Professional Web Applications Themes

Beginner Photographer - Photography

Hi! I'm a basic full function SLR looking for a suitable beginner; I was hoping you guys could help... I come with a 50mm f/1.8 lens, real sharp and fast. I'm an all metal body, but compact with shutter speeds of 30 sec down to a quick 1/2000. My max-synch speed is only 1/125, but that covers most situations pretty well. I have AF and manual focus modes, and the beginner can choose between P mode where I'll do the metering and select an aperture and speed that I think is right. He can shift those as he likes. In ...

  1. #1

    Default Beginner Photographer

    Hi! I'm a basic full function SLR looking for a suitable beginner; I
    was hoping you guys could help...

    I come with a 50mm f/1.8 lens, real sharp and fast.

    I'm an all metal body, but compact with shutter speeds of 30 sec down to
    a quick 1/2000. My max-synch speed is only 1/125, but that covers most
    situations pretty well.

    I have AF and manual focus modes, and the beginner can choose between P
    mode where I'll do the metering and select an aperture and speed that I
    think is right. He can shift those as he likes. In my "A" mode (my
    favourite) the photographer selects the aperture and I'll compute the
    speed for him and set that. I also come with an "S" mode, which is real
    handy for sports, danse and other situations where the photogrpaher
    would like to create some blur or just guarantee a "freeze-frame". Not
    only that, I am a perfectly secure little beginner SLR, and the
    photographer can set me to "M" mode and do it all himself.

    All of my settings are in 1/3 stops, and of course I read DX coded film,
    but allow the photographer to override it. My exposure compensation
    comes in 1/3 stops too.

    And guess what, while I don't have a true "Mirror Lockup" switch, when
    you use the timer function (set to 2 or 10 seconds), the mirror swings
    up right away, and the shutter releases later, so all the vibration is gone.

    Depth-fo-field preview? of course.

    My meter works in spot and centre-weighted.
    I use two type 123 batteries.

    So please suggest the right beginner for me!

    Cheers!

    Alan Browne Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Beginner Photographer

    Is it just me, or did people miss the point of this post?

    -David-

    "Alan Browne" <alan.brownevideotron.ca> wrote in message

    > Hi! I'm a basic full function SLR looking for a suitable beginner; I
    > was hoping you guys could help...
    >
    > I come with a 50mm f/1.8 lens, real sharp and fast.
    >
    > I'm an all metal body, but compact with shutter speeds of 30 sec down to
    > a quick 1/2000. My max-synch speed is only 1/125, but that covers most
    > situations pretty well.
    >
    > I have AF and manual focus modes, and the beginner can choose between P
    > mode where I'll do the metering and select an aperture and speed that I
    > think is right. He can shift those as he likes. In my "A" mode (my
    > favourite) the photographer selects the aperture and I'll compute the
    > speed for him and set that. I also come with an "S" mode, which is real
    > handy for sports, danse and other situations where the photogrpaher
    > would like to create some blur or just guarantee a "freeze-frame". Not
    > only that, I am a perfectly secure little beginner SLR, and the
    > photographer can set me to "M" mode and do it all himself.
    >
    > All of my settings are in 1/3 stops, and of course I read DX coded film,
    > but allow the photographer to override it. My exposure compensation
    > comes in 1/3 stops too.
    >
    > And guess what, while I don't have a true "Mirror Lockup" switch, when
    > you use the timer function (set to 2 or 10 seconds), the mirror swings
    > up right away, and the shutter releases later, so all the vibration is
    gone.

    > Depth-fo-field preview? of course.
    >
    > My meter works in spot and centre-weighted.
    > I use two type 123 batteries.
    >
    > So please suggest the right beginner for me!
    >
    > Cheers!

    Dave-id Greiner Guest

  3. #3

    It seemed rather pointless to me!

    Gene

    "Dave-id Greiner" <godlikeelp.rr.comREMOVE> wrote in message
    news:_9RRa.83039$xg5.74482twister.austin.rr.com.. .
    > Is it just me, or did people miss the point of this post?
    >
    > -David-
    >

    > "Alan Browne" <alan.brownevideotron.ca> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Hi! I'm a basic full function SLR looking for a suitable beginner; I
    > > was hoping you guys could help...
    > >
    > > I come with a 50mm f/1.8 lens, real sharp and fast.
    > >
    > > I'm an all metal body, but compact with shutter speeds of 30 sec down to
    > > a quick 1/2000. My max-synch speed is only 1/125, but that covers most
    > > situations pretty well.
    > >
    > > I have AF and manual focus modes, and the beginner can choose between P
    > > mode where I'll do the metering and select an aperture and speed that I
    > > think is right. He can shift those as he likes. In my "A" mode (my
    > > favourite) the photographer selects the aperture and I'll compute the
    > > speed for him and set that. I also come with an "S" mode, which is real
    > > handy for sports, danse and other situations where the photogrpaher
    > > would like to create some blur or just guarantee a "freeze-frame". Not
    > > only that, I am a perfectly secure little beginner SLR, and the
    > > photographer can set me to "M" mode and do it all himself.
    > >
    > > All of my settings are in 1/3 stops, and of course I read DX coded film,
    > > but allow the photographer to override it. My exposure compensation
    > > comes in 1/3 stops too.
    > >
    > > And guess what, while I don't have a true "Mirror Lockup" switch, when
    > > you use the timer function (set to 2 or 10 seconds), the mirror swings
    > > up right away, and the shutter releases later, so all the vibration is
    > gone.
    > >
    > > Depth-fo-field preview? of course.
    > >
    > > My meter works in spot and centre-weighted.
    > > I use two type 123 batteries.
    > >
    > > So please suggest the right beginner for me!
    > >
    > > Cheers!

    Gene Guest

  4. #4

    "Dave-id Greiner" <rr.comREMOVE> wrote in message
    Only if they didn't understand the concept of humour

    Tony Guest

  5. #5

    Dave-id Greiner wrote:

    Nah... Queries here need to be able to handle a response density of >
    5.0.....

    Bill Tallman

    William Guest

  6. #6

    Dave-id Greiner wrote:

    Got a couple e-mails too....

    Alan Guest

  7. #7

    Martin Francis wrote:

    Odd, I think I've seen you refer to 123's as expensive a couple times now...

    I shoot on the order of 100 rolls a year and that uses two pairs of
    123's to get there, at about CAD$11.00 per pair, or $22.00 total / year.
    (US$15.00)

    Compared to film + processing, it is a very minor load indeed.

    (Body = Maxxum 9).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Guest

  8. #8

    William D. Tallman wrote:

    > Oh my!! Where do you live in Canada? If I hadn't set up to use AAs, I'd be
    > using 123s as well, and they sure are less expensive in Canada than they
    > are here (western Washington state)
    >
    > Bill Tallman
    >[/ref]

    My dirty secret is a drugstore in a town a km away (I live about 15km
    N. of Montreal). Where everyone else is selling 123's in the $15.99 -
    19.99 (CAD) range, this drugstore sells them (Energizer Lithium) for
    $10.99 for a pair. It is a large chain drugstore and they by gazillions
    of batteries. (No, I do not entrust my developing to them).

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Guest

  9. #9

    Well, I have regular customers (point n shoot owners, as well as slr owners)
    who buy several CR2 or 123s a year, and at 6.99 a shot that's a lot,
    especially when a camera which uses AAs can be fed on a set of 2000MAh or
    higher NiMH or NiCads which, with charger, means 35SRP for a potentially
    much longer battery life.

    And my two cameras at the moment run on six SR44s between them, say 1.00
    each (I save a little on the ETRSi by using a 4SR44), which seldom need
    replacing. My FM3a is running on a set of SR44s I originally bought for my
    F3, more than 18 months ago.

    I think my main issue with CR2, 123 and 2CR5 batteries is the lack of
    rechargeable options, certainly locally.

    --
    Martin
    http://www.btinternet.com/~mcsalty

    Martin Guest

  10. #10

    In article <ca>,
    Alan Browne <ca> wrote:
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >My dirty secret is a drugstore in a town a km away (I live about 15km
    >N. of Montreal). Where everyone else is selling 123's in the $15.99 -
    >19.99 (CAD) range, this drugstore sells them (Energizer Lithium) for
    >$10.99 for a pair. It is a large chain drugstore and they by gazillions
    >of batteries. (No, I do not entrust my developing to them).
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Alan.
    >[/ref]

    If I recall, Target sells CR123's for $11/pair. FAR cheaper than
    than the local photo store.

    --drsmith

    drsmith Guest