Professional Web Applications Themes

beige g3 restarts by itself on shut-down - Mac Applications & Software

I have the original G3 minitower 266mhz. i recently upgraded my hard drive w/ a maxtor 160gb internal. i'm fine with the fact that the mac will only recognize 137gb. but now everytime i shut down, whether it be from the keyboard or special menu(i'm running 9.2, as my g3 cant handle osX)the machine automatically restarts itself. this makes it necessary for me to cut the power at the power strip to keep it off. Anyone know why this happens? ps. after adding ram and trying different ata controller combinations, at start up the computer speaker made the sound of ...

  1. #1

    Default beige g3 restarts by itself on shut-down

    I have the original G3 minitower 266mhz.

    i recently upgraded my hard drive w/ a maxtor 160gb internal. i'm
    fine with the fact that the mac will only recognize 137gb. but now
    everytime i shut down, whether it be from the keyboard or special
    menu(i'm running 9.2, as my g3 cant handle osX)the machine
    automatically restarts itself. this makes it necessary for me to cut
    the power at the power strip to keep it off.

    Anyone know why this happens?

    ps. after adding ram and trying different ata controller
    combinations, at start up the computer speaker made the sound of
    "breaking glass". I vaguely remember hearing something like this
    years ago in another news group.

    Any idea what thats all about? I think its related to the restart
    issue.

    Also, during installation of the drive into different ata controllers,
    i realized that either of the 2 controllers on this motherboard wont
    communicate to 2 harddrives on the same ribbon and ata controller. So
    i cant use my old hard unless i unhook the cd rom drive or get a pci
    card which i'm not going to do.

    any fix for this with original hardware?

    thanks,
    frustrated
    greg Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: beige g3 restarts by itself on shut-down

    In article <google.com>,
    com (greg) wrote:

    Not certain. I had it happen to me once the other day.

    The Beige G3 will run OS X. I'm running it on two right now. A desktop
    266 and another desktop that's been upgraded to a 466MHz G3. The 266 is
    a pit pokey, but I am satisfied with it on the 466. Just need a better
    graphics card for it.

    It's because of the ROM in your machine.

    You can try to find a replacement rev 2 or 3 (sometimes referred to as B
    & C) ROM DIMM and put it in your machine.

    And OS X also fixes this. Have experienced it first hand. It doesn't
    use the built-in ROM that doesn't understand slave devices and provides
    it own information in memory that does. But, if you install OS X on
    that machine, the partition that OS X is on has to be in the first
    physical 8GB of the drive (including any partitioning information).

    Greg B.

    Actual e-mail address is gbuchner and I'm located at mn.rr.com
    Greg Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>, greg
    <com> wrote:

    What version, B or C? That can make a big difference.

    Not sure but I think the beiges can only handle 80GB.

    The "breaking glass" was bad RAM if I remember correctly.

    Back to the version question. If you have a Rev A (Rage II chipset is
    the easiest way to determine) then you can't easily slave two drives on
    the same chain. Rev B and C allows you to do this. I have a beige G3/G4
    hybrid (Rage Pro chipset) and I have two drives on the ATA chain. One
    is the boot drive on ATA 0 and the other is on ATA 1 which is slaved to
    the CD-ROM. Works perfectly. In fact, I had a third drive on the
    internal SCSI chain as well.

    As far as OS 10.x goes, some folks have had success in installing it
    and others haven't on the beige G3's. I am one of the folks who haven't
    had success. However, my machine is so heavily upgraded that I would
    probably need to bring it back to "stock" status before attempting the
    upgrade to OS 10.x again. I'm not ready to do that.

    --
    Deja Moo: I've seen this bull before.

    My address has been anti-spammed.
    Please reply to: net replacing the invalid with sonic.
    Otto Guest