Professional Web Applications Themes

best osx newsreader? - Mac Networking

I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please. Thanks in advance rw...

  1. #1

    Default best osx newsreader?

    I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.

    Thanks in advance
    rw

    Robin Wade Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: best osx newsreader?

    In article <olednZWMzfH3ZWSjXTWJhgcomcast.com>, Robin Wade
    <waderobinmac.com> wrote:
    > I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.
    I really like Thoth. You can get it from [url]http://www.thothsw.com/[/url] if
    you'd like to try it out. It's shareware. For my needs, it's ideal,
    but there are many newsreaders out there, so it pays to try them out to
    see which fits you best.

    I'd start here:

    [url]http://www.newsreaders.com/mac/clients.html[/url]

    Scroll about 2/3 of the way down for the OSX Newsreaders category.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=

  3. #3

    In article <olednZWMzfH3ZWSjXTWJhgcomcast.com>,
    Robin Wade <waderobinmac.com> wrote:
    > I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.
    Multithreaded Newswatcher (MT-NW) is -the- best. IMO.

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard S Shubs Guest

  4. #4

    In article <250620031548487308%garnernetstreet.net>,
    Garner Miller <garnernetstreet.net> wrote:
    > I really like Thoth. You can get it from [url]http://www.thothsw.com/[/url] if
    As long as you don't mind that by buying it you're helping the author of
    some components of it cheat the license on the source code he admitted
    to using -- until, of course, it was pointed out that he was cheating
    the license.
    Steven Fisher Guest

  5. #5

    In article <howard-EBB37F.20204825062003enews.newsguy.com>,
    Howard S Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    > In article <olednZWMzfH3ZWSjXTWJhgcomcast.com>,
    > Robin Wade <waderobinmac.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.
    >
    > Multithreaded Newswatcher (MT-NW) is -the- best. IMO.
    Ditto.

    Scott
    asahitoro@nospam.com Guest

  6. #6

    In article <MNSdnfE6UNwVymejXTWcrggiganews.com>, [email]asahitoronospam.com[/email]
    wrote:
    > In article <howard-EBB37F.20204825062003enews.newsguy.com>,
    > Howard S Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <olednZWMzfH3ZWSjXTWJhgcomcast.com>,
    > > Robin Wade <waderobinmac.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.
    > >
    > > Multithreaded Newswatcher (MT-NW) is -the- best. IMO.
    >
    > Ditto.
    Mee Too!

    --
    Bob R. Kenyon
    Beautiful Downtown San Jose, CA

  7. #7

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:48:48 -0500, Garner Miller wrote
    (in message <250620031548487308%garnernetstreet.net>):
    > In article <olednZWMzfH3ZWSjXTWJhgcomcast.com>, Robin Wade
    > <waderobinmac.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.
    >
    > I really like Thoth.
    Thoth is based on YA Newswatcher. By using that code _and then charging for
    it_ the author violated his license. If you use Thoth you are using stolen
    goods.
    > You can get it from [url]http://www.thothsw.com/[/url] if
    > you'd like to try it out. It's shareware. For my needs, it's ideal,
    > but there are many newsreaders out there, so it pays to try them out to
    > see which fits you best.
    >

    > I'd start here:
    >
    > [url]http://www.newsreaders.com/mac/clients.html[/url]
    >

    > Scroll about 2/3 of the way down for the OSX Newsreaders category.

    --
    We are Microsoft of Borg. You will be assimilated. Stability is irrelevant.
    Where _you_ want to go to today is irrelevant. We will add your currency to

    Charles Dyer Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:30:50 -0500, Robin Wade wrote
    (in message <olednZWMzfH3ZWSjXTWJhgcomcast.com>):
    > I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > rw

    Hogwasher is very good. MT-Newswatcher is also quite nice. YA-Newswatcher
    will never be upgraded to OS X as the author has based Thoth on it. Warning:
    Thoth is based on Newswatcher code and the author is charging for it in
    violation of the Newswatcher license.

  9. #9

    Check out <http://www.macorchard.com/usenet.html>.

