Professional Web Applications Themes

Best DSLR - Photography

Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under $1000? Then, what would be the best, (cost considered) lens? tia...

  1. #1

    Default Best DSLR

    Anyone have an opinion on what is the best DSLR (body only) for under $1000?

    Then, what would be the best, (cost considered) lens?

    tia

    Cody Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Best DSLR

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 21:52:56 GMT, Cody Dawg <net> wrote:

    Almost certainly. :-)

    The answer would differ depending on your needs.

    As for the body, if that were my budget, I'd take a good hard look
    at the Canon EOS-350D, speaking as someone who has no large investment
    in any existing system.

    --
    Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
    --Josh Micah Marshall

  3. #3

    Canon 350D

    Chuck Guest

  4. #4

    Canon 350D.

    G.T. Guest

  5. #5

    Just saw your lens request. There are way too many lenses out there to
    pick a lens. It depends on what your usage will be. I have a Tamron
    24-135 on my camera most of the time but I can't say that it is the
    best choice. It works for me. I also use a Canon 35 f/2 a lot.

    If you're worried about cost then use the 300D/20D/350D kit lens. I
    used it on my 300D for over a year.

    But regarding the camera, again, 350D unless someone else comes out
    with new sub-$1000 DSLRs soon.

    Greg

    G.T. Guest

  6. #6

    "Cody Dawg" <net> wrote

    The Canon 350D or 300D depending on how much under $1000 you want to go.

    That $1000 includes the kit zoom lens which, on a price/performance ratio,
    is quite good.

    jfitz Guest

  7. #7

    Cody Dawg wrote:

    This is asked a lot. The answer is it depends. It's a personal choice as
    much as anything else.

    Your main choices are the Nikon D70, Canon 300D, and Canon 350D.

    The Canon 350D is an update on the 300D, but not a replacement. It's the
    lowest entry into a dSLR right now. The Canon 350D is new and will hit
    shelves later this month, so it is unproven and unknown. The 350D is 8
    MP while the others are 6 MP; this shouldn't matter to most people (and
    the extra processing the 350D does to compensate makes me a little
    concerned about the "naturalness" of the images). The canon 300D is slow
    to boot and slow between shots.

    Read the reviews <http://dpreview.com>, take a look at some pictures by
    the cameras your interested in <http://www.pbase.com/cameras>, and then
    head over to your local camera shop to try them out and see how they fit
    your hand, how the controls feel, etc.

    Randy.
    Randy Guest

  8. #8

    In article <YM4Wd.1420$news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    Cody Dawg <net> wrote:

    There aren't that many candidates: Canon 350D/300D, Nikon D70, Pentax *ist-DS.

    Head down to your local camera shop, and try them.
    (A side-by-side comparison tells you quite a lot).
    If any one of them seems much better to you, buy it.
    Otherwise, if there's no obvious reason not to, buy
    the 350D once it hits the store shelves.

    That's impossible to answer; it's far too broad a question.

    Consider the kit lens the manufacturer offers with the body;
    that's often a good general-purpose lens.

    John Guest

  9. #9

    "John Francis" <com> wrote in message

    > There aren't that many candidates: Canon 350D/300D, Nikon D70, Pentax
    > *ist-DS.
    >
    > Head down to your local camera shop, and try them.
    > (A side-by-side comparison tells you quite a lot).
    > If any one of them seems much better to you, buy it.
    > Otherwise, if there's no obvious reason not to, buy
    > the 350D once it hits the store shelves.

    > That's impossible to answer; it's far too broad a question.
    >
    > Consider the kit lens the manufacturer offers with the body;
    > that's often a good general-purpose lens.
    >
    >[/ref]
    Olympus E-300

    eds Guest

  10. #10

    In article <com>,
    "Randy W. Sims" <org> wrote:

    Ignoring the increase from 6MP on the dRebel 300D to 8MP on the new 350D, the
    use of Canon's newest processor, Digic II, on the 350D would be the BEST
    reason to select that model.

    This same processor is used on the "new" 20D. It's fast and it's good - as
    one would expect from a "next generation" processor.

    Compensate for what? The added 2 megapixels? If yes, it's a non-issue
    considering the newer processor.

    :)
    JR
    Jim Guest

  11. #11

    Cody Dawg wrote:

    Do what I did, take a CF card down to a good camera store, take several
    different cameras outside one at a time and shoot. Then go home and make
    prints (or have them made in the size you normally do) and decide which
    looks best to your taste. Then consider what kind of shooting you do most
    and look at them from that point of view as far as what ISO needs you would
    have etc. I consider ergonomics and how the camera works/feels to my way of
    thinking is important and also if there are lenses that cover what I shoot,
    preferably as few as posible to cover this range, that I can afford that
    are also =high= quality.

    I could tell you what I chose to use but that wouldn't mean you would like
    it. Lots of people will tell you "buy this or that", only you can decide if
    what they consider as being the most important features fit your meeds like
    it does theirs. Also looking at 100% crops to decide "image quality" is
    silly IMHO, look at the final results you will be looking at in the size
    you'll normally be producing and judge from that. I'm sure I'll get flamed
    -again- for sugesting this instead of just posting "Buy a _____"? :-)

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  12. #12

    eds wrote:

    >> There aren't that many candidates: Canon 350D/300D, Nikon D70, Pentax
    >> *ist-DS.
    >>[/ref][/ref]

    Hope you're wearing nomex.. ;-)

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  13. #13

    I don't know. It made me laugh.

    G.T. Guest

  14. #14

    As nearly everyone else has stated, the short answer is that it's
    probably the EOS-350D digital Rebel, though I would wait a couple of
    months so you don't get the first production.

    Check out "http://digitalslrinfo.com" though there is no sorting by
    price.

    Scharf-DCA Guest

  15. #15

    "Scharf-DCA" <com> a écrit dans le message de

    your kidding right ?

    Chuck Guest

  16. #16

    "Chuck" <com> wrote in message
    I am surprised people are voting for a camera nobody has yet! THis is hype
    gone wild. I would wait until people actually use the camera before I would
    make a statement like that. All I know is the 350D is about the same size
    and weight as the Pentax *ist DS. I won't see on in the store for about 2
    weeks.

    In September people felt the same way for the 20D.

    Darrell Guest

  17. #17

    "Chuck" <com> wrote in message

    > your kidding right ?
    >[/ref]
    I guess you mean "you're kidding" Sound advice, wait until you see what the
    bugs are. The 20D still has some bugs, like vertical bands in flash photos.

    Darrell Guest

  18. #18

    > Scharf-DCA <com> wrote:

    Or just wait for the EOS-400D Mk II :-)

    It generally suffices to wait for a critical mass
    of early [retail] end user reports, and/or wait
    for the first promotion or price drop. If Nikon
    can field a competitor, expect Canon price action.

    I wouldn't be surprised if Canon offers another
    kit configuration this year as well. Given the
    target consumer, a zoom with a wider range might
    have some appeal.

    --
    Regards, Bob Niland mailto:tld
    Bob Guest

  19. #19

    Scharf-DCA wrote:

    Then you should wait a few more months till the EOS-400D is out. :-)
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey Guest

  20. #20

    Stacey wrote:

    > Then you should wait a few more months till the EOS-400D is out. :-)[/ref]
    Hi,
    Then wait for few more month for EOS-450D, LOL. He who waits never get
    anything.
    Tony
    Tony Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast