Professional Web Applications Themes

Beginner Digital Photo ?s - Mac Applications & Software

I'm both a new owner of a digital camera and just migrating to OS X from OS 8.6. My main question is: what is the easiest software to use for downloading, organizing and sharing digital photos? I share photos mainly via email or uploading to Ofoto. And print either directly or buy from Ofoto. I began by using Canon's Image Browser and then used iPhoto for a bit and now I'm back to Image Browser. For me, not yet really getting some of OS X's folder and file organization, I find using Image Browser easier because it ends up being ...

  1. #1

    Default Beginner Digital Photo ?s

    I'm both a new owner of a digital camera and just migrating to OS X from
    OS 8.6.

    My main question is: what is the easiest software to use for
    downloading, organizing and sharing digital photos?

    I share photos mainly via email or uploading to Ofoto. And print either
    directly or buy from Ofoto.

    I began by using Canon's Image Browser and then used iPhoto for a bit
    and now I'm back to Image Browser.

    For me, not yet really getting some of OS X's folder and file
    organization, I find using Image Browser easier because it ends up being
    in a more familiar folder and file format. But maybe I'm missing
    something for the long term.

    So looking for a simple to use software and approach.

    Thanks for any tips for this beginner. Appreciate it.

    --
    Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
    Norm Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Beginner Digital Photo ?s

    In article <net>, Norm Harris
    <invalid> wrote:

    I'm using iPhoto happily. It's not the speediest, but I find it very
    easy to use, I like the way it organizes things, and it does exactly
    what I want it to do. (It includes an option to export a web page of
    photos, which is very handy.)

    Ugggh... Never did much care for Image Browser, but that's me. :-)

    iPhoto organizes in Year/Month/Day format for the folders -- really, I
    don't think it was designed with human consumption in mind. When I
    want to pull pictures out of the database, I just highlight them, use
    iPhoto's "Export" command, and put them into a tempoary folder that way
    for uploading or whatever.

    iPhoto also gives me the option of getting the resulting filename from
    the hand-entered Title (which usually is different from, and more
    descriptive than, the filename as it came from the camera), which makes
    things much easier for me later on. I particularly like the way it
    interfaces with iDVD and can export Quicktime movie slide shows.

    Another program I may investigate further is iView Media (or iView
    Media Pro), which may be more along the lines of what you want. It's
    gotten very good reviews here. Check it out:

    http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

    I'm not ready to hop over just yet, as I'm comfortable with iPhoto, but
    it's definitely worth investigating. The basic version is $30, the Pro
    is $90. Both have a free trial if you want to take it for a spin.

    Hope that helps.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=

  3. #3

    >When I

    You know that isn't necessary, right? You can click on a photo and just drag it
    to a Finder window or folder; iPhoto will copy the image from its own folder
    into wherever you dragged it.

    You can also open an image from iPhoto by clicking on it and dragging it to,
    say, Photoshop (or whatever).

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  4. #4

    >For me, not yet really getting some of OS X's folder and file

    The nice thing about iPhoto is you can do everything you want--copy pictures,
    open pictures in other programs, whatever--without ever opening the iPhoto
    folder or understanding its folder/file structure. Apple made it so easy that
    many people try to complicate things by locating the image files themselves.

    To copy a picture from iPhoto to another folder, click on the picture in iPhoto
    and drag it wherever you like. That will make a copy wherever you dragged it
    to.

    To open a picture in another program, click on it in iPhoto and drag it to the
    other program.

    Piece of cake. :)

  5. #5

    In article <aol.com>, Tacit
    <com> wrote:

    > You know that isn't necessary, right? You can click on a photo and just drag
    > it to a Finder window or folder; iPhoto will copy the image from its own folder
    > into wherever you dragged it.[/ref]

    Yep, I do that sometimes as well, but not often. I use the Export
    command for the reason I outlined in my original message -- namely,
    that I can get the picture's title as the filename instead of the
    cryptic name from my digital camera. Export also lets me scale the
    pictures to a smaller size as they're copied, which is sometimes very
    handy.

    That one I didn't know -- very cool!

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=

  6. #6

    Norm Harris <invalid> writes:

    That's a matter of both taste and custom.

    That's been your custom, so sticking to it may be better for you. My wife
    prefers iView's Multimedia Pro to iPhoto, but she was using that before
    iPhoto came out. I'm not impressed enough with iPhoto to use it myself.

    I just plug my Compact flash cards into a reader, drag them all to disk,
    then burn them to a CD. iView would catalog them and keep the catalog on
    your fixed disk so you can search for photos and have iView tell you where
    they are on which CD. I think they have a free trial version -- take a look
    at http://www.iview-multimedia.com/ and see if it works for you.

    On the question of custom, I'd suggest biting the bullet and cutting loose
    from the old OS and its old familiar folder system. It really is time to
    move on and get used to OS X. You'll get the hang of it before you know
    it.

    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  7. #7

    In article <net>,
    Norm Harris <invalid> wrote:

    Macintouch has a user report on this subject with links to the various
    photo browsers mentioned.

    http://www.macintouch.com/imageviewers01.html

    --
    Real Address-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Bill Gates couldn't innovate his way out of a paper bag.

  8. #8

    In article <net>,
    Norm Harris <invalid> wrote:

    One strong vote for iView MediaPro. Been using it a long time: simple,
    reliable, fast, pretty good user manual, does a bunch of things, and so
    far as I've been able to see, does all of them well.
    AES/newspost Guest

  9. #9

    In article <aol.com>,
    com (Tacit) wrote:

    > The nice thing about iPhoto is you can do everything you want--copy
    > pictures, open pictures in other programs, whatever--without ever
    > opening the iPhoto folder or understanding its folder/file structure.
    > Apple made it so easy that many people try to complicate things by
    > locating the image files themselves.
    >
    > To copy a picture from iPhoto to another folder, click on the picture
    > in iPhoto and drag it wherever you like. That will make a copy
    > wherever you dragged it to.
    >
    > To open a picture in another program, click on it in iPhoto and drag
    > it to the other program.
    >
    > Piece of cake. :)[/ref]

    I agree. Just ignore the folder structure that iPhoto uses, it's much
    easier to work with your photos from inside iPhoto, putting them into
    Albums and assigning Keywords to categorize what's in the photos.

    iPhoto didn't seem all that great when I first tried it, and for a while
    I avoided using it, prefering to just put my photos into folders and
    browse them with Graphic Converter. But the more I use iPhoto, the more
    impressed I am with it.

    A few of the great things you can do with iPhoto:

    * Restore the original photo. When you edit your photos in iPhoto, it
    keeps a backup copy of the original photo. If you decide 6 months later
    that you want to undo all the changes you've ever made to the photo, you
    can just select it and "Revert to Original".

    * Put your photo albums on the web. Just select some photos or an
    iPhoto album and use File -> Export -> Web Page. Then upload the
    resulting folder to your web site. If you want more options to control
    the appearance, look for iPhoto plugins like Better HTML Export.

    * Make slide show VCDs or DVDs that will work in DVD players. If you
    have a DVD burner, use the iDVD button in iPhoto to export photos &
    albums to iDVD and work with them there. If you only have a CD burner,
    use the File -> Export -> QuickTime command to make a QuickTime movie,
    then use Toast 5 Titanium to burn it in VCD format.

    * Save disk space by burning your iPhoto albums to CD-R, and then
    deleting the photos from your iPhoto Library. When you want to look at
    those photos again, just insert the CD and the albums on it will appear
    in iPhoto.
    Wayne Guest

  10. #10

    Norm Harris <invalid> wrote:

    Try Apple's free iPhoto software, which is installed by default
    with OS X.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  11. #11

    In article <bh8kd5$s61$temple.edu>, edu wrote:

    You might also try iView (www.iciew-multimedia.com) at the same time as
    you try iPhoto. I find it much more useful than iPhoto, although it does
    have a moderate cost.

    --
    Remove *NOSPAM* from edress
    Earl Guest