Professional Web Applications Themes

Best book for creating new images and how to print multiple images - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi Cliff, I'm afraid I can't help with part 1 of your question, being relatively new at PE2 myself, but there a those that frequent the group that can. Although, I do get the impression that those tools that are in PE2 are the same as or similar too the tools in full n Photoshop 7. So you may find some help in those books. For part two, from the Menu bar "File -> Print Layouts -> Picture Package..." is the place you want to be. Images on a page can be the same or from different sources. HTH Kyle...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Best book for creating new images and how to print multiple images

    Hi Cliff,

    I'm afraid I can't help with part 1 of your question, being relatively new at PE2 myself, but there a those that frequent the group that can. Although, I do get the impression that those tools that are in PE2 are the same as or similar too the tools in full n Photoshop 7. So you may find some help in those books.

    For part two, from the Menu bar "File -> Print Layouts -> Picture Package..." is the place you want to be. Images on a page can be the same or from different sources.

    HTH

    Kyle
    Kyle White Guest

  2. #2

    Carl, sure.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  3. #3

    Cliff,

    You might as well dig the net to find tutorial on that particular subject.
    Run a search through [url]www.google.ca[/url] for "Photoshop Tutorial" - you're sure to
    get dozens of pages, full of links.

    Now, you might think "Well, Photoshop isn't Photoshop Elements". True, but
    Elements shares about 75% of the Photoshop and almost every tutorial I've
    seen may be converted for Elements. Almost, but not all.

    If you find something of value, but are unsure about wether or not it will
    work with Elements, post the link here. You're almost sure to get an expert
    around to tell you if it will work, or how to make it work for Elements.
    Besides, it's always fun to try something new for us, members of this group!

    You might also take a look at Grant's links page :
    [url]http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/Links.html[/url] It's full or suprises, each
    more fun than the others :)

    Hope this helps,

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for everyone's input. I'll keep looking for books/tutorials that focus more on creating images from scratch.

    Just so you know what I'm referring to (as I don't know if I'm explaining myself well), here's links to a couple of images that folks created, supposedly with Photoshop and/or similar software, that are available for wallpapers. These are the kinds of images I'd like to learn to produce using PSE...

    <http://skins.stardock.com/adni18/wallpapers/Seedsprev.jpg>

    <http://skins.stardock.com/adni18/wallpapers/RedSea-Thedolphinprev.jpg>

    <http://skins.stardock.com/adni18/wallpapers/WayOutPrev.jpg>
    Cliff Bickel Guest

  5. #5

    Cliff

    Your second image looks like it was done with Bryce {Corel}. Bryce's price has dropped to about 80 dollars and works well with photoshop to make 3D imagery.

    On the book, most art books can be used for digital art even if they were not writtin for it. I use art books out of my library that were done bc [before computers] with little problem converting to digital tools. Principles of art don't change much. Go to a good library.

    Steve
    Steven Reno Guest

  6. #6

    Steve,

    I am familiar with Bryce, owning a copy myself. But one of the reasons I chose these particular images is because the author of them, who did all three, is kind of known for producing these wallpapers in Photoshop. So while I can't guarantee that Bryce, or some other 3-D/environment software, wasn't used, I don't believe it was. And that was part of my point with these images...how do you manage to get such neat looking designs, surfaces, textures, lighting, etc. out of PSE?

    And I'm not sure you understood my question about what book to get...I'm not looking for general "art" books, at least I don't think I am. I'm looking for something that would for instance, step-by-step, show how to build the sweeping, overlapping, seemingly transparent-glass shaded, colored components that are in the first and 3rd images, or how to use PSE to create the water surface in the 2nd image (assuming that was Photoshop-built). I want something that's specific to PSE, or perhaps Photoshop, that gives this kind of instruction. I can find numerous books on PSE that give detailed steps on exactly how to "remove red-eye", or "remove scratches and convert to sepia-toned" existing photographs. Those books tell which tool, what settings, what kind of layer, etc., etc. to use to do these rather mundane (to me, anyway) chores in PSE. I'd like to get something that gave me the same level of detail and instruction on creating something in PSE just like those images I linked to. I don't think an art book from the library is going to do that. If there is one though, please point me to it.
    Cliff Bickel Guest

  7. #7

    Cliff

    I'm with you in that I don't want another book to 'remove redeye' either. You might checkout amazon for graphic art or graphic design books.

