Professional Web Applications Themes

Batch Scan Freezes Photoshop Elements - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am batch scanning 35 mm strips and acquiring with Canon driver into Photoshop Elements. (Mac OS 10.2.6 1.42 dual processor with 1 gig RAM) All was well until I installed Nikon View 6. Then scanning would freeze on scan #4 in batch. I ran discwarrior with no prob found, finally deleted both Nikon view and Photoshop elements and then reinstalled Elements. All was well for a while, now the problem returns. Any suggestions please? additional information: Console app give the following- Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2/Photoshop Elements 2.0/Contents/MacOS/Photoshop Elements 2.0: ***Warning: Line option kATSLineIsDisplayOnly has been deprecated. *** Thanks to ...

  1. #1

    Default Batch Scan Freezes Photoshop Elements

    I am batch scanning 35 mm strips and acquiring with Canon driver into Photoshop Elements. (Mac OS 10.2.6 1.42 dual processor with 1 gig RAM) All was well until I installed Nikon View 6. Then scanning would freeze on scan #4 in batch. I ran discwarrior with no prob found, finally deleted both Nikon view and Photoshop elements and then reinstalled Elements.
    All was well for a while, now the problem returns. Any suggestions please?

    additional information: Console app give the following- Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2/Photoshop Elements 2.0/Contents/MacOS/Photoshop Elements 2.0: ***Warning: Line option kATSLineIsDisplayOnly has been deprecated. ***
    Thanks to any and all help for help
    andrew freeman Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Batch Scan Freezes Photoshop Elements

    Andrew,
    I can't solve your problem, but as a workaround, don't import the images directly from the scanner into PSE. Just import them to files, and then open the files in Elements. By separating the processes, you will find out if the problem is in PSE or in the scanner software.
    By the way, that's the way I always operate. I'm more comfortable separating the processes and doing one thing (scanning or image processing) at a time. Interoperability problems between scanners and PSE are very common here in the forums.
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  3. #3

    but with many of the Canon scanners(certainly with mine) the only way
    the drivers work in OSX is as a photoshop plug-in

    Wow, I didn't know that, Susan. It seems weird to me that Canon would tie their product to Adobe software like that. Both my scanners (HP flatbed and Minolta film) came with standalone software, even though I don't particularly like the Minolta package and bought a third-party package called VueScan. But that's for PCs, and there's a lot more market for PC-based products. Still, I'm surprised Canon doesn't have standalone tools for their scanners for all platforms.
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  4. #4

    Bert - for more recent scanners, Canon seems to. For mine, the OS9 software is also a plugin but will run in a stand-alone app called canoscan toolbox. Vuescan works fine on the Mac, including OSX - it just doesn't work too well with the slide scanning on my scanner. And their new pricing makes it a bit more painful to use! (I don't have a registered copy - I tried the demo to see if it worked OK, and as it didn't completely i didn't buy it)

    Susan S
    Susan S. Guest

  5. #5

    Susan,

    Vuescan works fine on the Mac, including OSX - it just doesn't work too
    well with the slide scanning on my scanner. And their new pricing makes
    it a bit more painful to use! (I don't have a registered copy - I tried
    the demo to see if it worked OK, and as it didn't completely i didn't
    buy it)

    I just checked the Vuescan manual to see what Canon scanners are supported...there's 13 models listed. What is the model number of yours? Did you contact Ed Hamrick and explain your problem? He's a good guy, and will surely try to help you solve the problem if you ask. The manual has specific instructions on how to submit a problem report...how to enable the log, etc. But first, make sure your model is supported.
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest