Professional Web Applications Themes

Beginner's General Question - ASP.NET General

Hi everyone, I'm a student of ASP.net. Being an ex Perl/CGI programmer who made extra cash making scripts and selling them on the web, I was wondering if one typically uses this format with ASP.net? Do people typically follow the paradigm of making your software and selling the actual scripts/software (as was common with Perl/CGI), or do people typically use this to develop "service" oriented software, such as a developer hosting a client's shopping cart on the developer's server (for a monthly fee)? (Instead of, say, selling the client scripts to install and set up the shopping cart on the ...

  1. #1

    Default Beginner's General Question

    Hi everyone,

    I'm a student of ASP.net. Being an ex Perl/CGI programmer who made extra cash
    making scripts and selling them on the web, I was wondering if one typically
    uses this format with ASP.net? Do people typically follow the paradigm of
    making your software and selling the actual scripts/software (as was common
    with Perl/CGI), or do people typically use this to develop "service" oriented
    software, such as a developer hosting a client's shopping cart on the
    developer's server (for a monthly fee)? (Instead of, say, selling the client
    scripts to install and set up the shopping cart on the client's own server, all
    for a one-time charge.)

    Hope I made the question clear enough, I know I rambled a bit there. Thanks for
    all help!

    John
    Smkmdb1 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Beginner's General Question

    You can certainly write a web site or components using ASP.NET and
    sell it as a product. One of the nice thing with ASP.NET is that you
    can create web custom controls that compiles into a single DLL file.
    You clients can just plug this DLL file into their project, and
    they'll be able to use your control right away. Also, they won't see
    your source code since it is compiled into the DLL file. The web
    custom controls are very similar to ActiveX controls in the Windows
    Application world.

    Tommy,

    Tommy Guest

  3. #3

    That's a concept i haven't quite grasped. Once the person references the DLL
    in their project how do they connect to it?
    If the DLL is like for a discussion forum how can it be referenced from an
    ASPX page in the using project? Where and how is that done?

    "Tommy" <net> wrote in message
    news:<aol.com>... [/ref]
    cash [/ref]
    typically [/ref]
    of [/ref]
    common [/ref]
    oriented [/ref]
    client [/ref]
    server, all [/ref]
    Thanks for [/ref]

    Jason Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Kevin but that doesn't answer the questions.
    Once the person references the DLL in their project how do they connect to
    it?
    If the DLL is like for a discussion forum how can it be referenced from an
    ASPX page in the using project? Where and how is that done?

    We know where it is located...how do you use it once it is there?

    "Kevin Spencer" <com> wrote in message
    are
    > DLL [/ref]
    an
    > > news:<aol.com>... [/ref]
    > extra
    > > typically [/ref][/ref]
    paradigm
    > > common
    > > oriented [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref][/ref]
    the
    > > server, all
    > > Thanks for
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jason Guest

  5. #5

    OK then if I reference the DLL by placing it in the folder. Let's say the
    dll has a control or page class defined. Then all that is necessary to use
    that particular control or page class is to reference it from within a
    project page?

    If so then what would that reference look like in the page making the
    reference? That is the part which is unclear to me. Getting the DLL into the
    project is simple. But if the DLL contains pages and controls of it's own
    how are they used withion the project. An example might be a Discussion
    Forum DLL that was designed and compiled into a DLL. You then reference the
    DLL in the project which will use the the Discussion Forum among other
    items. If the discussion forum DLL defines a page (let's say the entry page
    for the Discussion Forum) how do you go about using that page in the
    project? Is it defined in the class browser and you reference it on a blank
    page? I must be missing something here because I've used DLL's before. I'm
    having difficulty seeing how you can take a complete project ...complile it
    and then use it in another project without being able to see the files as
    you would if you were not working with a DLL.

    "S. Justin Gengo" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    > an [/ref][/ref]
    DLLs [/ref][/ref]
    stored [/ref]
    > the [/ref]
    > from [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref][/ref]
    file. [/ref][/ref]
    see [/ref][/ref]
    Windows [/ref][/ref]
    made [/ref][/ref]
    one
    > > paradigm [/ref]
    > was [/ref]
    > "service" [/ref][/ref]
    on [/ref][/ref]
    selling [/ref]
    > own [/ref]
    > there.
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Jason Guest

  6. #6

    Jason,

    This article might help you out:
    Creating Custom ASP.NET Controls in VS.Net by Susan Warren

    http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/guide/81.aspx

    It's the second article on the page. Click the globe with the red arrow on
    it to download the article / sample code.

    Sincerely,

    --
    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer

    Free code library at:
    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzche

    "Jason (MFT1)" <pls> wrote in message
    the
    the
    page
    blank
    it [/ref]
    click [/ref][/ref]
    connect [/ref][/ref]
    from [/ref]
    > DLLs [/ref]
    > stored [/ref][/ref]
    references
    > > from [/ref][/ref]
    and [/ref]
    > you [/ref]
    > file. [/ref]
    > see [/ref]
    > Windows [/ref]
    > made [/ref]
    > one [/ref][/ref]
    (as
    > > "service" [/ref]
    > on [/ref]
    > selling [/ref][/ref]
    client's
    > > there.
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    S. Guest

  7. #7

    There yah go...that's the piece of the puzzle that was missing! It really is
    no different from using any other controls if you assume that the developer
    of the compiled DLL created a Custom Control and added the visual elements.

    Thanks

    "S. Justin Gengo" <com> wrote in message
    news:phx.gbl... [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    use
    > the [/ref]