    Drew

    In article <olednZWMzfH3ZWSjXTWJhgcomcast.com>,
    Robin Wade <waderobinmac.com> wrote:
    > I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > rw

    The Mac Orchard - [url]http://www.macorchard.com/[/url]
    Essential Internet Applications since 1995
    Drew D. Saur Guest

  10. #10

    In article <250620031548487308%garnernetstreet.net>,
    Garner Miller <garnernetstreet.net> wrote:
    > In article <olednZWMzfH3ZWSjXTWJhgcomcast.com>, Robin Wade
    > <waderobinmac.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.
    >
    > I really like Thoth. You can get it from [url]http://www.thothsw.com/[/url] if
    > you'd like to try it out. It's shareware.
    You mis-spelled crippleware.

    Jim
    Jim Guest

  11. #11

    In article <sdfisher-2BC0EE.18465825062003shawnews.vc.shawcable.net>,
    Steven Fisher <sdfisherspamcop.net> wrote:
    > In article <250620031548487308%garnernetstreet.net>,
    > Garner Miller <garnernetstreet.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I really like Thoth. You can get it from [url]http://www.thothsw.com/[/url] if
    >
    > As long as you don't mind that by buying it you're helping the author of
    > some components of it cheat the license on the source code he admitted
    > to using -- until, of course, it was pointed out that he was cheating
    > the license.
    You mean he actually admitted that Thoth was based on YA-NW until he was
    cornered on the license, then changed his story? I thought he
    *always* denied it - even though it's blatantly obvious that Thoth is
    based on YA.

    What a . I was using cracked versions of Thoth until MT 3.2 came
    out, then I erased it from my system. With glee.

    Jim
    Jim Guest

  12. #12

    In article <0001HW.BB20D2B20011E098F0407600enews.newsguy.com >, Charles
    Dyer <charlesdnewsguy.com> wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:48:48 -0500, Garner Miller wrote
    > (in message <250620031548487308%garnernetstreet.net>):
    >
    > > In article <olednZWMzfH3ZWSjXTWJhgcomcast.com>, Robin Wade
    > > <waderobinmac.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm brand new to newsgroups. Could you suggest a newsreader please.
    > >
    > > I really like Thoth.
    >
    > Thoth is based on YA Newswatcher. By using that code _and then charging for
    > it_ the author violated his license. If you use Thoth you are using stolen
    > goods.
    So the caretaker of YANW is supposed to keep updating it and even port
    it to OSX for free just because it's an offspring of a collaborative
    product of the past when these things were free? Is all the work B.C.
    put on making this the best newsreader worth nothing? Trust me,
    whatever he charges for Thoth is (a) worth it to the user and (b) not
    going to compensate him enough for the toil.

    I used YANW for free and liked it. I think I am one of just a handful
    of people who paid something to encourage B.C. to continue updating it.

    Thoth works great full stop. But hey, use anything you like. Just
    keep in mind that the only way you'll get something better than Thoth
    is to pay for Thoth. Or hope Microsoft makes you a freebie one day -
    "no strings attached" - hahahaha.

    > > You can get it from [url]http://www.thothsw.com/[/url] if
    > > you'd like to try it out. It's shareware. For my needs, it's ideal,
    > > but there are many newsreaders out there, so it pays to try them out to
    > > see which fits you best.
    > >

    > > I'd start here:
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.newsreaders.com/mac/clients.html[/url]
    > >

    > > Scroll about 2/3 of the way down for the OSX Newsreaders category.

    dborg Guest

  13. #13

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 9:31:48 -0400, dborg wrote
    (in message <270620032331483478%dborgleech.com>):
    > I used YANW for free and liked it. I think I am one of just a handful
    > of people who paid something to encourage B.C. to continue updating it.
    I also paid and just a few weeks later it was announced that there would be
    no further development of YANW. When I publicly grumped it was stated that
    what I paid for wasn't continued development but continued support.

