Professional Web Applications Themes

Best digital camera for about $1000? - Photography

I want optical zoom (nothing special though) and the ability to change the focal centre would be nice. 3MP would be OK, but more might be better, although I've heard mixed reports? It'll be used for several different sorts of photos, eg. - tourist scenery - houses for sale - theatrical productions - portraits - sports events Am I best to get a brand-spanking new model, or is it OK to go for one that's been out for a while? Which models should I be looking at? Also, where is the best place to buy from? Online, Ted's, JB, etc? ...

  1. #1

    Default Best digital camera for about $1000?

    --
    Stephen Oakes

    Stephen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best digital camera for about $1000?

    In article <Nft7b.91752$bigpond.net.au>,
    "Stephen Oakes" <net.au> wrote:

    Ok; I will be nice to you just this once and help you with your
    homework;
    Google Is Your Friend.
    Pick a thread, any thread, from here, in the past ooohhh...fortnight.
    Here is a start:
    http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=digital+camera+%241000+group:aus.pho
    to+group:aus.photo&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=aus.photo&sa=G&scoring=d

    http://groups.google.com.au/groups?as_q=buying%20online&as_epq=aus.photo&
    safe=images&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_ugroup=aus.photo&lr=&as_scoring=d&hl=en

    And, because I have psychic abilities I shall even save you the trouble
    of having to ask your next inevitable question in a few weeks time:
    http://groups.google.com.au/groups?q=online+printing+group:aus.photo&hl=e
    n&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=aus.photo&scoring=d

    Narelle Guest

  3. #3

    "Narelle" <com> wrote...

    Thanks for being nice to me!!!

    Unfortunately, none of those threads answers all the specific questions I
    was asking. Sure, I could wade through thousands of threads in this
    newsgrope and probably find most of the answers, but I was hoping someone
    with recent experience might be able to help. I'm still hoping!

    Yes it is, but unfortunately, aus.photos is not.

    No thanks - I'm not interested in printing my photos. Let me know if you
    need any help tuning your psychic abilities!

    --
    Stephen Oakes

    Stephen Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 00:14:19 GMT, "Stephen Oakes"
    <net.au> wrote:

    >Thanks for being nice to me!!!
    >
    >Unfortunately, none of those threads answers all the specific questions I
    >was asking. Sure, I could wade through thousands of threads in this
    >newsgrope and probably find most of the answers, but I was hoping someone
    >with recent experience might be able to help. I'm still hoping![/ref]

    They may not answer them in the format you want - ie: spoon fed, line
    by line, direct answers to your limited questioning - but they are all
    there.

    >Yes it is, but unfortunately, aus.photos is not.[/ref]

    [shrug] if that's the attitude, then go to www.dpreview.com and look
    for yourself - plenty of reviews, comments, etc. But I'll warn you
    up front, they don't present it in the format you're after either -
    you'll still have to do some work :)

    >No thanks - I'm not interested in printing my photos. Let me know if you
    >need any help tuning your psychic abilities![/ref]

    My psychic abilities tell me that one day you'll want to print your
    photos, and that the advice given will be of benefit.

    Cheers
    Andrew :o)

    Andrew Guest

  5. #5

    Stephen

    Check the prices at
    www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au
    They're one of the cheapest online suppliers,
    and have a good reputation.

    The Nikon Coolpix range are nice cameras.
    The 4500 is $1158 (if your budget can stretch a little further),
    has 4mp and a 4x optical zoom.
    The swivel body is great for ground-level shots
    or shooting above crowds.

    Check the reviews at
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp4500/
    and
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/nikon4500.html

    MM

    "Stephen Oakes" <net.au> wrote in message

    max Guest

  6. #6

    "Andrew Hennell" <com.au.com> wrote...

    There are 3875 articles in aus.photo on my news server. That's what I meant
    when I said aus.photo is not my friend. It is not focussed enough to
    provide useful information to the casual browser. Sorry if you don't like
    "the attitude".

    --
    Stephen Oakes

    Stephen Guest

  7. #7

    "max morrison" wrote...

    Thanks.

    Does anybody know of a site that does side-by-side comparisons of similarly
    spec'd models?

    Yep, I'm looking into them.

    This is the sort of information I am after. The answers to questions I
    haven't even thought to ask!

    Are there any more features that people have found useful?
    --
    Stephen Oakes

    Stephen Guest

  8. #8

    "Stephen Oakes" <net.au> wrote in message
    news:Xqv7b.91855$bigpond.net.au... [/ref]
    reputation.
    similarly

    Try http://www.imaging-resource.com/CAMDB/compare_cameras.php

    Have a look at the pros and cons, according to dpreview --
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp4500/page19.asp

    I used to own a Coolpix 990. The macro was pretty amazing.
    The 4500 is probably as good or better. You can get within 2cm of the
    subject.

    MM

    max Guest

  9. #9

    The focus confirmation (LCD live view sharpening) option of the
    4500 is handy. Makes it easy to see when an object's in focus by
    exaggerating its sharpness on the LCD (but not in the final photo).

