Professional Web Applications Themes

Batch Crop Action - auto save files without having to hit 'save' button - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

Hi, A while ago I spent a long time trying to figure out an action that would automatically crop my photos to a 4x3 aspect ratio to use in video. I lost the action when I installed PSCS and now I am trying to re-build it. I can get it to crop just fine but it wants me to hit the save button on every image. I have tried several times and cannot remember how I got it to save the file for me without my having to 'ok' the save each time. Could a guru please help! This saves ...

  1. #1

    Default Batch Crop Action - auto save files without having to hit 'save' button

    Hi,

    A while ago I spent a long time trying to figure out an action that would automatically crop my photos to a 4x3 aspect ratio to use in video. I lost the action when I installed PSCS and now I am trying to re-build it. I can get it to crop just fine but it wants me to hit the save button on every image. I have tried several times and cannot remember how I got it to save the file for me without my having to 'ok' the save each time. Could a guru please help! This saves me so much time.

    Thanks much.
    Jeff Seal
    Jeff_Seal@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Check to make sure the the 'toggle dialog on/off' option isn't active in the save step of your action.

    Carl.
    Carl_Stawicki@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hello Carl,
    Thanks for your help. I cannot find where the toggle on/off option is located. Where do I find that?

    Thanks.
    Jeff_Seal@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    In you Action palette, with button mode off, it's the second column from the left. It's a square icon that looks like a dialog box.

  5. #5

    Carl, took me a bit to get back to this. I am so frustrated. I have tried this and tried this and it does not work. Could you have a look or anyone have a look at this and tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

    Action found here:
    <http://www.stochasticaphelion.com/DVcroper.atn.zip>

    Thanks.
    Jeff_Seal@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Danny_Raphael@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Jeff,

    Try and remove the save and close steps from your actions
    Rene_Walling@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Hi all. Thanks for the posts. I removed the save and close parts of the action and ran it like normal but it still crops the photo and then pops a dialog asking me to ok the save and the jpeg compression etc. Result, I still have to tap ok for every image. I know it is something stupid I am missing, and I did it once before. Any other guesses? Thanks.
    Jeff_Seal@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Didn't realize you were converting to .jpg from another format or I would have mentioned this before. No point muddying the waters if not necessary.

    In the File > Automate > Batch dialog in the Destination section, click ON the "Override Action "Save As" commands" option. That preserves the .jpg options and ignores the file name and folder specified when you recorded the Save As... command - and suppresses the annoying dialog.

    ~Danny~
    Danny_Raphael@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I've only had the Suite about 10 days, so am still learning.

    Almost daily, I batch convert a folder of about 50 camera jpegs to TIFF. Until now I have used PS Elements, which does this easily in one batch without a pause.I end up with a folder with new TIFFS and my orig jpegs.

    In Photoshop CS, no matter what I do, I either end up with no saved TIFF files at all, or each photo opens and I have to save it manually.

    I'm using File>Automate>Batch>Default Action>jpg>tiff. I've tried unchecking the "Override Action Save as box", plus any other variations, but no success. After 2 hours frustration, I've had to go back to using Elements.

    I have never used actions before - maybe I have to create a new one?

    Any help appreciated. Robert.
    Robert_Downunder@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Yes, I have not had any luck yet either. I am not even converting from one file type to another. I'm using jpeg images, croping them and saving them. No go. I will play with this again tomorrow. Got frustrated and had to give up for a bit. I'm ready for round 3.
    Jeff_Seal@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Robert:

    In your case it's a 1-step action: Save As... (.tif). Don't worry about the Folder/File Name you have to specify when the action is recorded. Also, be sure the checkbox to the immediate left of the Save command in the action is "off," otherwise a dialog box will display each time Save As... is executed. Not good.

    Finally, in the File > Automate > Batch dialog, the turn ON the "Ignore Action 'Save as' Commands" option. That ought to do it.

    This settomg has the effect of retaining the .jpg specifications while ignoring the File Name and Folder recorded in the step. The fields populated in the Destination section of the File > Automate > Batch dialog govern output file location.

    - - - - -

    Sorry, Jeff. I misunderstood.

    I thought you were converting from a non-.jpg format to .jpg. If .jpg to .jpg, no "Save As" command needed in the action -- just the crop command.