    -- James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

    James L. Ryan Guest

  14. #14

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 8:31:48 -0500, dborg wrote
    (in message <270620032331483478%dborgleech.com>):
    > In article <0001HW.BB20D2B20011E098F0407600enews.newsguy.com >, Charles
    > Dyer <charlesdnewsguy.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:48:48 -0500, Garner Miller wrote
    >> (in message <250620031548487308%garnernetstreet.net>):

    >>> I really like Thoth.
    >>
    >> Thoth is based on YA Newswatcher. By using that code _and then charging
    >> for
    >> it_ the author violated his license. If you use Thoth you are using stolen
    >> goods.
    >
    > So the caretaker of YANW is supposed to keep updating it and even port
    > it to OSX for free just because it's an offspring of a collaborative
    > product of the past when these things were free?
    If he didn't like the terms of the license he was free to create something
    new. He dind't. He stole the other people's work and is charging for them.
    > Is all the work B.C.
    > put on making this the best newsreader worth nothing? Trust me,
    > whatever he charges for Thoth is (a) worth it to the user and (b) not
    > going to compensate him enough for the toil.
    >
    > I used YANW for free and liked it. I think I am one of just a handful
    > of people who paid something to encourage B.C. to continue updating it.
    I paid. Two weeks after I paid, he yanked public updates to YANW. He
    continued to send updates to the privileged few, a group with did not inlude
    those who'd paid.

    > Thoth works great full stop. But hey, use anything you like. Just
    > keep in mind that the only way you'll get something better than Thoth
    > is to pay for Thoth. Or hope Microsoft makes you a freebie one day -
    > "no strings attached" - hahahaha.
    Bull. Look at the User-Agent line on my posts. I use Hogwasher.

  15. #15

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 9:04:52 -0500, James L. Ryan wrote
    (in message <0001HW.BB21C833004B52D2F0284600news.earthlink.ne t>):
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 9:31:48 -0400, dborg wrote
    > (in message <270620032331483478%dborgleech.com>):
    >
    >> I used YANW for free and liked it. I think I am one of just a handful
    >> of people who paid something to encourage B.C. to continue updating it.
    >
    > I also paid and just a few weeks later it was announced that there would be
    > no further development of YANW.
    Same here.
    > When I publicly grumped it was stated that
    > what I paid for wasn't continued development but continued support.
    The man's a bloody thief. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on
    me. He ain't getting one more penny out of me.

  16. #16

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:13:34 -0500, RPH wrote
    (in message <pleasedontspamme-6D1E80.19140427062003typhoon.sonic.net>):

    > can any Hogwasher user comment on its capabilities for downloading
    > binaries?
    The only major problem with downloading binaries (or anything else which was
    segmented, for any reason) is that Hogwasher is pretty strict about what it
    considers to be a segment. If it doesn't think that _all_ the segments are
    there, it won't download the file, not even as text so that you can
    hand-assemble it. This can be irritating when there're three segments, all
    three clearly visible, but set up in such a way that Hogwasher considers them
    to be three seperate segments of three different files, and so won't download
    _any_ of them.
    > i've been an MT-NW fan for years, but it has several
    > limitations (or missing features, call it what you will) for solid
    > handling of large binary downloads.
    >
    > i looked briefly at Thoth but decided it's not for me. not sure what
    > alternatives there are, even, outside Hogwasher. (note: i have not been
    > playing much with MT-NW 3.3b; i deleted it after less than a day, after
    > discovering its handling of binary threads that start with "0/N" lead-in
    > messages was completely broken.)
    >
    > needed features: complete lack of failure to halt all threads when one
    > thread puts up an alert (probably the worst thing about MT-NW in this
    > area);
    What do you mean by this? What kind of alert are you talking about?
    > much larger than MT-NW's 25,000 limitation for header fetching;
    No problem, I see one subscription which has 30,000 headers, it loaded them
    without a problem. A subscription in Hogwasher is not necessarily just one
    newsgroup. That particular subscription is in fact _three_ related nwsgroups.
    There'd be more headers there except that I told Hogwasher to purge
    everything older than 21 days.
    > smarter header fetching for sply read groups (MT-NW fetches tons of
    > individual headers in this case-- can take a half hour, over DSL, to
    > fetch headers for a popular group that I have intermittently marked as
    > read the previous day).
    Hogwasher doesn't reload headers the way the Newswatchers do. You download
    the headers _once_, and there they stay, until they expire on the server
    (Hogwasher periodically purges expired headers, so you don't have to) or
    until you remove them. It can take a long time for Hogwasher to download
    headers for a new newsgroup the first time you look at it, especially over
    dial-up, but once you've downloaded it the first time it usually takes only a
    few minutes to update even monster newsgroups. And you can set schedules
    which will automatically update the headers for you, especially if you're on
    broadband. Hogwasher records which newsgroups have been accessed and when,
    and stores the header info for you.

    If you mark a post for reading, it downloads the post, and _that_ stays
    forever or until you remove it. Posts you're not downloaded are plain text,
    with no indicator marks in the symbol column. Posts you've downloaded but not
    read are bold text. Posts you've read are plain text, with a green checkmark.
    Posts marked for download are plain text, with a magenta box. Downloaded text
    posts have symbols which are different from those of pix binaries which are
    different from sound binaries which are different from movie binaries which
    are different from generic or undetermined binaries. Pix, sounds, and movies
    which are in some format QuickTime knows can be previewed in the app.

    > nice-to-have feature: ability to pause (not merely cancel) a download
    > thread.
    That it doesn't have.

  17. #17

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:46:17 +1000, Charles Dyer wrote
    (in message <0001HW.BB23BD290003761BF0305600enews.newsguy.com >):

    [snippity]
    >> much larger than MT-NW's 25,000 limitation for header fetching;
    >
    > No problem, I see one subscription which has 30,000 headers, it
    > loaded them without a problem. A subscription in Hogwasher is
    > not necessarily just one newsgroup. That particular subscription
    > is in fact _three_ related nwsgroups.
    I have 7 groups each in two subscriptions ('Mac - General', 'Mac -
    Programming'). The only limit seems to be that the groups have to
    be on a single server.
    > There'd be more headers there except that I told Hogwasher to purge
    > everything older than 21 days.
    I have 124,750 downloaded articles in a subscription comprised of 2
    groups [that's back to early April]. I must get around to throwing
    the older stuff, as opening that subscription takes my machine
    almost 30 seconds.

    Perhaps worth mentioning is Hogwasher's ability to automatically
    archive posts based on filters [which are fairly flexible], and
    similarly 'auto-mark for download' articles based on filters.

    [...]

    Have Fun
    Martin

    Martin Crisp Guest

  18. #18

    Just want to say "thanks" to everyone who felt the need to dish me out
    a moral diatribe I didn't ask for. If you have an issue with Brian
    Clark's ethics, take it out on him, not me. Accusing me of using
    "stolen goods" is not appreciated. Grind your axe on someone else.

    Thank you.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=

  19. #19

    In article <010720031718162279%garnernetstreet.net>, Garner Miller
    <garnernetstreet.net> wrote:
    > Just want to say "thanks" to everyone who felt the need to dish me out
    > a moral diatribe I didn't ask for. If you have an issue with Brian
    > Clark's ethics, take it out on him, not me. Accusing me of using
    > "stolen goods" is not appreciated. Grind your axe on someone else.
    Here are the facts:

    1) Brian Clark says that by the time YA-Newswatcher had evolved into
    Thoth, there was no Newswatcher code left in it.
    2) Northwestern University has taken absolutely no legal action
    against Brian Clark despite undoubtedly being aware of Thoth.
    3) Nobody who says Thoth contains Newswatcher code actually has
    source code for Thoth so they have no way to know whether this
    claim is true, let alone prove it to others.

    Conclusion: they're all talking out their asses anyway.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  20. #20

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 4:33:01 -0500, Steve wrote
    (in message <0001HW.BB20360D0013682507487860text.giganews.com >):
    > I have heard a lot of good things about Hogwasher. I use it myself :-)
    Snork.

    I also use Hogwasher. It's the best compromise if you do binaries as well.

    --
    It's not what you don't know that'll hurt you - it's what you _do_ know
    that isn't so.

    Verne Arase Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast