Professional Web Applications Themes

Been lookin' at a lot of rainbow wheels lately - Mac Applications & Software

I've been running 10.2.6, since it was released, on an iceBook 600, and I've noticed a general slowdown of things and a lot of stalling and rainbow wheels recently and some app instability--including Safari. I run basically browsers, email, classic apps, Appleworks, iTunes, and OS 9 about once a week. I've heard OS X slowly currupts over time--is this what's happening? I've got about 1 gig left on this partition (out of 5 gigs). What's happening? Any utilities I can run? Thanks Rog...

  1. #1

    Default Been lookin' at a lot of rainbow wheels lately

    I've been running 10.2.6, since it was released, on an iceBook 600, and
    I've noticed a general slowdown of things and a lot of stalling and
    rainbow wheels recently and some app instability--including Safari. I
    run basically browsers, email, classic apps, Appleworks, iTunes, and OS
    9 about once a week.

    I've heard OS X slowly currupts over time--is this what's happening?
    I've got about 1 gig left on this partition (out of 5 gigs).

    What's happening? Any utilities I can run?

    Thanks

    Rog
    Roger Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Been lookin' at a lot of rainbow wheels lately

    In article <west.earthlink.net>, Roger
    <net> wrote:

    I've been running three Macs of various types for several years...
    always at the latest update level.

    Never noticed that, never heard of it.

    But... do you repair disk permissions occasionally, esp. after adding
    sw? Added any third party software? Empty trash?

    --
    Jack
    Jack Guest

  3. #3

    In <west.earthlink.net> Roger wrote:

    What's your RAM situation? What's the last time you restarted? Use
    MemoryStick to check up on how RAM / swapfiles are being used.

    Oh, flapdoodle. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  4. #4

    In article <west.earthlink.net>,
    Roger <net> wrote:

    This problem is caused by evil pixies who infest the computer. You can
    fix things up using a strong dose of pesticide.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  5. #5

    Roger <net> wrote in message news:<west.earthlink.net>...

    Rog,

    I too am a little bit disconcerted over seeing more than a few
    spinning beach balls on hung OS X macs (brand new mirrored face G4's,
    w/512mb RAM) in the computer labs I support. The force quit option
    on OS X works better than it did in OS 9, but that ain't saying much.
    On some occasions, I couldn't get past the spinning beach ball to
    actually DO a force quit...entire system was hung - mouse, keyboard,
    etc. OS X seems to be better than OS 9, which was a CONSTANT pain and
    a constant battle to keep running, but for all the hoopla surrounding
    the supposed "stability" of OS X, i'm not convinced.

    DF
    D. Guest

  6. #6

    In article <150920031922071691%spam>,
    spam wrote:

    Actually I hadn't repaired permissions in a couple months or so, so I
    just ran it and it did have a lot more activity than usual, so we'll see
    if that helps.

    Thanks

    Rog
    Roger Guest

  7. #7

    In article <la.sbcglobal.net>, matt neuburg
    <com> wrote:

    > What's your RAM situation? What's the last time you restarted?[/ref]

    384 megs, but that hasn't changed in a while, neither have my apps or
    usage patterns. I restart to use OS 9 about every weekend.

    Rog
    Roger Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:51:41 -0700, D. Fox wrote
    (in message <google.com>):

    DF,
    Are you running 10.2.6? What apps are hanging? What peripherals and drivers
    hav you installed?

    Quite curious... my PowerBook is *much* more stable under OS X (more stable
    under 10.2.6 than previous versions...)
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  9. #9

    Roger <net> wrote:

    I don't think OS X is any more prone to disk corruption than any
    other modern OS. I just ran Disk Warrior on a friend's iMac on
    a 60GB disk with a lot of data on it and no problems of any
    consequence were found. She's been an OS X user for at least
    a year. I ran Disk Warrior recently on my six month old Powerbook
    and it found only a tiny amount of fragmentation, no corruption.

    To investigate the problems you're seeing, I suggest you keep
    a console window open and go through the crash logs under the
    Apple system profiler to see if any information is revealed.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  10. #10

    in article individual.net, DaveC at
    com wrote on 9/17/03 6:01 AM:

    > DF,
    > Are you running 10.2.6? What apps are hanging? What peripherals and drivers
    > hav you installed?
    >
    > Quite curious... my PowerBook is *much* more stable under OS X (more stable
    > under 10.2.6 than previous versions...)[/ref]

    An Apple tech told me that the spinning color wheel and the spinning
    quadrant disks mean the same thing. The color signifies System 10.2 while
    the black and white signifies classic mode.

    Nevertheless, if I am to judge by how much I was helped, I would not rely
    very much on that particular tech.

    Bill

    Repeating Guest