Professional Web Applications Themes

Best digital camera for closeups - Photography

I would like to know which is the best digital camera out there in $300-$600 range to be used primarily for closeups (well it will be used as a general purpose camera also) The closeups are needed by medical professional for use in research etc. (these need to be real close sometimes like just an eye/a nail etc. and needs to be in high resolution. ) I was looking at Nikon Coolpix 4500 but it looks like Nikon is discontinuing this camera. Any idea why? I thought the swivel feature would be handy while taking such photos. Any other camera ...

  1. #1

    Default Best digital camera for closeups

    I would like to know which is the best digital camera out there in $300-$600
    range to be used primarily for closeups (well it will be used as a general
    purpose camera also)

    The closeups are needed by medical professional for use in research etc.
    (these need to be real close sometimes like just an eye/a nail etc. and
    needs to be in high resolution. )

    I was looking at Nikon Coolpix 4500 but it looks like Nikon is discontinuing
    this camera. Any idea why? I thought the swivel feature would be handy while
    taking such photos. Any other camera that can work better for such an use?

    Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

    Thanks for your time!

    Nikhil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best digital camera for closeups

    Look at the Nikon 5400, a brand new model with incredible close up
    capability, as well as the ability to have an external flash, as the
    on-camera flash will be no good in close ups. In any case, even an external
    flash will be hard to use unless you have a cord that allows it off-camera.
    Canon makes such a cord, I don't know about Nikon.
    Roger

    Roger Guest

  3. #3

    Just ordered a 4500 from amazon for $400. They have others for
    a little more than that..
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B000069096/all/ref=dp_pb_a/103-3062204-8602258

    You may have to splice the URL together in the address box.
    Gene http://www.photoprojects.net

    ZZ@fake.not Guest

  4. #4

    Lighting for medical photography, especially close-up medical photography,
    is very problematic. If this is an important function of the camera, then
    TTL flash metering is crucial. In that regard, I would suggest the Olympus
    5050 with their FL40 TTL flash. I have used my Olympus OM2 and OM4 with TTL
    flash and the appropriate lenses for medical photography for years and TTL
    flash metering is the only way to go.

    HMc

    "Nikhil Deo" <Del_Me_nikhil_deoh.otmaildotcom> wrote in message
    $300-$600
    discontinuing
    while

    Howard Guest

  5. #5

    Howard,
    I've been taking some photos of skin lesions and such. I find that a good
    bright tungsten light about 3-4 feet away, works well, setting the white
    balance on the camera accordingly. Flash without a softener like a big
    bounce from lumiquest.com or something like that, is just too harsh.
    Roger

    Roger Guest

  6. #6

    That's a good way to do it. The best set up is a TTL metering ring flash on
    a macro lens, but I don't think there is anything like that for a reasonably
    priced digital camera. I have had good luck with the the Oly 5050 and fl40
    with diffuser. The metering seems quite good and you don't even have to use
    macro mode; you can just zoom in tight from about 3 feet away--seems to
    handle the flash better. Having said that, we also have used the method you
    describe on a regular digital camera and it also works well.

    Since we have a lot of people taking pictures of such lesions, we wanted to
    keep it as point-and-shoot as possible, hence the Oly.

    HMc

    "Roger" <com> wrote in message

    Howard Guest