    On the other hand, if you want to be cheaper, then get a second ethernet
    card for either the PC or the Mac. Configure it as the DSL connection,
    then get the build-in router software working on the Mac or PC. And run
    a fire wall on the system that is providing the routing.

    This can be done, but a lot more of the work is going to be left up to
    you and you will need to have the router system running when you need to
    use the internet.

    personally, I think it is much less of a pain to just get the Cable/DSL
    router. They really do not cost that much. They don't use a lot of
    power, they are small, they often times provide 4 10/100BaseT ethernet
    switched ports, they can be configured via a browser from either the Mac
    or the PC. What's not to like :-)

    -------

    Suggested reading. Try <threemacs.com>
    Search this news group archive via google looking for other postings on
    this same subject.
    Checkout the O'Riely books

    Good luck.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Harris Guest

  5. #5

    Bob Harris <harriszk3.dec.com> wrote:
    > The printer. Some routers have either a USB or Parallel port for
    > attaching a printer. If you have a printer that can attach to that port
    > you may be able to use the router as a print server. A word of caution.
    > Some fun and games may be necessary to get both the Mac and the PC
    > to see the printer. For the Mac, look to GIMP-PRINT drivers as a way to
    > maybe gain access from MacOSX. The other option is to just get an
    > etherenet based printer where the manufacture provides drivers for both
    > the Mac and the PC (more expensive, but it might be worth it). And a
    > printer that supports networking and postscript will most likely live
    > for a long time over may generations of equipment changes.
    I looked at some internet printers and it seems like my options are
    pretty limited if I'm looking for something smaller than a bulky
    office laser printer.

    An option I'd like to know more about is simply to use a USB to
    Ethernet adapter and plug a USB printer into that. Is this a workable
    option? Could one assign an address to the adapter that would allow
    both computers to send to the printer over the network?

    Peter
    Peter Werner Guest