Professional Web Applications Themes

Beating my head over designing database table around a form - MySQL

Looking for a little assistance because I'm sure I'm overlooking some best-practice or simple solution to this. I have a form in Excel format that I'm translating to a ruby frontend and a mysql backend. The form is for Quality Assurance and uses simple scoring, and each filled form basically translates to a record in a database table containing information from that monitoring session. The individual being monitored is scored in 4 different areas. Each area has its own average score, and then each of the 4 areas is averaged for an overall score. Example: Area 1 Area 1 - ...

  1. #1

    Default Beating my head over designing database table around a form

    Looking for a little assistance because I'm sure I'm overlooking some
    best-practice or simple solution to this.

    I have a form in Excel format that I'm translating to a ruby frontend
    and a mysql backend. The form is for Quality Assurance and uses
    simple scoring, and each filled form basically translates to a record
    in a database table containing information from that monitoring
    session. The individual being monitored is scored in 4 different
    areas. Each area has its own average score, and then each of the 4
    areas is averaged for an overall score.

    Example:

    Area 1
    Area 1 - Item 1 - ____
    Area 1 - Item 2 - ____
    Area 1 Score - ____(Average of Area 1 Items)

    Area 2
    Area 2 - Item 1 - ____
    Area 2 - Item 2 - ____
    Area 2 - Item 3 - ____
    Area 2 Score - ____ (Average of Area 2 items)

    Overall Score - ____ (Average of Area 1 and Area 2)

    If I only needed to record the 4 area scores and the overall it
    wouldn't be an issue, but each item for each area and its score needs
    to be recorded as well. I know if I take the easy way out and hard-
    code the item text into the page and just assume that the number of
    items in each area won't change, the first thing they'll do is change
    everything, so I'm trying to design a structure that will pre-empt
    that and allow for scaling, while still maintaining data accuracy and
    integrity to those records that were around before changes were made.

    I've gone through a couple of different schemas that were just an
    insane amount of abstraction and I can only imagine the ugly queries.
    So I'm wondering if there's a common convention or model that I'm just
    overlooking that can accommodate this form.

    I hope this was clear enough, sometimes problems are harder to speak
    than they are to see

    jimhern@gmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    On Apr 11, 4:57 pm, com wrote:

    What's wrong with:

    scores(user_id*,area*,subarea*,score) ? (* = PRIMARY KEY)

    strawberry Guest

  3. #3

    On Apr 11, 12:33 pm, "strawberry" <com> wrote:

    > What's wrong with:
    >
    > scores(user_id*,area*,subarea*,score) ? (* = PRIMARY KEY)[/ref]

    That's a route I hadn't tried. I'll broach it from the scores instead
    of the areas and see how it works. Thanks!

    jimhern@gmail.com Guest