    I have always tried to get people to use their local libraries, sorry about that. If you find a book to make those images in PSE I want one too!

    Maybe you could create your images and have your problems solved using the experts here like Jodi and Jay A. If they can't do it nobody can.

    Steve
    Steven Reno Guest

  8. #8

    Here is a quick method for creating some 3D shapes in Elements. On a new layer draw a circle with the elliptical marquee (hold down shift to constrain to a circle). Fill with any color. Keep selected and apply a lens flare (filter>render>lensflare). Spherize the shape (filter>distort>spherize). You may want to apply spherize a couple of times, you can use the history palette to step back if necessary. And if you like you can apply a drop shadow.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  9. #9

    Beth, you're absolutely right! And, I want a signed copy !!!!!!! :)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  10. #10

    Agreed! So get going, Jodi 8^)

    Cliff, the best book I know of for using photoshop as a drawing program is Photoshop Studio by Bert Monroy <http://www.bertmonroy.com>. It's pretty high level and not as Elements-adaptable as some photoshop books, but it's a great reference. His work is amazing (although Jodi gains on him every day.)
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  11. #11

    edit; thanks Ray

    edit; thanks Barb

    you guys are the best
    Jodi Frye Guest

  12. #12

    what if PE3 comes out with a whole new engine

    Then you have some editing to do, Jodi. But it's much easier to edit something that you've already begun than it is to do it the first time through. Getting started is always the hardest part, no matter what your project is.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  13. #13

    Jodi,

    There's an idea. Some books are just too complicated, some others are just
    too basic. None seem to cover all. You could make a two part book - part I
    "Welcome to PSE" and Part II "Let's have more fun with PSE".

    You might as well get in touch with Adobe and see if you could become a beta
    tester for PSE 3 and, in the mean time, start writing your book ? I was
    once a beta tester for IE 2.0 and IE 3.0 When it got out, I was immediately
    able to help in areas where problem would most often come out. It sure was
    fun :)

    Finally, if the tools change, your tutorial will only need adaptation.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  14. #14

    Hi Cliff, The Red Sea one! Wow, would I love to be able to do a picture like that someday. I wonder if it could be done with Elements.
    Those are like the fractal pictures. Let us know how, if, maybe.
    Thanks for the links.
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  15. #15

    Cliff,

    Learning what the tools in PSE can do by themselves and in conjunction with with others and the effects using different layers is simply a must. As the "All Wise and Knowing Jodi said. Practice, practice, do, do, do and oh yes. PRACTICE!! This morning I sat down with no particular image in mind. Started with a black layer, painted some white blobs on it. Then used the liquefy tool. What I came away with was an image that resembled black water with highlighted ripples and swirls. I was really quite amazed how good it looked and wondered how to use that technique or add to it. Just have fun with it and with a little imagination you will creating the images you are looking for. Go for man.

    Terry
    Terry Boyles Guest

  16. #16

    Hi Jodi, Put me on the list for your book too! Your work is wonderful, and you could indeed write a PSE book with all the neat effects that you make PSE do.
    I would love to be able to do something like that Red Sea picture(the second one), it just fascinated me. My imagination runs wild with what I could do with a blue-green sea with lighting above and under, planets hanging low over the sea, on and on. I can just close my eyes and see it. I am learning as fast as time will allow, and would just love to be someday as advanced as you, and be able to make these wonderful pictures!
    And thanks, Cliff for posting those 3 super images, they sure are an inspiration!
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest