Professional Web Applications Themes

Best Digital for Capture Speed - Photography

I don't know what the rigth terminology for this is, but it's time for me to buy a digital camera, I think, and the one thing that drives me BATTY about the ones I've used is the lag time between pressing the button and taking the picture. I've been cruising specs for various cameras and I think I'm looking for capture interval or capture speed, but I'm not sure. I've read in a user review, however, that what increases this speed is the CPU in the camera. Great. I have yet to find any camera specs that include this information. ...

  1. #1

    Default Best Digital for Capture Speed

    I don't know what the rigth terminology for this is, but it's time for
    me to buy a digital camera, I think, and the one thing that drives me
    BATTY about the ones I've used is the lag time between pressing the
    button and taking the picture. I've been cruising specs for various
    cameras and I think I'm looking for capture interval or capture speed,
    but I'm not sure.

    I've read in a user review, however, that what increases this speed is
    the CPU in the camera. Great. I have yet to find any camera specs
    that include this information. The review I read was for the Minolta
    Dimage s414 and it's in my price range. Anyone have any opinions or
    knowledge about this camera and what else I might look at to suit my
    needs?

    Thanks!

    --
    BrandyAlexandre®
    http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best Digital for Capture Speed

    Brandy Alexandre <org> wrote:

    "Shutter lag"

    --
    http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto:inquisitori.am | Ian Stirling.
    The fight between good and evil, an epic battle. Darth vader and Luke,

  3. #3

    Ian Stirling <demon.co.uk>, with thought and calculation,
    said in rec.photo.digital:

    > "Shutter lag"
    >[/ref]

    I'm not sure I saw any terminology of "shutter lag" in product specs,
    either. I know that is what it is, but not technically what it's
    called. :)

  4. #4

    Get a digital SLR: my camera can take 21 high quality JPG photos in
    about 21 seconds or 14 RAW images in 5 seconds. This fills up the
    buffer and then they have to be written to the CF card.

    I've had both a Canon G2 and a Nikon 5700 and they both were
    intolerable especially compare to my film SLR that took 8 frames a
    second. I don't think that any point and shoot is capable of a decent
    response time.

    JP

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:18:39 -0000, "BrandyAlexandre"

    J.D. Guest

  5. #5

    J.D. Parker <ca>, with thought and calculation,
    said in rec.photo.digital:

    I look at a couple, but they're out of my price range. I really can't
    spend more than $400. The Minolta I looked at was $340. It touts a
    1.8 second recovery and the guy who reviewed said the lag time was
    really short, but I can't find specs on other cameras to compare. The
    was a comment that you couldn't see the image to manually focus, which
    could be a problem, but mostly I need to get a camera now because I'm
    packing and moving and I want to photograph my stuff and the apartment
    I'm leaving and the apartment I'm moving into. It's probably best to
    have a good digital for this, and of course other things like
    inflicting the net with picture of my cat and stuff. :)

  6. #6

    On 7/19/03 1:09 PM, in article 168.3.50,
    "BrandyAlexandre" <org?> wrote:

    >> "Shutter lag"
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > I'm not sure I saw any terminology of "shutter lag" in product specs,
    > either. I know that is what it is, but not technically what it's
    > called. :)[/ref]
    Hey you're not the "real" Brandy Alexandre are you?!?
    No wait, that was Brandy Alexander, wasn't it?
    ;-)

    George Guest

  7. #7

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:18:39 -0000, "BrandyAlexandre"
    <org> wrote:

    The reviews at www.imaging-resource.com include a section on how much
    time the camera takes to do certain tasks. Here is the page from the
    older S404. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S404/S44A7.HTM

    lil Guest

  8. #8

    I have the older but virtually identical Minolta S404. In general, I like the
    camera a lot; it's my first digital camera. As for the lag between pressing
    the button and capturing the picture, the largest component seems to be
    the focus time.

    In most consumer level digital cameras in "auto" mode, after the button
    is pressed, the camera determines the focus, sets the white ballance,
    etc... before capturing the picture. This can take a little time. After the
    picture has been captured, the information must be written to memory,
    and this can take some time as well. Time taken writing to memory can
    be a major contributor to how quickly you can take subsequent shots
    with the camera.

    Now, comparing to friend's cameras, the S404 doesn't seem any slower,
    and the speed seems generally fine to me. Still, particularly in low light
    situations, I've seen the autofocus hunt for a second or two. The S404
    (and S414) have a good 32MB of internal RAM. After the camera has
    captured a picture, the info gets written to RAM first, and then written from
    RAM to the FLASH card. What this means is that there is virtually no
    inter-shot delay waiting for the picture to be saved, *UNLESS* the RAM
    is filled. The only way I've ever accomplished this is to use the Burst mode
    which keeps taking pictures as long as the button is depressed. Three
    pictures can be taken in rapid succession, with a 1-2 second delay before
    the fourth and subsequent can be taken.

    As far as dimishing the intial lag, there are some things that work for all
    cameras in this class:

    Prefocus by depressing the button halfway to get autofocus locked. From
    half-press to picture is virtually lag free.
    Manual focus. There will be no focus lag.
    Manually set white ballance (and anything else), though focus is the most
    important as far as lag.

    Oh. Lastly, to decrease shot-to-shot time, turn off the "review the last shot
    taken" feature. I always leave this off and use the "Quick View" when I want
    to check what I've just shot.

    In summary, I like the camera. I've shot some 500 or so pictures over the
    last 6 months. Using 4MP, 8.5 x 11 photos printed on my lowly 4 color
    Epson 880 are more than acceptable for any kind of home use.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "Then she opened up a book of poems / And handed it to me
    Written by an Italian poet / From the thirteenth century.
    And every one of them words rang true / And glowed like burnin' coal
    Pourin' off of every page / Like it was written in my soul
    from me to you / Tangled up in blue."

    Dan Guest

  9. #9

    "BrandyAlexandre" <org> writes:

    Look for the Ricoh Caplio RR30 or Ricoh Caplio G3 (not to be confused
    with the Canon G3).

    No. The lag is caused by the slow autofocus system used in most
    consumer digicams. The AF system used in film cameras is much faster
    but would add a few dollars to the manufacturing cost of a digicam, so
    most makers don't use it. The two Ricoh models I mentioned are among
    the few that use the faster system.

    Another approach if you want a lower cost camera is to get a fixed
    focus model (no AF at all). Because of the short focal length of
    digicam lenses, no-AF actually works pretty well as long as you don't
    want to take close-ups. If you get a Fuji A101 then everything from
    about 3 feet to infinity should be in focus, the camera costs $150
    or less, and has very little shutter lag.

    Paul Guest

  10. #10

    Dan Wojciechowski <com>, with thought and calculation,
    said in rec.photo.digital:

    Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful response. I think I made the
    right choice for the price, since this will be my first, too. I still
    like and prefer film, but I'm just not that good at it. I don't think
    I care much about shot-to-shot, just getting the shot I press the
    shutter button for, not the one that comes two seconds later. ;) I'll
    train on this camera and probably look to the other recommendations in
    the future, but I'm sure by then everything will have changed and I
    have to research all over again.