Professional Web Applications Themes

Belkin PCMCIA FireWire card for G3 PB? - Mac Portable

Totday I bought a Belkin PCMCIA FireWire card for G3 Powerbooks but I can't get it working in my G3/300 with OS 9.1 I installed the software, then inserted the card: finder went blanc for a second and told me to restart. Even with more recent s/w witch I got from Apple: same results. Has anyone out there this card working? Can you tell me how you did it? Or what I do wrong? Thanks Johan...

  1. #1

    Default Belkin PCMCIA FireWire card for G3 PB?

    Totday I bought a Belkin PCMCIA FireWire card for G3 Powerbooks but I can't
    get it working in my G3/300 with OS 9.1

    I installed the software, then inserted the card: finder went blanc for a
    second and told me to restart. Even with more recent s/w witch I got from
    Apple: same results.

    Has anyone out there this card working? Can you tell me how you did it? Or
    what I do wrong?

    Thanks

    Johan

    JiP Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Belkin PCMCIA FireWire card for G3 PB?

    in artikel [email]3f5a7f5c.448456news.newsguy.com[/email] schreef H.B. Elkins op
    [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] op 07-09-2003 02:47:
    > JiP <jip-frlxs4all.nl> wrote:
    >
    >> Totday I bought a Belkin PCMCIA FireWire card for G3 Powerbooks but I can't
    >> get it working in my G3/300 with OS 9.1
    >>
    >> I installed the software, then inserted the card: finder went blanc for a
    >> second and told me to restart. Even with more recent s/w witch I got from
    >> Apple: same results.
    >>
    >> Has anyone out there this card working? Can you tell me how you did it? Or
    >> what I do wrong?
    >
    > Make sure you've got the Belkins extensions AND the Apple FW
    > extensions. I used a Belkin FW card with a dongle until the dongle
    > broke. Then I bought one of the same model number, but without a
    > dongle, and it works fine too.
    >
    > I used mine in a 333 mHz Lombard PB, is yours a Wallstreet?
    >
    > You might see if you can get your hands on the upgrade(s) to 9.2.2 and
    > see if that helps.
    I have tried several conficurarions of extensions, the problem is the finder
    sropping for a moment after i have inserted the card. I think if i insert
    the card ecen with the wrong extentions, i should get a message about the
    card and possibly missing extentions and a blanc card icon on the desktop,
    After the finder stopping for a second i get nothin, i have to remove the
    card pressing a paperclip in the little hole next to the cardslot.

    My Powerbook is a wallstreet II, the 300MHz nicknamed PDQ.

    According to Belkin the card should word in any G3 powerbook from 233MHz and
    up, using OS8.6 aor later, It should work with my conficuration.

    The card stopping the finder for a sec and not apearing on the desktop, can
    it be a symptom of a defective card?

    Johan

    JiP Guest

  3. #3

    On 7/9/03 3:40 PM, in article BB809159.1F577%jip-frlxs4all.nl, "JiP"
    <jip-frlxs4all.nl> wrote:
    > in artikel [email]3f5a7f5c.448456news.newsguy.com[/email] schreef H.B. Elkins op
    > [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] op 07-09-2003 02:47:
    >
    >> JiP <jip-frlxs4all.nl> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Totday I bought a Belkin PCMCIA FireWire card for G3 Powerbooks but I can't
    >>> get it working in my G3/300 with OS 9.1
    >>>
    >>> I installed the software, then inserted the card: finder went blanc for a
    >>> second and told me to restart. Even with more recent s/w witch I got from
    >>> Apple: same results.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone out there this card working? Can you tell me how you did it? Or
    >>> what I do wrong?
    >>
    >> Make sure you've got the Belkins extensions AND the Apple FW
    >> extensions. I used a Belkin FW card with a dongle until the dongle
    >> broke. Then I bought one of the same model number, but without a
    >> dongle, and it works fine too.
    >>
    >> I used mine in a 333 mHz Lombard PB, is yours a Wallstreet?
    >>
    >> You might see if you can get your hands on the upgrade(s) to 9.2.2 and
    >> see if that helps.
    >
    > I have tried several conficurarions of extensions, the problem is the finder
    > sropping for a moment after i have inserted the card. I think if i insert
    > the card ecen with the wrong extentions, i should get a message about the
    > card and possibly missing extentions and a blanc card icon on the desktop,
    > After the finder stopping for a second i get nothin, i have to remove the
    > card pressing a paperclip in the little hole next to the cardslot.
    >
    > My Powerbook is a wallstreet II, the 300MHz nicknamed PDQ.
    >
    > According to Belkin the card should word in any G3 powerbook from 233MHz and
    > up, using OS8.6 aor later, It should work with my conficuration.
    >
    > The card stopping the finder for a sec and not apearing on the desktop, can
    > it be a symptom of a defective card?
    >
    > Johan

    I went through a similar situation on my Lombard about this time last year.
    I ended up going through about 2 FW cards, all supposedly compatiable with
    my lombard. Anyway the solution was fustration and eventually giving up.
    After much searching around I have heard everything from there being driver
    changes (particularly when the change from 10.1.5 to 10.2 came about).

    Also the connectors of the cards are generally crap and break or become
    defective more than the firewire cable. So if you have an ability to change
    the cables and connectors do so.

    However the cards eventually gave up even under 9.2.

    My response was to order a PB 17 G4 the second day Steve announced them at
    Mac World.

    Sorry not much help

    Paul

    EmuPooh Nonames Guest

  4. #4

    [email]mperlst216aol.com[/email] (MPerlst216) wrote:
    >you have too many firewire extensions conflicting/ try turning one off at a
    >time to see which one is conflicting. if i recall, i turned off the apple
    >firewire extension.
    In my Lombard, I need both the Apple and Belkin FW extensions. The
    Belkin extensions allow the computer to see the FW card; the Apple
    extensions allow the computer to talk to the card (for lack of better
    terms).
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins -- Beattyville, KY
    [url]http://www.millenniumhwy.net[/url] hbelkins(at)mis.net

    "There's no doubt he's the best race driver in the world."
    --Dale Jarrett, on the late Dale Earnhardt

    Go Big Blue (Kentucky Wildcats)! Go #15 (Michael Waltrip, NAPA Chevy)!

    Vote Ernie Fletcher for Governor of Kentucky! [url]http://www.fletcher2003.com[/url]

    To reply, just remove the restrictorplates...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    H.B. Elkins Guest

  5. #5

    in artikel [email]3f5c816f.205928news.newsguy.com[/email] schreef H.B. Elkins op
    [email]hbelkinsrestrictorplates.mis.net[/email] op 08-09-2003 15:18:
    > [email]mperlst216aol.com[/email] (MPerlst216) wrote:
    >
    >> you have too many firewire extensions conflicting/ try turning one off at a
    >> time to see which one is conflicting. if i recall, i turned off the apple
    >> firewire extension.
    >
    > In my Lombard, I need both the Apple and Belkin FW extensions. The
    > Belkin extensions allow the computer to see the FW card; the Apple
    > extensions allow the computer to talk to the card (for lack of better
    I tried it today, all fire wire extentions of or just tje Belkin extention
    on, both conficurations had no results: after i insert the card the finder
    just go's blank for a second etcetera... but no card mounting on the
    desktop, it has to be removed with a paperclip.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,

    Johan

    JiP Guest