    MM

    max Guest

  10. #10

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 01:49:43 GMT, "Stephen Oakes"
    <net.au> wrote:

    As I said before, gp to www.dpreview.com :o)

    See! There are questions (and answers) you haven't thought of yet.

    (and google will help you cut down those thousands of posts into neat,
    ordered threads answering the question's your asking.)

    I've found groups.google.com & dpreview.com _very_ helpful with
    researching camera! [grin]

    Features vs. Cost vs. Quality - pick any 2, although sometimes that's
    asking too much also!

    Andrew Guest

  11. #11

    I reckon the Fuji S5000Z is a fine item in that price range ... from
    memory 10x optical zoom and about $850 at dirtcheapcamera.com.au .. This
    would give more than satisfactory 8x10 prints (probably even a little
    larger)

    Graham

    Graham Guest

  12. #12

    the canon s50 & s45 seem to go down well
    "Graham" <com> wrote in message
    news:bjm4hd$157g$netspace.net.au... [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    buy

    >[/ref]

    Andy Guest

  13. #13

    In article <xkv7b.91851$bigpond.net.au>,
    "Stephen Oakes" <net.au> wrote:

    > There are 3875 articles in aus.photo on my news server. That's what I meant
    > when I said aus.photo is not my friend. It is not focussed enough to
    > provide useful information to the casual browser. Sorry if you don't like
    > "the attitude".
    >
    > --
    > Stephen Oakes
    >
    >[/ref]

    If you had looked at the url's I posted, I narrowed your 3875 down to
    about 300, or about 10 minutes browsing.
    However, for under $1000.00 you are not going to get a digicam that will
    take you from a dark theatre to a fast sports event to a portrait.
    If you don't want to print, as claimed, go for less pixels and spend the
    change on spare/rechargable batteries, and on more memory.
    Narelle Guest

  14. #14

    Andrew Hennell <com.au.com> wrote in

    <snip>

    I have been using my wifes digital camera for 18 months or so and have yet
    found the need to print anything. I transfer to DVD for playback via my
    DVDV player on my TV, have pics on my Pocket PC, email them and look at
    them on my PC. Welcome to the electronic age... :) not all of us want to
    use dead trees to view our pics :)

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor Guest

  15. #15

    "Stephen Oakes" <net.au> wrote in

    <snip>

    I don't use a viewfinder (find it inconvenient) at all, an LCD
    is necessary for me (and one reason I won't go dSLR until they
    come up with a way of previewing a live image on the LCD screen,
    that size and cost, althought framing is not as good of course) :)

    With either a swivel lens or swivel screen it gives you a lots of
    options when taking pics ie from angles that with a view finder
    were very difficult.

    Maybe a Fuji S5000, or 602 (might be more then you want to pay)
    might be worth a look ?

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs5000.asp?dontcount=1

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor Guest

  16. #16

    "Narelle" <com> wrote ...

    I did look at them (I had already conducted a similar search). Thanks, but
    they did not answer all my questions.

    Thanks, that is the sort of thing I was trying to find out. BTW, what does
    "digicam" stand for? Obviously "digital camera", but I thought it applies
    more to digital video cameras? If not, what are they referred to as?

    I still want good picture quality so that I have more information available
    when I come to process images on my PC. I'm not sure what memory comes
    standard. As I will be storing my photos on my PC, hopefully I won't need
    extra, but it's something to keep in mind.

    --
    Stephen Oakes

    Stephen Guest

  17. #17

    i have just got a nikon 4500 to replace my stolen 990 and the 270' swivel is
    most convenient.

    otherwise, a camera is a camera.
    go for the best lens you can afford witht the most Mp

  18. #18

    Hi Stephen,

    I'd suggest a Canon G3... I can supply one for $998 including GST,
    brand new, from Canon Australia (as opposed to an import...)

    I'm not about to do your research for you - if you'd like to talk
    about the G3, give me a call at work on 08 8332 5327, and we can do
    all the 'why do I recommend it' stuff the easy way, rather than me
    typing it all out yet again... I can tell you why *I* would want a G3
    compared to other brands/models too...

    Cheers,
    Stuart Elflett
    Dataman Pty Ltd

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:21:17 GMT, "Stephen Oakes"

    Stuart Guest

  19. #19

    "Trevor S" <com> wrote in message > Maybe a Fuji S5000, or 602
    (might be more then you want to pay)
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs5000.asp?dontcount=1
    Trevor I have to agree with the S5000, I have had excellent results with the
    Fuji S304 which is similar to the S5000. I would recommend bigger memory, I
    have 128 meg which allows 298 frames at 3.1 megapixels and upto 998 at 0.3
    megapixels.

    Bludge.

    Bludge Guest

  20. #20

    I dont even have a digital yet (love my T90 too much) but the $885 in
    Melbourne for the G3 is I think as of today unbeatable and is very very
    tempting! reviews generally say that 'quality' between it and G5 is
    negligible until you head towards A3 - and who does that all the
    time??

    Melbourne site here:

    http://www.cameraaction.com.au/dept2.asp?dept=3

    --