    Likewise, the "Ignore Action 'Save as' Commands" option needs to be OFF in the File > Automate > Batch dialog.

    Nothing like bad advice to make a problem worse. :( Sorry about that.

    Danny
    Danny_Raphael@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    'Morning All,

    I read this post with great interest, as I have always found batch processing using even the simplest of actions to be needlessly convoluted.

    Creating actions are simple enough; activating a batch command is simple enough.
    But the manner of saving/getting a 'jpeg options dialog box' needing to be hit before continuing is REALLY frustrating...

    To wit: I often need to simply rotate a folder of digitally photographed images so that they are in a vertical orientation.
    One should be able to simply put the photos in a folder, create the action, and batch process them using the 'Save and close" option in the batch dialogue box.

    I mean really, this SHOULD be a no brainer.

    But I cannot get this to work properly, and end up having to incorporate 'Save As' commands in the action and direct the photos to another folder. This works fine, but is needlessly complicated, and requires amending the action with each new job I shoot, and creates all kinds of excess folders, many of which need to be chucked because they are effectively just duplicates of the original captures (albeit rotated).

    This makes the simplest of workflow issue an exercise in mental agility, and even a long discussion yesterday with an Adobe tech (very very nice, and helpful) has not yielded success...

    Help!!

    Stu Rosner
    S_Rosner@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. Moderated Post

  15. #15

    If you are using CS you can start by selectivly rotating the images in the file browser. Select all of you browser rotated images and Control+click one of them and choose Apply Rotation to have Photoshop actually rotate and re-save the file.

    When using batching in conjunction to saving, I also save to a specified folder within my Action. IMHO this is actually very cool! I usually have two folders permanently residing on my desktop. One called Source (rarely used) the other named Destination (always used). My actions include a 'save the file to the Destination folder' step.

    When batch processing I have the Destination Folder set to none (it's already saving in the action). Yes, I do have to add the Save step in any NEW action I create. After the batching I create a new folder for the processed images and transfer them out of the Destination folder so it can be re-used again.

    I work in a lab and use this batching technique daily on hundreds of images. I'm working on one that uses 5 Destination folders to create Duplicates, B/W's, Sepias, X-Process and web versions from a single Source (Folder/browser)

    Once set up this system is sweet. BTW - Thank you Adobe for the update to the Batch Rename! - All it needs now is a Find/Replace option - <g>
    Hexebah@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Hi Danny; (and Hexebah)

    Thanks for your post, it has helped to clarify things alot.

    Have never really utilized the File Browser all that much as I use a program called Photo Mechanic for editing my raw captures from shoots.

    In playing with the File Browser (PS 7), have duly noted the ease with which images can be rotated. However, batching any other preliminary actions (such as copyrighting the photos, which I routinely do for Web Gallery purposes) STILL requires a "Save as" command and routing to another folder to work seamlessly.

    Once a bunch of photos has been through the process of being saved to a secondary file, they can they be more individually tweaked (say in terms of levels, image size, color correction, whatever...) and then it is possible to use the "Save and Close" option in Batch Dialogue....
    Now, why is that?

    This is all about workflow, and now I'm doing something this:
    An edited folder of vertical portraits receives an action that rotates to correct orientation, makes the file a copyrighted work, has file info (name, phone #, etc) and then is sent via batch processing to a ubiquitous Destination folder on my desktop.
    I then copy all those files to a new folder that is named for the job (ie, Joes Portraits/Edited/adjusted). leaving and untouched folder of the original "joes portraits' on my hard drive...

    At this point, and at this point only, can I batch the adjusted photos using new actions for levels, color correction, sharpening, whatever....And then use the SAVE and CLOSE command in the Batch dialogue box to keep them in Joes Portraits/Edited/Adjusted....

    OK, the system works, and it's really no big deal, just a little convoluted, and so my question still remains, why can't photos simply be rotated, copyrighted, etc via an action and left in their original folder without defining a new destination folder, or having the need to "Save" via jpeg options diaglogue box in every image that comes up...

    Sorry, this is not logical and is bugging the hell out of me, and cannot find a way that PS will execute this simplest of commands without the (minimal) extra steps.

    Thanks for your time/patience/interest.