Professional Web Applications Themes

Batch Rotation of photos? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

  1. #1

    Default Batch Rotation of photos?

    Jodz Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Batch Rotation of photos?

    where was that answer? I can't find it!
    Dan Derrico Guest

  3. #3

    It 's not an answer to your question, but this is the way I avoid this "problem".
    When I upload the images to my computer (Windows XP and a card reader) I rotate them before saving. No problems any more.

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  4. #4

    but is it faster to rotate them before saving than to rotate them after saving?

    the question is : how do I select 100 photos to rotate and have it all done quickly and automatically without me being around to rotate every one individually ?

    and does that mean you rotate them in the camera?
    Dan Derrico Guest

  5. #5

    I know some cameras do rotate them automatically. Mine doesnot unfortunately.
    But I 'm always that curious that I am always eagerly watching the screen when I 'm uploading from the card. And, at least in XP, it just one click of the mouse to rotate an image. Rotating in Elements requires more clicking. ;-))

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  6. #6

    I have noticed the one-click rotate in XP and I agree it would be a time saver. But I have been reluctant to use it, because my camera produces JPEG files (with "lossy" compression). I suspect that XP saves the file after rotating it, thereby degrading the image.

    I end up editing most of my images in PSE anyway, so I can rotate them at that stage, and therefore only need to save them once after transfer.

    Can anyone tell me if I am right about this?
    Brett Matthews Guest

  7. #7

    I don't think your JPEG images will degrade by rotating in XP. AFAIK you rotate them before they are saved to the computer.

    I'm shooting JPEG as well, but never noticed such a problem. In my shopwindow I display at the moment two vertical (portrait and wedding) images of 20x30" and they are absolutely gorgeous. They don't show any difference compared to another, horizontal, wedding image at the same size.

    So, I hope you are wrong. ;-)

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  8. #8

    There's been a lot of discussion in various venues about the loss of image
    quality associated with rotating JPEG's; not sure what to believe. Some
    apps claim to rotate them losslessly (could that be a word??); who can be
    certain? I generally take the conservative approach of opening them 'as-is'
    in Elements, then rotating them and saving as PSD or TIFF. An extra step,
    perhaps, but safe.

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks for your input, folks. I'll use the XP rotation for a couple of non-critical shots and see if there is any noticeable difference.

    But with anything I plan to enlarge, I won't be using it at this stage.
    Brett Matthews Guest

  10. #10

    Kyle, thanks for doing the ysis; makes me a lot more comfortable about
    rotating JPEG's! Chuck

    p.s. Really like your Challenge entry - would love to be in those mountains
    today (90+ here in Houston)!

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks Chuck.

    I'd like to be in those mountains too! Not as hot as Houston, but Ottawa does have fun with humidity.

    That picture was taken about this time, last year. I'm about 5000+ ft above sea level and there the temperature hits highs in the 70's. It's highway 3, west of Creston, in southeastern British Columbia. Creston is my hometown, even though I've been in the Ottawa area for 19 of the last 30 years. (Too blinkin' flat 'round here!)

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  12. #12

    Magnificent spot, Kyle. Hope to visit British Columbia one of these days;
    very high on my wish list! Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  13. #13

    Houston, hmmm, motorcycling in January!

    This would be a good thing! (retirement in 7yrs!)

    Kyle (future snowbird!)
    Kyle White Guest

  14. #14

    Kyle

    I was showing the challenges today at our Photoshop Elements class and
    several of us thought it was the Fraser Canyon somewhere. Close enough I
    guess.

    Dave

    Dave Hamer Guest

  15. #15

    Hi Dave!

    Just a touch east! After all, from the Kootenay point of view, the Fraser Caynon is beyond Hope! (keep right at the junction of Hwy 1 and Hwy 3, eastbound from the coast)

    Question: Where are you taking Elements classes?

    I need all the help I can get!

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  16. #16

    Cool!

    I'll have to check around Ottawa to see if there's something similar. I'll also keep an eye on the local college's fall calendar.

    Thanks, and enjoy your summer! (i.e.: Go forth and take pictures!)

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  17. #17

    Kyle, there are also some online classes several forum members are taking. Maybe if you post your e-mail address one of the "virtual students" will give you some information. I don't believe the classes are officially sanctioned by Adobe, so posting a link might not be the politically correct thing to do.
    Beth Haney Guest

  18. #18

    Thanks Beth,

    I'm [email]kmwhite1magma.ca[/email], or if you see me in the newsgroups, I'm [email]caolmagma.ca[/email]

    My free time, right now, is mostly spent out on the motorcycle (weather permitting), so fall/winter is the time for me to be studying.

    Tks agn

    Kyle

    (getting ready to go scoot!)
    Kyle White Guest